New Healing Blog - Healiocentric

90 Draenei Shaman
Hello, healing community!

I have been working very hard on setting up a new healing blog to cover all the healing classes, and I would love to get some feedback on how I could make the site more useful. The site is:

http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/

And for specific class information, you can see:

Druid: http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/whats-new-in-mop/mop-preview-druid-changes/
Monk: http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/whats-new-in-mop/introducing-the-monk/
Paladin: http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/whats-new-in-mop/mop-preview-paladin-changes/
Priest: http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/whats-new-in-mop/mop-preview-priest-changes/
Shaman: http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/whats-new-in-mop/mop-preview-shaman-changes/

I don't claim to be an expert at each of these classes, but I do play every healing class in various levels of progression and I genuinely love to heal. I am hoping that my site can help new and intermediate-level healers become more comfortable with their classes, and perhaps encourage a few non-healers to try their hand.

To this aim, I'd really love to hear back from anyone who has found my site helpful, or who has suggestions on how to improve the site. All feedback is welcome, negative included - just post here or on my site - but I would of course prefer if the feedback is polite :)

Outside of these guides, the site really isn't done. I'll have healer tips for each of the encounters in MoP, and shorter, more succinct healer guides that will link to other community resources and include suggested addons and other goodies. And I hope to start posting some interesting discussions about the role of healers, hybrid healing, and the new talent paradigm very soon.

Thanks in advance! And good luck with MoP! :)

Dayani
healiocentric.wordpress.com
healiocentric ... a blog that revolves around healing ...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I know what I'll be reading on my lunch break today :D

Also, as far as healers I only play Resto shaman and holy priest, but I'll still read it all anyway
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I read your mistweaver and druid guides yesterday and they were very informative and well put together.

A small nitpick is that it'd be nice to have Wowhead tooltips (or WoWDB) on each spell name, for quick reference when you're talking about each spell.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Thanks Restorata! :)

I'd love to do that, too, but unfortunately it's not possible unless I pay for an upgrade to the site - and since I have a bad habit of starting things and then forgetting about them, I haven't done that yet :)

Certainly that is at the top of my list when I upgrade.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've been loving Heliocentric the past few days since I discovered it via the Mistweaver discussion on the Beta Classes Forum! I'm definitely interested to see how it continues to evolve after MoP launch TONIGHT :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What kind of feedback are you looking for?

Feedback regarding appearance, style, cohesion, and flow?

Feedback regarding conclusions drawn?

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I requested a sticky and we probably all should.

Dayani, just wanted to say thanks for all the good work with all Healers on the Beta forums. You were definitely one of the most vocal advocates for Healers in the analysis threads and your opinion has been insightful and helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
So, since I'm at work (on my lunch break, but still work) I went the site on my phone. For some reason it won't load properly and then just stops altogether.

SADFACE
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Riot, any feedback you have regarding any aspect of my site is welcome. I am mostly concerned about the information I've presented - accurate information on an ugly site is much better than inaccurate information on a pretty site - but accurate information on a pretty site is the best of both worlds ;) So anything you got, bring it on - I want to make my site better for you!

Quess ... <3 Aww, thank you! I had a lot of fun in this Beta cycle and I really hope I get to do it again for the next expansion (there is a next expansion, right??). I also really hope the next expansion doesn't have a brand new healing class so I have less work to do ;)

Dailee, I'm sorry to hear that! It worked fine on my Samsung the other day, but today I've got a youtube link embedded on the main page, maybe that is bothering your phone :-(
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
Glad you finally finished, was stalking it ever since I got wind of the early stages when it was just shaman and Druid ^.^.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If you're really nitpicky about accuracy, it's worth noting your ELW model is unrealistically optimized. By giving the spell contribution a maximum 20% modifier, your model assumes ELW stacks.

To illustrate, if you cast a single isolated spell, then for this trial your ELW's expected healing will use a 20% modifier similar to the proposed model. If you cast two spells consecutively on the same target, your modifier immediately drops to 19.2%. This is because 4% of the time (0.2*0.2) you will overwrite an ELW proc, rendering that first proc ineffective. Fortunately an inaccurate ELW model is not very egregious and you could go forever without redefining it and likely be fine.

All that being said, your website is an impressive feat that truly showcases a very insightful mind! I completely associate myself with many of the compliments in this thread and will always enjoy reading your ideas or comments.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
First, let me say thank you for your hard work and effort :)

The site itself:

Nice, clean look. The information (just read the paladin so far) is presented in a logical manner that should be good for both new healers, and those with some seasoning. You might want to consider moving all of the pictures to the right side of the text, since most people read left-to-right. Keep the pics though - they are great, and add a nice flavor.

