Distracting Shot should be removed.

90 Goblin Rogue
Hunters should not have this ability anymore as they keep pulling from tanks even after you yell at them. Its just a bad hunter move. They die and blame the tank.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Well there is a glyph that makes it to where it is a taunt that give threat to your pet now. While the utility is small and I don't think its as useful with other glyph such as the Misdirect one the ability still has some use.

That is essentially like saying we should take Tricks away from Rogues because some might give their threat to a DPS or worse a healer and wipe a group.

What I am trying to say is nearly every class has an ability that can be, and is by some people, used wrong. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
09/23/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Vepila
Hunters should not have this ability anymore as they keep pulling from tanks even after you yell at them. Its just a bad hunter move. They die and blame the tank.

wait, what?

troll nonsense
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
No.

As someone who takes soloing seriously, do not take our utility away because there are a few rotten apples who misuse the spell.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
If you don't want it removed Beat the people who keep using it, Dying and blaming the healer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
They die and blame the tank.

Wait.... you mean hunters can do this? cause, I've been kicked from groups because the tanks break my cc, and say I didn't cc right...

09/23/2012 11:16 PMPosted by Vepila
If you don't want it removed Beat the people who keep using it, Dying and blaming the healer.

My blame is almost never the healer (unless they are clearly undergeared)... it's either a dumb move I've made or another DPS (which happens, but not too often), or a tank that is so full of himself that they cannot do any wrong, but does so time and time again.
Edited by Romolus on 9/23/2012 11:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman

If actually used correctly, this ability is actually useful. The problem is Blizzard gives players skills like this and doesn't really explain when to use them.

I still think things like Misdirection need a much simplified tooltip.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have never seen a hunter distracting shot a boss off a tank, unless it was LFR and someone wasn't playing nice. And a decent tank would have threat back in 1 or 2 globals.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
09/24/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Elvay
I have never seen a hunter distracting shot a boss off a tank, unless it was LFR and someone wasn't playing nice. And a decent tank would have threat back in 1 or 2 globals.

I do it quite a bit when needed.

Ie healer and tank are struggling and tank needs space to get healed up from almost dead.

Distract>Kite>Deter>Feign. Will usually buy enough time to stabilise.

Also use it to tuant down mobs (Skyrim trash, Beth spinners) and also trap off a pull gone bad.

as a Side note, Distracting shot wont work in LFR outisde of skyrim trash, much to my chagrin when I could have saved wipes with it a few times.
Edited by Vaelkyri on 9/24/2012 2:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
95 Human Hunter
09/24/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Elvay

You must not pug dungeons very often...

It is kind of an odd ability, especially now that tanky pets have their own taunt. It's not exactly priority numero uno, but I wouldn't mind if it went the way of Detect Magic.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
09/24/2012 02:11 AMPosted by Vaelkyri
as a Side note, Distracting shot wont work in LFR outisde of skyrim trash, much to my chagrin when I could have saved wipes with it a few times.

It was changed to not work on raid bosses in general after "creative uses of game mechanics" appeared in T11 that helped trivialize certain encounters. Just think how easy it would be to handle Baleroc or Chimaeron if you could have the Hunter taunt just before their big attacks?

In my guild groups, I use Distracting Shot regularly. I know how my tanks and healers are going to react and they don't panic when they see what's happening. I could see using Growl similarly to help avoid wipes.

09/24/2012 05:06 AMPosted by Kasteen
It is kind of an odd ability, especially now that tanky pets have their own taunt. It's not exactly priority numero uno, but I wouldn't mind if it went the way of Detect Magic.

They need to change when you learn Distracting Shot and Misdirection. As a Hunter, you should get your threat transfer in the 20s, or 30s at the latest, and your fixate in the 70s or 80s. Misdirection as a level 76 skill makes no sense.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Saurfang Blood Beasts
/thread
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Well there is a glyph that makes it to where it is a taunt that give threat to your pet now.

The glyph should have made the target attack the nearest rogue.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
09/24/2012 02:11 AMPosted by Vaelkyri

I do it quite a bit when needed.

Ie healer and tank are struggling and tank needs space to get healed up from almost dead.

Distract>Kite>Deter>Feign. Will usually buy enough time to stabilise.

Also use it to tuant down mobs (Skyrim trash, Beth spinners) and also trap off a pull gone bad.

I mean as a method of trolling, as the OP implied. Of course there are great situation to use it, or hunters probably wouldnt have it.

09/24/2012 05:06 AMPosted by Kasteen

You must not pug dungeons very often...

Been playing the game for 6 years. I've seen just about everything. Never seen a hunter distracting shot a boss off a tank. If I did, he would be removed from the group. No problem, no drama. Certainly no complaining on the forums.

Distracting shot works well on the portals on the first trash pulls in LFR. You shoot those and feign. The attack doesnt show up on combat log, and you wipe the raid.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
09/23/2012 11:16 PMPosted by Vepila
Perhaps you should get better tanks. Taunt still overrides it.

And those players you are talking about are in fact, bad. The game should not be balanced around your lowest potential, but instead your highest potential.

09/24/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Elvay
Been playing the game for 6 years. I've seen just about everything. Never seen a hunter distracting shot a boss off a tank.
They probably aren't making correct use of their entire tool kit. For several soloing fights, it becomes embedded into your brain to use it as a defensive act for your tank (the pet in this case). For mobs and such that it will work on, distracting is a great way to relieve pressure from your tank.
Edited by Lazyguide on 9/24/2012 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
They might not even be using it, just attacking too early and pulling aggro. There's a great addon called WhoTaunted which tells whenever anyone uses a taunt, including Distracting Shot. Hasn't been updated in a while I think but still works well. I find it almost indispensable now.
Reply Quote
Mad rouge is mad, nothing to see here.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
Actually this ability can really come in handy. I find myself using it every so often when we either have an undergeared tank, undergeared healer or just too many adds. Tanks Hp below 20% and dropping fast? Distracting shot the biggest guy off him. Deterrence= invulnerable (pretty much) for 5seconds. Tank Still need more help? Distracting shot 2nd mob, Rediness+Deterrence again. If the tank isnt back up 2 full Hp you can YET AGAIN Distracting shot, kite then FD once mob gets in melee range. You Can easily bounce 2 mobs around so they aren't beating on the tank. So, just cause you have a few dumb hunters that get themselves killed... wooptie do. If the healer cant spare time to heal the hunter let him die. We have so many ways not to die we normally wont need heals.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]