Eclipse most disliked mechanic

90 Worgen Druid
Just doing a informal poll but I suspect that eclipse is literally the most disliked class mechanic in the game.

In terms of value added it does nothing for us. Seems like a clunky poorly thought out mechanic that was added just because someone at blizzard said, "add one".

It is the only mechanic in the game that limits a classes choice of spell usage. So it really feels like it takes away from the freedom to act. PVP especially.

I just came back to Balance recently having gone away from it in classic when the chicken came. I refused to play a chicken.
Edited by Gealai on 9/24/2012 1:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
In terms of value added it does nothing for us. Seems like a clunky poorly thought out mechanic that was added just because someone at blizzard said add one.
it adds an aspect of skill and timing into our rotation. Think of how boring it would be without it.

09/24/2012 01:16 AMPosted by Gealai
It is the only mechanic in the game that limits a classes choice of spell usage. So it really feels like it takes away from the freedom to act. PVP especially.
....You have to be joking, right? Right? Nobody can actually be stupid enough to believe that all other classes work any better not using their rotation than we do not using eclipse? Every rotation has you either switch between a priority system of spells, depending on mana usage or short cds between them, or it has you building up resources with one spell to cast a more powerful spell.
Edited by Tagartou on 9/24/2012 5:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I like it.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
Savage Roar

Eclipse is fine.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
They've dulled the pain somewhat with things like SotF, but yes I agree and will continue to agree for the rest of the life of this game.
Reply Quote
It's not a good mechanic, nor does it require skill; but it is better than feral.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Savage Roar -

Searing Totem stacks for Enh -

Shocks shearing CD for ele -

Fury relying on Enrages (Can be dispeled) -

These are all from a PvP perspective though. Between Astral Communion and Astral Alignment as well as our set bonus for PvP gear.. eh.

It doesn't bother me that much. I've grown to like it =)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I've been leveling another druid as balance, well two actually because my GF is too busy to level hers (lvl 23) and I've got one from a scroll I insta-leveled to 80. Eclipse seems like a pointless gimmick to me, but isn't really difficult to deal with at all after playing feral from vanilla through now. :p I don't really pvp though, and haven't done any pvp as balance.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I actually really like Savage Roar. The original one in Wrath was the best.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Yeah, those huge AP numbers were awesome. :P
Reply Quote
30 Worgen Druid
Active mitigation is equally as clunky. Killing machine almost always gets spent on frost strike. There's a few mechanics the game could do without or could at least use some tweaking lol.
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Druid
Resto druids being the only ones with active mastery is pretty horrible as well.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I hate eclipse. I hated eclipse. I will hate eclipse. Put whatever tense you want on it, I hate eclipse.

I was boomkin from vanilla to 5.0, I finally left ... and eclipse is a huge part of why. It's just not fun.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Savage Roar

Eclipse is fine.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

....You have to be joking, right? Right? Nobody can actually be stupid enough to believe that all other classes work any better not using their rotation than we do not using eclipse? Every rotation has you either switch between a priority system of spells, depending on mana usage or short cds between them, or it has you building up resources with one spell to cast a more powerful spell.

Sadly, you actually see this "argument" quite a lot. I use argument in the loosest sense of the word, because it's absolute nonsense and just shows that the person claiming it understands very little about how DPS in general works.

In the first place, the eclipse bar in no way limits your spell usage, with the possible (and negligible) exception of the hurricane/astral storm morph. Other than those two spells, you can cast any spell in our arsenal at any time you like.

Secondly, exactly what Tag said in the quote. Every DPS class has an optimal rotation or priority system. You *can* at any given time cast whatever you want to, but in order to get the most DPS, you follow the priority. The eclipse bar simply is a visual, on-screen indicator of our priority. Simple as that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I didn't play druid in Wrath (or Cata for that matter), but I'm pretty sure it's -way- better than it used to be.

I also don't really find it to be clunky. Hell, it's less clunky than some mechanics (old Shadow Orbs, for instance).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Savage Roar

Eclipse is fine.

So much this, and the current eclipse is far better then the wrath version. I actually like the variability that eclipse adds to what otherwise would be a boring rotation.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Shaman
I am levelling a balance druid and i really enjoy the balance mechanics just didn't play before because i hated chicken form.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Personal opinion here, but I can't stand the Paladin Holy power system. It's not broken or anything, I just think it's asthetically unpleasent and quite literally killed my love for the class.

That being said, I'm sure non-resto shamans have some rough mechanics. Better a little bit now with the totem changes, but still rough.

Eclipse is too face-roll to be a bad mechanic, that's why I play feral > : ]
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
...You have to be joking, right? Right? Nobody can actually be stupid enough to believe that all other classes work any better not using their rotation than we do not using eclipse?

Speak for yourself laddy. I spam Icelance as a Fire mage and top charts!

*insert sarcastic cat face here*
Edited by Perseis on 9/24/2012 4:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]