The information (paladin): if you don't know me, you should know that there is little standard in how I heal, and some of my viewpoints tend to not be shared by the crowd, as it were. I tried to read it from the perspective of a new healer, and then I compared it to my own knowledge and experience, so that is the direction my feedback on the information comes from. On to it, then.

I am going to read it again to make sure, so I might end up editing this post, but you make some assertions regarding Holy Power as fact, that...aren't. They are your opinion, and you support it well, and while they could be seen as mathematical fact, they aren't actual fact. As Prot or Ret, gaining a charge of Holy Power when you are already full is indeed not only a waste, but also a DPS/TPS loss. This is not true for Holy - if you have nothing to use it on, there is no reason to dump Holy Power just to avoid *wasting a gained charge.* You didn't say that people should do that, exactly, but it is implied in the wording on Page 2. Again, I might have misread what you wrote, so I'm going to read it again to make sure.

This next point is part pet peeve, and part reaction to the new healer perspective that I tried to use; I like that you included the math and spreadsheets (and how you presented them), but that section being titled *for the experts* implies that expertise in healing = healing by the math. This is just my opinion, but I would suggest renaming that section to erase that (false) implication. This title would, however, be completely appropriate for DPS, and to a lesser degree, tanking.

That said, two thumbs up from me shouldn't mean anything, but you have them anway. :)

Thanks again, and I will definitely be using your blog as a resource for my Mistweaver, and probably my Shaman and Druid as well.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm participating in crazypants zomglevelling so I won't be able to check this thread for a little while. Aurinaux, Riot, I will have a closer look at your comments when I'm level 90 :D
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
thanks, bookmarking it now.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
New main here. I've found your site to be enjoyable and presented quite well. Well, I like how the monk side of things is looking anyway! I haven't been checking the other parts much yet, but I play pretty much everything too so I definitely will be at some point.

Keep up the good work.
Edited by Lilyira on 9/25/2012 5:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/24/2012 11:11 PMPosted by Sparklefever
This is not true for Holy - if you have nothing to use it on, there is no reason to dump Holy Power just to avoid *wasting a gained charge.
Yes, it is. It's an HPM loss; given our Mastery, dumping a WoG on the tanks won't ever go to waste. We shouldn't be dumping Holy Power when we get to 5 immediately, but we do need to use it on SOMETHING before Holy Shock comes up. Holy Power is immensely important to Holy now, due to how slow we generate it.
This is just my opinion, but I would suggest renaming that section to erase that (false) implication. This title would, however, be completely appropriate for DPS, and to a lesser degree, tanking.
Not really... someone just looking for basic changes is not gonna care at all for spellpower coefficients.

You remind me of someone I used to know - I think I will enjoy our conversations very much indeed. :)

I would concede your point if you take Eternal Flame, but not really otherwise. My point is that, while true a lot of the time, what is written is not blanket fact, yet is written as such. What you suggest also sounds a lot like a debate that went on during Firelands, whcih boiled down to HP heal on a tank when capped to not waste charges, or not. At the end of the day, if you are dumping HP prior to the next HS, the heal portion of it could very well be largely (or completely) wasted. Generally speaking, HP Heal + Shield > Shield only just to avoid wasted charges. The mechanics of the fight in question also determine which is the better course of action, of course. Sometimes the Shield alone is the better choice, and sometimes it isn't. This is why I critiqued it, because it simply is not blanket fact. Also, things like HPM and HPET, while good to know, don't really matter at the end of the day. Which leads us to...

Again, my gripe about the math section isn't the math itself (or the fact that it's there in the first place), my problem with it is just the title - the title imples that you must know and understand this information to be a great (ie, expert) healer. This too, is just untrue. I was merely suggesting a different title for that section. The section itself is well done, in my opinion.

Riôt
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
You remind me of someone I used to know - I think I will enjoy our conversations very much indeed. :)

Hehe... I'm sure we're thinking of totally different people, but I found this amusing all the same.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I didn't read all of them yet but the druid one is really great.

Nice job!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'm not sure how I feel about your analysis of the Holy Paladin level 90 spells. Last time I tested/checked, Light's Hammer didn't have any sort of target cap on it. Has this changed?

If that's still the case, I definitely don't think it should be discounted as an inferior choice for plenty of relevant circumstances.

Really enjoyed the read though =)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]