To all the tanks, I'm sorry

32 Blood Elf Warlock
i fooled with a warr tank back in lich king and had a blast. I dont remember having any problems with groups. i quit playing for over a year and recently came back to try out a pally tank. Once i finally hit 15 i was off the the races. things was going so good and i was having such a great time..
well run after run after run i was mowing through the levels and just smiling from ear to ear until around level 25 or so. started doing stockades and the randoms all the sudden turned to A-holes.. Had a hunter, im presuming its a bm. i dont know if his pet had growl on or not but he was yelling at me to keep agro while he pulls everything! i telling him it would help if he would let me tank and i get called a NOOB. Another instance a locks yelling at me to hold aggro while they had there blueberry out taking it from me. this dude dies and calls me worthless. i mean wtf? dies once and and just goes off on me. Of course his warr friend chimes in just to really piss me off honestly i didnt even see what happened so ill take the blame but why be such a d&ck?
I take this personal and i shouldnt because its just a game but i do. i really just want to be the best i can and have a good time but some people in this game just makes me not want to tank.
i just want to say sorry for all the childish a-hole D*ck suckers out there that make your job hard.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It happens. A LOT. But you just have to remember that not all groups are like that. Also we have short queue times.

I'm hoping that challenge modes brings back more premade groups. It's still beyond me why blizzard decided to make the rewards BETTER for randoms. Random is a nice feature, but it should not be BETTER than actually being social in a mmo.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/22/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Brokenpromis
i just want to say sorry for all the childish a-hole D*ck suckers out there that make your job hard.

These are not the people who are going to read this.

Also, tanking means you have to develop a thick skin. Especially if you're just learning, and not learning FROM someone. That said, ignore the a-holes, and keep doing what makes the game fun for you.

(btw, low level tanking is nothing like high level tanking, so just hit 85 quick nps.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
09/22/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Brokenpromis

I have a personal war against DPS! I will go out of my way to kill them in a 5m.
The healer is sacred in my books, but those locks with their blueberry out, Pallys who forgot R.F. on, DK's in blood "Cuz they AOE better", and ALL HUNTERS....

There are tricks to killing them... killing them then non-stop pulling so the healer can't get out of combat to rez them.... then vote to kick when they've been dead 3 mins and can't run back in cuz they're lazy...
Reply Quote
09/22/2012 10:55 PMPosted by Mcnostril

I have a personal war against DPS! I will go out of my way to kill them in a 5m.
The healer is sacred in my books, but those locks with their blueberry out, Pallys who forgot R.F. on, DK's in blood "Cuz they AOE better", and ALL HUNTERS....

There are tricks to killing them... killing them then non-stop pulling so the healer can't get out of combat to rez them.... then vote to kick when they've been dead 3 mins and can't run back in cuz they're lazy...

Lol nice. i love it when people insult the tank because there is nothing they can do, also they think if they call you a noob for asking why an 85 geared DK is rolling need on everything then pull a boss you will step in >.> yeah right. nothing like watching rude bads die.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Im going to play the devils advocate here and say that pet taunts really have nothing to do with PC threat so if a lock died it really has no corrolation to if his blueberry was taunting. Hunters and lock will constantly have pet taunts on its just life but it will only make NPCS attack said pets not the owners. Just to be honest thunderclap is just about enough threat to hold everything and you have to be able to watch the mobs your close to the threat threshold on. The challenge in playing any tank class in a 5 man aoe situation is when you have 3 people going all out and building threat at different speeds on different mobs is to know which ones you have lock down threat on and which ones you dont. There are many addons that support this kind of info such as ElVUI which has a 3 color code for all npcs your tanking....Green=good threat yellow=someone getting close red=not attacking you. There is also Tidy plates and other mods to help you with this.

At your level you only have a few tools so some tips to help you in big aoe situations.
1. Thunderclap on CD
2. Shield Slam on CD for rage regen(these needs to be on mobs that your not way ahead on threat to hold it)

You will get more tools very soon....Revenge Devistate etc that make the tanking much easier.

I think many times we as tanks have this elitest view that we do nothing wrong and if a dps dies and they are the ones at fault and there was nothing we could have done. This is in almost every situation a false statement(note i said almost)

Do you have addons that track threat on multiple targets to identify threat issues before they occur or are you just playing sloppy reactive tank and spank instead of being proactive in your play?

This is just like when tanks die they immediately blame the healer. While at times yes it is the healers fault if you die with even 1 single CD up it was your fault(more pointed at higher level tanks here)

The real message here is to take stock in your own play and be honest with your performance. I know that if I was tanking a 5 man and a warlock died during the course of a normal pull then before I worry about what he was doing I need to be realistic in evaluating my role in that death. Its very easy to jump up and down point fingers and whine "he did it" its much more difficult to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you had played differently would it have even happend.

Good players can be counted on to do thier job.

Great players make everyone around them better because they have the ability to cover up others mistakes in real time so quickly that you dont even notice it happening......IE a heroic throw on a mob that is out of range of your TC or a charge/heroic strike to a mobe that is at range your losing threat on to a caster who is tunneling. Just about every situation you can adapt to and fix the real question is are you that kind of player or not.

Ball in!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
09/23/2012 04:21 AMPosted by Thrack
Im going to play the devils advocate here and say that pet taunts really have nothing to do with PC threat so if a lock died it really has no corrolation to if his blueberry was taunting.

I have to somewhat disagree with this. As you know, a taunt resets aggro to 100% to the pet, thus eliminating any built-up aggro. Most likely, the Lock or Hunter is actively attacking said target. Thus, unless the tank is focusing on that target, the lock or hunter will pull aggro, and possibly die. Honestly, taunts should just be turned off and make lie easier.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
you should hit "enter" more =o

and yeh, get used. Tanks are either hated or loved, there's no middle ground.

Good thing that my "hated" moment was during vanilla, where nobody knew anything anyway so .. it's not like I got bullyed back there =o
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Hunters are beatiful people. Huntards well they like to chug the windex.

Tanking means you must also tank stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
09/23/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Bittermoon
You cannot tank stupid, it has no threat table; it just attacks a random.

Agree on this.

When I was leveling my pally tank, I always have a recount handy for such people and posts where's the dps when i'm always topping the damage meters on every boss.

Anyway, those people also helps you become a better tank. it's like how fast you can react to their stupidity - either you let them die or take the ad away from them.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/23/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Bittermoon
You cannot tank stupid, it has no threat table; it just attacks a random.

Blizz needs to make this one of the loading screen tips.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
As a warlock I want to slap the idiot with his VW out. That should only come out if the tank dies and you’re trying to scramble.

I used to be a tank so I hear you about bad groups. Just keep in mind that yes this is a game and you picked up the shield because you wanted to have fun. If the group makes the rum hellish then explain it to the others and drop. You have short queue times take advantage of them. The only thing you owe your group is to hold aggro, if they won’t let you do your job you don’t owe them anything.
Edited by Torlai on 9/24/2012 7:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My recommendation to you, let them tank. If they want to complain about you not holding aggro when they are doing something wrong, that's fine. Let them kick you and you can get your instant queue to get into another one where you may have better dps.

Tanking is a lot of fun, and it is something that I take a great deal of pride in. Something I hope you get to experience as well as you move forward in WoW.

I do want to edit this in...

Anyway, those people also helps you become a better tank. it's like how fast you can react to their stupidity - either you let them die or take the ad away from them.

This is very good advice, and I think every elite tank got a lot of their skill covering for the unintelligent out there.
Edited by Jezziut on 9/24/2012 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]