Final thoughts~ Cata Memories thread

90 Blood Elf Paladin
WE MADE IT! The cataclysm is over, and Pandaria is about to open up.

That being said, what are your favorite and least favorite memories, events, quests, pvp scenarios, etc. that happened during these past two years? Are you happy for MoP or do you want cata to stay? Out of 10, what would you rate cataclysm?

___

My favorite memories are those of joining NoR and having a great pvp family, starting to pvp for my first time during the middle of cata, meeting a TON of new people, all the arenas, and joining the Hush!

5/10, the PvP/PvE mix was extremely unbalanced with all of the accessible legendary items, the raid content got old fast, and the dungeons didn't stay fun for more than 2 weeks after leveling. Only until late in the game did they listen to the 'appearance tab' idea, which turned into transmogrification. I wasn't too impressed with it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun. How about yall?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Mmm... My favorite part wasn't really about Cataclysm, so much as it was about me just finally being 'good' at Demonology throughout this Cataclysm. I personally don't really like this new Demonology all that much, as it feels like there are just too many of them now than there should be. Eh, but I'll make due with my new Demonoloy brethren.

Favorite memories of this expansion would have to be actually downing Deathwing while he was current content with my old guild, <Felmyst in Ninja Gear>. Because lets be honest... Just being able to get the people in a raid group to attempt DS was an accomplishment for that guild >_> Other than that, joining Ninth Orgrimmar Regiment last week would be another great memory I had of Cataclysm.... Well, if a memory during the 5.0 patch still counts as a Cataclysm memory.

Overall, I would give Cataclysm a 4/10, because the actual content of Cata really did not satisfy me at all. The only good thing that I saw about it was Transmog. Other than that, I just didn't like it.
Reply Quote
I enjoyed doing quests in the revamped starting zones. When you first get to Darkshore and have to find survivors brought back memories of when I first rolled a character and I was sad to see the quest givers and fish vendor I sold all my junk to gone.

Vashj'ir was....annoying to say the least. I hated swimming around and I always seemed to overlook something because of it. Though my favorite line did come from the quests there (Thrall's balls!). I do have to throw it the "new" quests that were added to the revamped zones to my least favorite part as well.
http://www.fanboys-online.com/new-and-improved-2/

So far, I'm looking forward to MoP. I love the new minor glyphs, I love the new looting system so far, I LOVE AoE looting and I'm excited with all the new fun stuff that's going to be added. I am afraid that all these new shinies are going to blind me for what may be a crappy expansion. At least I can be the very best like no one ever was.

Cata? I give you a 5/10. You had potential but you just didn't live up to it. Thanks for the transmog and a little variety to the world.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Revamped zones made Cata like a new game for me. I was able to move to a new server with one character, roll a million alts AND get them all to 85, and the only things I had to do twice were blasted lands and BC/Wrath zones. THAT is a huge deal for me. Solo content was great, though with all they've given us in Pandaria, if my playstyle remains as it is, it'll knock everything else right out of the water.

I didn't do the amount of dungeoneering and raiding I did in Wrath, BC or Vanilla, but that was my out fault.

My favorite xpack so far was wrath, but Cata was well worth the money. It game the whole game a face lift, which it needed. 8/10.

My best memories of Cata have to do with the few interactions I have had with people. Tradechat, cesspool that it may be, has been one of my favorite places this year- at least as far as the game goes. My pregnancy was really tough (pelvic rest from month three lolo) and then having a new baby is always hard, so I did not get to do the amount of raiding and dungeoneering I have in previous expansions. My first LFR was last month, I think? And I missed all the non-LFR raids, so that was balls. He wakes up at the "DuuunuuNAAAAAH" dungeon sound, no matter how low the volume is. Yeeeaaaaaah. Naptime instances don't work so well.

I'm glad I came to WrA. The people here > the game, and I really, really like the game.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Oh, whoops. Kanuckles is me. Sorreh.
Reply Quote
I was really digging the new stuff in Cata's revamped zones. It breathed life into the game for me and continues to do so.

I loved hopping on board of the ship to Vashj'ir as a bright eyed, clueless adventurer. And imagine my surprise when the Kraken hit! I loved Vashj'ir, the lore, the beauty of underwater, and the thrill of it all (and how hard cata mobs hit at first ;~;).

