Blizzards Blind eye to Linux Users.

Linux is not a desktop OS.
Reply Quote
5 Gnome Mage
Before you say hire more people to fix the problem, read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

Blizz is actually really good about making their games open for as many people as possible. It's not as simple as, /cast Linux Convert. If they could they could do it cost efficiently they would.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I'm quitting WoW because I can't play this game in DOS. Incoming ragequit thread. Envy me ...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
We've seen a good example of this experiment with CCP and EVE Online. A few years back, they released versions of their client for Linux and for Mac. A year later, they cancelled the Linux version and kept developing the Mac version.

Why? Because the Mac client brought in new customers, while the Linux version simply resulted in existing Windows customers switching clients; it didn't bring in any new business.

please quit spreading that....

THE LINUX PORT WAS NOTHING MORE THEN a Cligium wrapped windows game it was dropped because a they never updated it and b wine offered superior performance. Please get your facts straight before you post.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

actually they would only need one. Yes there is different versions of linux. But the way the programs run and interact with the os are the same. RPM DEB TAR.GZ are only wrappers. The way the actual application runs the same on say Ubuntu as it does SUSE. Even if there was small quirks like a binary being in a different folder its not to hard to recharge the ln path to reflect the right directory or to setup a package system that actually scans and links the proper files.

This is what it comes down to... NO matter what company what game. Microsoft pays out big $$ to keep developers in windows. To develop for propitiatory Direct X. Nothing More Nothing less.

Ok Show me a non Direct X Game that has all the features of a Direct X Game. Seriously people, Back in the day, Direct X had competition from OpenGL, That is no longer true. Why?? Because OpenGL couldn't keep up with the changes in 3D technology. It's not that Direct X Is proprietary, it's that atm for game it the best there is. Just like WoW is the best there is for MMO's. BTW WINE runs WoW because WINE has Direct X Support where linux doesn't.

left for dead 2 linux port has all the same features of the dx version and runs 33 percent faster under linux.

the only feature that open gl does not support that direct x does.. is multi threaded rendering that no game to date even takes advantage of.. Actually all your dx 11 features u have now and dx 12 features linux had them 3 years prior in open gl.

open gl multi threaded rendering is supported now in open gl 4.3

and yes wine has direct x support because wine is a translation layer between open gl and open al function calls to direct x function calls there's no emulation so anything thats supported by your video card is done in hardware including all the nifty little dx features that you assume are missing.. Theres just alot of overhead.
Edited by Mercymizery on 9/25/2012 1:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
question being why are all thee windows users butt hurt that people might want a linux port it doesn't hurt you any
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
09/25/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Mercymizery
question being why are all thee windows users butt hurt that people might want a linux port it doesn't hurt you any

And, a Linux port wouldn't (or, more accurately, shouldn't) take much time or resources. From Blizzard's standpoint, it'd be a rather low-cost investment.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/25/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Tyani
And, a Linux port wouldn't (or, more accurately, shouldn't) take much time or resources. From Blizzard's standpoint, it'd be a rather low-cost investment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but WoW's a 8 year old game with loads of dated code. It could be a pain to port. If it was a low-cost investment, I'd think Blizzard would have done it by now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Why do we still use Direct3D?

If OpenGL is faster, why is DirectX still the predominant API? It isn’t because of image quality or features: OpenGL 4.0 has all of shaders and tessellators and widgets that DX has. It isn’t because of hardware support: All Nvidia and AMD graphics cards support the latest version of OpenGL along with DirectX.

Really, it all comes down to that crummy old thing we call the network effect — and, of course, monopolistic heft and marketing dollars. DirectX, because it has a cleaner API and better documentation, is easier to learn. More developers using DirectX = more DirectX games = better driver support. This is a vicious loop that again leads to more DX devs, more DX games, and better DX drivers/tools/documentation. Microsoft has relentlessly marketed DirectX, too — and who can forget the release of Windows Vista and Microsoft’s OpenGL smear campaign? Vista’s bundled version of OpenGL was completely crippled, forcing many devs to switch to DirectX.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
We've seen a good example of this experiment with CCP and EVE Online. A few years back, they released versions of their client for Linux and for Mac. A year later, they cancelled the Linux version and kept developing the Mac version.

Why? Because the Mac client brought in new customers, while the Linux version simply resulted in existing Windows customers switching clients; it didn't bring in any new business.

Eve onine's linux client was also based on that terrible cedega game emulator and it rarely worked.

CCP tried to cheat by not makiing a native linux client and it obviously failed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/25/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Tyani

they could derive it from the mac os sence mac os and linux use the same posix pipeline. Not to mention the same open gl open ai structure.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
09/25/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Mercymizery

they could derive it from the mac os sence mac os and linux use the same posix pipeline. Not to mention the same open gl open ai structure.

Which is why I said a Linux port would be low-cost. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Blizz was rich, they wont be soon. Loss of subs along with ending of the annal pass, will be mean blizz has to reduce costs even further to increase their profit margin.
Right. They're down to 9 million subscriptions at $15 per month. That's only $135 million in revenue. I wish I could be that poor.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Eve onine's linux client was also based on that terrible cedega game emulator and it rarely worked.

CCP tried to cheat by not makiing a native linux client and it obviously failed.

tell that to the mvp that likes to spout that in every linux thread lol...

point is it would be nice to have a native client. wine works works well.. The point is alot of linux users are tired of having to settle for wine. yes we can opt to shell out hundreds for windows 7 but why? we have had all the same features you have had for quite a few more years prior.
Edited by Mercymizery on 9/25/2012 1:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/25/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Etherea
why do you even have Linux as a gamer it doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Because Linux is a better OS. I'd rather use a good OS than a !@#$ty one, even if that means I have to jump through a couple small hoops. That being said, as long as wine is up to date, I don't have any issues, so I don't really see the problem.

Define "better." It's a free OS. If it really was better no one would buy computers with Windows installed on them any more. For a while Dell was offering computers pre-loaded with Linux. They don't do that any more because no one bought them. If by better you mean more customizable I agree with you. Customization doesn't mean anything to the average consumer. Most consumers want a system that supports most commercial applications and comes preloaded with MS Office. Linux is not that system. Windows is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]