Game Crashing Too Often

95 Human Hunter
I run an Acer Aspire (notebook)Laptop equip with an Intel Core i5-2450M processor, an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540m graphics card with 1GB of dedicated VRAM, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB Hard-drive.

When patch 5.0.4 came out I was worried that my little notebook couldn't handle the new graphics they were integrating, considering that the my recommended system setting (in-game) dropped from good to fair.

To the contrary, I was astonished when my game was running with frames reaching 130 on the same setting I was using before the update.

Now my problem is this: ever since patch 5.0.5 my game has been crashing. Frequently, might I add. At first I thought it might have been this new addon I had been trying out, Soundtrack. So, I went ahead and uninstalled that addon, plus the rest of them. Didn't change a darn thing.

So, I took the liberty of uninstalling the game completely off my hard-drive. Didn't help, if anything it made it worse because just before I wrote this, my game crashed in less then 10 minutes of the first crash. I can usually play for around an hour or two without it crashing.

My graphics driver had been updated at the time of patch 5.0.5, so I thought it might have been that. I reinstalled my driver right before I unistalled WoW completely. Nothing changed.

I refuse to roll-back drivers just for WoW, as my other games I play (i.e. Minecraft) run better with this new driver.

Is anyone else having this often game crashing problem?

If this persists I will stop playing all-together. If a Blizzard employee sees this, please, for the love of God, help a brother out.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If WoW is the only game where this crashing can be observed, roll back the driver. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with it.

Also, 5.0.4 patch is putting more stress on the GPU than before. It's possible your GPU is overheating. You should run HWMonitor, then run WoW in windowed mode, not minimized, go sit in the center of the town or where there's people, then report me the CPU and GPU temperature after a bit.
Reply Quote
95 Human Hunter
I think I may just go ahead and roll back. It kills me to keep my system not up to date, but I guess it's not too bad seeing as I never upgraded to the new OpenSUSE desktop when it started to look like a tablet operating system.

As far as the overheating goes that's not a problem. I run a laptop and you can literally feel it when a laptop overheats.

I guess I'm more frustrated than anything, really. It bugs me that NVIDIA took the time to say specifically that this new driver update is "...optimized for the upcoming World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria expansion set." Yeah, gimme' a break.

I'll most likely take it to the NVIDIA forums, as well as a nice email sent directly to the customer support for NVIDIA.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]