But then Blizzard said "Nope. Vashj'ir won't be doing any raids in that zone, so it's now pointless. But you can do Firelands raids and stuff... if you went through Hyjal." And myself picking Vashj'ir hated HAVING to do something like Hyjal EVERY SINGLE DAMNED TIME.

But it was all about the revamping, and Blizzard accomplished that.
It was also the second time I ran current content raids with a guild that I actually liked!
I also found some quality RP for a while and learned that being an officer is a huge stressful undertaking. And though I don't RP much anymore due to pre-expac lull, I still look forward to getting back into it starting in twelve hours!

Transmog was a huge joy for me, and flying in Azeroth took a good home in my heart, allowing me to explore every square inch of the place, finding easter eggs galore!

But when I see Hyjal and Vashj'ir... Deepholm and Uldum, then Twilight Highlands... It's all so separated and discombobulated for RP use. Fly through Uldum and you can -feel- what was potential just sitting there, waiting for its hey-day. Hopefully MoP will allow more open world RP due to all the zones being on a single continent.

Overall, I'd give Cataclysm a 7/10.
I just wish Blizzard hadn't made Vashj'ir irrelevant, thus making the 80-85 grind repetitive as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
First, people. I've met some pretty cool people during this expansion. Certainly not least is my Alliance-side guild, which is filled with amazing people I'm quite sure I'll be keeping in contact with when WoW itself finally dies ( if ever). I've leveled the most toons to max level so far with this expansion. And transmog was certainly a good touch, but still rather disappointing with all the restrictions.

As for zones.. Vash'jr had a nice idea, poor execution. Mount Hyjal was alright, but also felt too long, and I'm not really a druid person ( i.e. couldn't give a damn about World Trees burning). Deepholm reminded me that rock people shouldn't love. Uldum could have been interesting, but it was an Indiana Jones movie. With cat people. That I, again, didn't give a damn about. Twilight Highlands was probably the most interesting zone to me, and emphasized the Alliance / Horde warfare that MoP will probably be playing on. I realize I actually prefer Northrend and Outland's zones to the new ones all in all. And the Guardians of Hyjal dailies annoy me to no end. Alas, gold is gold either way.

Some of the new stories were interesting - such as the Badlands questline - and the streamlined quests made it easier to sweep through. I did like the caravan in EPL, and I loved toying with vehicle mechanics. I'm terribly disappointed that they removed Wrathgate's quests post-plague-explosion, though. I mean, all of Outlands and most of Northrend is like its own Caverns of Time as compared to the rest of Azeroth - why couldn't we experience that event in all its glory and emotional tug?

LFR was cool, too. In fact, I'd say most of Cataclysm's mechanics changes were neat.. but I'm not a fan of the stat losses. Which I'm afraid MoP is said to be. Reduced scaling on crit and haste is going to - feel - lousy, even if the damage is evened out.

In general, I'd put Cata as 6/10. Has promise, but it got wasted. In comparison, Wrath gets an 8. Limited models, but I liked the story and feel.
Edited by Voragos on 9/24/2012 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
For me, my guild! After being here on WrA for awhile, Cata was around the time when I first to started to seriously attempt to RP and get involved in the community. I've met some great people, and some great people have also drifted away. I'm hope that they come back. <3

I think one of the funniest memories was happily flying around the Barrens just checking things out... then wondering why everything went all red... and then falling dead from the sky and seeing the achievement pop up. It took a minute or two before I figured out what the hell had happened. :P

I also loved having the old content updated and new areas to explore. I loved Vashj'ir and epecially the Battlemaiden quest chain. And Uldum is to me, has some of the best postcard scenery ever! I flew through the other day trying to find a location for a possible event. ANd all I could think was "what a wasted opportunity this place was."
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I'm going to miss Cataclysm, but at the same time, I am heavily looking foward to Mists of Pandaria and helping my guild move foward in anyway possible with progression in raids.

I've played WoW for several years, but with this expansion unlike previous ones, I started late and I never got to do current-content raids until Dragon Soul. It was cool being let into a group of raiders that can raid organically and help the second team finish progression, when I was fresh to raids.

One night, the guild did an old school firelands run during Dragon Soul content, and not completing heroic ragnoros yet, we eventually killed him, but the mechanics and awareness each raider needed to defeat him was amazing, much more amazing than the mechanics DS had.

