Blizzards Blind eye to Linux Users.

90 Night Elf Druid
09/25/2012 12:25 PMPosted by Irocain
Linux is not a desktop OS.

Yes it is.

Sure for power users who enjoy spending their free time trouble shooting their desktop as opposed to actually using it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/25/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Ronduwil

Because Linux is a better OS. I'd rather use a good OS than a !@#$ty one, even if that means I have to jump through a couple small hoops. That being said, as long as wine is up to date, I don't have any issues, so I don't really see the problem.

Define "better." It's a free OS. If it really was better no one would buy computers with Windows installed on them any more. For a while Dell was offering computers pre-loaded with Linux. They don't do that any more because no one bought them. If by better you mean more customizable I agree with you. Customization doesn't mean anything to the average consumer. Most consumers want a system that supports most commercial applications and comes preloaded with MS Office. Linux is not that system. Windows is.

open office nuff said.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/25/2012 01:32 PMPosted by Mercymizery
The point is alot of linux users are tired of having to settle for wine.
Unfortunately even though the majority of CS majors in any given University use Linux, very few people outside of that setting do. Until that changes you'll just have to settle for wine.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
If Netflix (come on html5 or flash version!) and WoW ran natively on Linux, I could make it my full time desktop environment.

I installed Ubuntu about 5 months ago and couldn't believe how easy it was to set up and just get going. But man, missing Netflix and gaming wasn't cool, so now I haven't booted into it for a while.

I fully support this request.
Edited by Discoepfeand on 9/25/2012 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
as far as free os do u realize how many millions of dollers companies poor into linux development and hand it out for free.

As far as your windows is concerned. you have been benefiting from bleeding edge linux distros for years. back when ms had 2d no accelerated desktops linux was already pushing full hardware and 3d accelerated desktops

alot of windows improvements were taken directly from linux and unix.

the one thing ms cant seem to nail down is memory management where linux just spanks it into oblivion.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
If Netflix (come on html5 or flash version!) and WoW ran natively on Linux, I could make it my full time desktop environment.

I installed Ubuntu about 5 months ago and couldn't believe how easy it was to set up and just get going. But man, missing Netflix and gaming wasn't cool, so now I haven't booted into it for a while.

I fully support this request.

vmware windows xp np with netflix doesnt even take a ton of hdd space lol :p

i think my mint setup + vmware with windows xp installed is still 1/2 smaller foot print then windows 7
Edited by Mercymizery on 9/25/2012 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/25/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Mercymizery
open office nuff said.
I used open office until I left college. Unfortunately despite its best efforts it's not fully compatible with Excel and Word, which is what 99% of users outside of academia use. I'm sorry to say that, like Linux, it's not an acceptable alternative. If it were it would dominate the market.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/25/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Ronduwil
open office nuff said.
I used open office until I left college. Unfortunately despite its best efforts it's not fully compatible with Excel and Word, which is what 99% of users outside of academia use. I'm sorry to say that, like Linux, it's not an acceptable alternative. If it were it would dominate the market.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Less than 1% of the worlds computers run Linux IIRC.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/25/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Ninjablaze

you realize every major back bone isp web server most wow servers including there auth server run linux.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
as far as free os do u realize how many millions of dollers companies poor into linux development and hand it out for free.

As far as your windows is concerned. you have been benefiting from bleeding edge linux distros for years. back when ms had 2d no accelerated desktops linux was already pushing full hardware and 3d accelerated desktops

the one thing ms cant seem to nail down is memory management where linux just spanks it into oblivion.
The thing is that if derp can't get their Windows to properly install or if it crashes they can rely on Microsoft technical support to talk them off the ledge. If they install the latest patches for their Windows OS you'll know exactly what they're running. You can't say the same of Linux. There are tons of variants, each with their own set of drivers and/or Window Managers. Look at the grief Blizzard already endures in trying to support a limited set of graphics cards for Windows. Now think of trying to do that in Linux where each distribution potentially includes graphics card drivers from different sources.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/25/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Mercymizery

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office

Those are nifty features it doesn't really help when someone sends you a document that will only open Word.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/25/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Mercymizery
It doesn't matter whether or not they have the same features. If the chairperson for your neighbood HOA committee sends you an Excel file and Open Office garbles it because it has its own way of doing things it's still useless. If I do an awesome presentation in Open Office and I mail it to my boss who then opens it in Excel and sees a garbled mess that's all they see.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

The thing is that if derp can't get their Windows to properly install or if it crashes they can rely on Microsoft technical support to talk them off the ledge. If they install the latest patches for their Windows OS you'll know exactly what they're running. You can't say the same of Linux. There are tons of variants, each with their own set of drivers and/or Window Managers. Look at the grief Blizzard already endures in trying to support a limited set of graphics cards for Windows. Now think of trying to do that in Linux where each distribution potentially includes graphics card drivers from different sources.

intel uses the same oss repo for all distro's
Nvidia has there own pritortary repo that works across all distro's

ati open source repo is the same repo across all distros

windows managers are moot point as they do not inter fear with the way the os runs. Its like you skinning your windows 7 task bar. Granted gnome shell or kde or xfice have diffrent ways of handing the desktop some some distros prefer alsa over pulse audio but both are compatible with one another even Ubuntu has support for both out of the box with 0 user intervention .

as far as system updates one update does all. LInux will update every device driver you have connected to the system when its updated along with all the app updates it has repo access to.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/25/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Mercymizery

you realize every major back bone isp web server most wow servers including there auth server run linux.
Too bad these ISPs aren't clamoring to run WoW clients.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
You're obviously CHOOSING to use Linex. They shouldn't cater to you.

There are two major forces in the OS market; Windows, and Mac Os. Linex is 100% optional.

What linex os are you using? Ubuntu? Centos? Fedora?

Should they make clients for every linex varient?

linux mint. Works fine with any linux software i throw at it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Too bad these ISPs aren't clamoring to run WoW clients.

u all still have yet to answer why do u care if linux users request a native client it still does not hurt you any. Just find it funny that ms users get so protective like omg its a game no one else but windows users should be able to play it...
Edited by Mercymizery on 9/25/2012 2:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It's a cost issue, plain and simple. Let's stop making this some silly Linux versus X (Atari versus Commodore) argument.
It costs a lot of money to develop for an then maintain another client pipeline. Linux may be great, but the fact is that there is no return on investment for Blizzard. They make money on Mac OS X and Windows users, but they would not recoup money on a linux release and maintenance. They are a business and their shareholders would really prefer they continue to make money.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
It's a cost issue, plain and simple. Let's stop making this some silly Linux versus X (Atari versus Commodore) argument.
It costs a lot of money to develop for an then maintain another client pipeline. Linux may be great, but the fact is that there is no return on investment for Blizzard. They make money on Mac OS X and Windows users, but they would not recoup money on a linux release and maintenance. They are a business and their shareholders would really prefer they continue to make money.

hate to tell you its been proven that linux uers generally will spend more money on games for linux then windows or mac users.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]