My complaint about Cataclysm isn't about how bad Vash'jr was to some people since it wasn't that useful, or how annoying a class was in PvP, or even about how the female worgen looked. I was disappointed that Firelands was still a lot cooler than the final raid that was to end it all. I was displeased with how the DS raid felt milked out, and how it was nerfed to all ends. Firelands is still hard for those with DS experience, idk what Blizzard was thinking with this raid being the closing raid of the expansion. Sunwell/BT was amazing, ICC was amazing, Naxx 40 back in the day was cool too. DS was easy.

Cata will not be as cool as BC or Vanilla, and it was not even as good as WotlK. I feel like MoP will be amazing however, and I am going to that midnight party tonight at Gamestop and I will be no-life leveling for the next few days =]
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Cataclysm revamped the entire world. It did so much that I still have yet to see all of the new content they added and only have loremaster because I did it in the old days. I loved the new zones, all of which were gorgeous, and I enjoyed the revamps that I've done. I rolled a goblin and a worgen and enjoyed them both, though only my goblin hit 85 (this morning so I could do Theramore <.< ) and I found myself rolling more alts than ever before. The storylines got me more hooked than I had been in some time (though that was probably the end of expansion lul from WoTLK more than anything).

Transmog is a godsend (albeit a rather restriced one), the LFG/LFR worked wonders for getting people to see content. Prior to it I had only seen a few encounters in BRD and BoT... got to see new and interesting minor characters who were likable and, for some, rather nuanced. Wrathion and Cho'gall amongst others go in this list. Seeing the conflicts begin to bubble up and the real action starting, I was overjoyed. That confused me though as I had been an OOC advocate of peace between the Horde and Alliance, lol.

What went wrong with Cata? Timeline issues. They. Are. Everywhere. And there seems to be a disconnect that formed between CDev and the quest designers, which is made apparent in zones like Silverpine. Metzen says that the Forsaken would NOT attack neutral Dalaran forces, yet they do just that. Word of god decanonized it, but it happened. Thrall butted into the Staghelm storyline, which should not have happened after all the build up between he and Furion; Anduin acts like he's 17 when he's around 14; is it year 27 or 30!? Voice acting was too sporadic, with some people in encounters have voices while others didn't... what does a Tol'vir NPC sou nd like? Couldn't tell from the in-game Ramakhan. Underexposure of Alliance leaders while villain batting Horde ones...

Cata is a 7.5/10 for me, but it definitely had its issues. From what I hear though, MoP is handling these issues quite well. Even Lor'themar will supposedly show up to push the B-Elf story forward!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Let's see... Cataclysm...

yeah.

Revamped Zones, for a little while, until I found out how they overdid it with the pop culture references. I loved Vash'jr and Uldum. Flying in Azeroth was kind of cool, for a while.
I liked the heroics mechanics before the nerfs. Goblins and Worgen are kind of neat, but I seriously hate the female worgen model.
Transmog. Yes. That was the best about Cata.
Not gonna miss it. I'm glad it's gone.
Edited by Taditkara on 9/24/2012 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
RPing with my awesome RP friends at Hyjal during the Molten Front.

Finally killing Ragnaros.

Getting our Dragon Soul meta drakes 2 days before Mists :D
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
I didn’t enjoy Cata at all. There was very little about it that actually interested me, on both an IC and OOC level … which is a strange thing to say given the drastic changes wrought upon Azeroth. It just missed something that I can't really put a finger on.

Wrath had its issues but at least drew me into the story, and I had a family of friends that I could raid with comfortably and see some end-game content. I can’t say the same for this expansion.

However, during the Cataclysm time period, I managed to break away from my old server and restart here. I’ve had some really great RP. It’s just been a bittersweet mix because I miss the people that I essentially “grew up with” in WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
This was my first full expansion after ignoring WoW for 95% of Vanilla through Wrath, and only playing seriously in the last few months of Wrath. That was a level grind, so I didn't do much in terms of engaging the content.

This expansion saw me go from noob to raider to raid leader. I went from participating in RP on a one-to-one basis to working with other groups to leading them to coordinating long-term events. I picked up a legendary item and I achieved my originally stated goal of killing "that ugly lava-dragon" on the cover.

Could it have been better? Probably. But whatever flaws the expansion had, I like to think I got as much out of it as was possible. I had no prior expectations from the earlier expacs, so I didn't feel the same disappointment as a lot of other players. From here, MoP can only improve for me.

Now I just have to figure out how to fit all of that stuff into my schedule again.
Reply Quote
The first time through questing was amazing. The zones were old but new to us, and the flow was smooth (minus one or two hiccups.)

Even the cut scenes and the Harrison Jones story line were tons of fun running through. Until I did them 11 times.

I also enjoyed getting the "Stood in the Fire" achievement. I got it 3 times, and twice in the EXACT SAME SPOT in Twilight Highlands. Every time the sky would go red, everyone would flip out and start scrambling like mad. We need to have more stimulating random events like that in my opinion.

It added an element of excitement to questing. You always had one eye on the sky.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Holycrap Cataclysm. I don't even know where to start.

Cata was the first time I raided current content, the first time I did arenas, and basically the first time I branched out from my personal corner and ~made friends~.

As a personal experience, 10/10, because I had so much fun with everything if only because I was never able to enjoy an expansion to its full extent before. Sure, there was drama and disappointment and a lot of derping, but I look back on it all fondly.

As a game, there was nothing more frustrating then struggling with my personal spec-of-choice and dealing with its limits. Before 4.3 I didn't even bother trying to seriously raid because of how nerfed fire was in comparison to arcane. And PvP? With the exception of a handful of people, I could pretty much give up any dreams of working my way to victory in RBGs or arenas. And, to be honest, I still wasn't a great mage in either situation, but nothing killed me more than being passed up for a player of equal skill if only because they were a little more viable.

And then 4.3 came and I rained fiery destruction upon Azeroth. You think Deathwing was bad? HAHAHAHAHA.

To all of my new friends, to all of my respected Alliance enemies, I'd like to thank you the most for making this expansion the best thing ever. And I'd like a moment of silence for all of my friends that were lost to GW2, warcraft won't be the same without them.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Cata was a great expansion in its own way. I attribute all the hate to elitists who just leveled their mains from 80 to 85, blasted through the raid content and then complained they were bored.

Cata reworked the entire 1-60 experience, particularly the starting zones for the classic races, and improved the questing experience soo much. Having trudged through the classic leveling experience many times before the invention of heirloom gear and guild perks, I have to say that along with flying in old world is the greatest gift Blizzard ever gave us.

Ahh...the memories. They will always be centered around my guild. We formed during Wrath, but it was in Cataclysm that we started to achieve critical mass, coalesce into a team of Gnomes with a Can-Do attitude, and really begin to exceed everyone's expectations (including my own!) about what is possible for a Gnome guild.

Etched forever on my memory are G4 Gnomes fighting alongside the High Tinker during the Cataclysm launch event.
http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/GnomereganForever/?action=view&current=G4Tinker.jpg
Our first Raid Boss kill.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/GnomereganForever/G4-MC.jpg
Our first anniversary celebration.
http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/GnomereganForever/?action=view&current=G4-Parade03.jpg
Our first Lich King kill.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/GnomereganForever/G4-ICC10-061712a.jpg
Our "Ding Heard Round The World" (possibly the first lvl 25 all-Gnome guild ever) followed by Zarhym's blue post in our thread.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/GnomereganForever/G4-GL25-042212.jpg
That led to the WoW Insider article, which in turn led to so many awesome Gnomes moving to Wyrmrest just to join G4!
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/05/11/guild-blasts-to-level-25-on-100-pure-steam-driven-gnome-power
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/GnomereganForever/G4-Jaina091512_zps48833046.jpg

So while it sad to turn our backs on so many wonderful memories, G4 is entering its third year and thats exciting for us. G4 is thriving! We are looking forward to MoP and we have no intentions of slowing down or accepting commonplace notions of what is possible. Because for Gnomes...anything is possible.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"
Edited by Forbidra on 9/24/2012 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
While it was said in an earlier thread, for me it was my guild.

I co-created and helped MA get to where it is today. The content got a bit old after a while, but running it with the guild and some of our awesome pugs made it some of the best content i've ever run. Sure, I started in wrath and din't experience the "OMGAWEZOMEZ" of BC or Vanilla like most people have been saying, but I had the most fun in Cata because of the guild.

I had originally stopped playing Wow a little after Cata started, but was dragged back in once we had the idea to start the guild. Downing Dw was a joy, even though eh was nerfed. Didn't care much. Still killed him. We didn't do Heroics because we personally couldn't do it. We had fun trying, and that's all that mattered to me.

Lore-wise, i'd say I enjoyed the beginning of Cata. I enjoyed the Shattering book and the relevant tie-ins the game put into it, as well at the launch event that came with it. Although, I sincerely wanted to have some Dragon Soul quests with Rhonin involved, but that's old-lore stuff, I guess. I did enjoy the changes to the world, as well. Tugboating through thousand needles and going "HOLY F THERE'S THREES IN DESOLACE' was a welcome change, if only for a bit.

tl:dr - I enjoyed Cata. The content unfortunately got stale, but my guild kept it fun.
Edited by Valliac on 9/24/2012 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Cata was unique for me because this was the expansion where I threw everything serious out the window to just enjoy the game with my best friend. I did it for Sely, because doing things the old way of asking my guild to bring her along only resulted in sadness, so this expac was just about dragging Sely along kicking and screaming to see all the things that were in the expansion. And since all this takes a group effort, it meant I got to run around and drag ALL my friends into things they wouldn't normally do. People who said at the start "I don't know how to raid we'll wipe horribly" and I got to say "I don't care? Let's go die together!"

Maybe the expansion wasn't the best designed, or the best laid out. But this expansion has been the best experience for me gaming wise, and was the first time that I had a group of people who I liked *outside* of just playing the game, who I wanted to experience new content with. In some ways I'm glad that Cata raiding was a bit easier then wrath raiding, because when our guild started raiding? 3 people had any experience raiding.. at all. Rbgs? At one point we had a group with two people who'd even DONE an rbg before. It gave us a gentle starting point so that people could begin exploring end game content without any stress and tension of having to seriously compete with anything.

And like liquor said, so many thanks to my horde friends and alliance 'enemies'. You guys didn't mind my derp, when I forgot what I was saying mid sentence, when I did something incredibly stupid, or when I did something great. You guys made the game so awesome, and that is what Cataclysm was for me. It wasn't the content, it was the drastic change in the people who played, who just did it for fun. I loved that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Revamped zones made Cata like a new game for me. I was able to move to a new server with one character, roll a million alts AND get them all to 85, and the only things I had to do twice were blasted lands and BC/Wrath zones. THAT is a huge deal for me. Solo content was great, though with all they've given us in Pandaria, if my playstyle remains as it is, it'll knock everything else right out of the water.

I didn't do the amount of dungeoneering and raiding I did in Wrath, BC or Vanilla, but that was my out fault.

My favorite xpack so far was wrath, but Cata was well worth the money. It game the whole game a face lift, which it needed. 8/10.

My best memories of Cata have to do with the few interactions I have had with people. Tradechat, cesspool that it may be, has been one of my favorite places this year- at least as far as the game goes. My pregnancy was really tough (pelvic rest from month three lolo) and then having a new baby is always hard, so I did not get to do the amount of raiding and dungeoneering I have in previous expansions. My first LFR was last month, I think? And I missed all the non-LFR raids, so that was balls. He wakes up at the "DuuunuuNAAAAAH" dungeon sound, no matter how low the volume is. Yeeeaaaaaah. Naptime instances don't work so well.

I'm glad I came to WrA. The people here > the game, and I really, really like the game.

It gets better. I just had my second last November, I still can't really commit to anything during naps but evening gaming is ok. Mainly on the weekends, mind you, weeks are just jam packed and usually tiring. Will be a short time until they are sleeping all night though, so I would love to do evening raids once again towards the end of this xpac. Because, hell, once they sleep all night you miss that cuddle time. They sleep but I wake up still! I love WoW for the fact that I can do something I enjoy, be semi social, and still be right there if a little voice needs me. :)

Between career and family, and all the fun race/class combos Cata brought on, I really saw no endgame this time. Which is perfectly fine. Would love to piddle around in the MoP endgame a bit more, and I want to be in on the Garrosh raid!
Edited by Tij on 9/24/2012 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]