Draenei RP name question

90 Worgen Mage
Hello Fellow Wyrmrest Accordites,

I have a name I'd like to give to a draenei shaman I am planning on rolling in the near future. I've only recently gotten involved in RP in-game (and have come to this wonderful server from a strictly PVE server), but have always had a backstory with my characters regardless of the server I played on. I try to stick to the lore as much as possible, though I am somewhat of a lore newbie.

I used to have a draenei hunter named Kailypso who was my main. That character has moved on and race changed, but the original character idea is still bouncing around in my head. I would like to 'resurrect' her, so to speak, but am unsure if this name would be fitting for a draenei. From reading various fansites and forum posts, most draenei names are based off of names from India and the middle east. I know Calypso is of Greek origin, but am not sure if it is acceptable for a draenei. Please enlighten me.

Thank you.
Edited by Saryss on 9/21/2012 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hello Fellow Wyrmrest Accordites,

I have a name I'd like to give to a draenei shaman I am planning on rolling in the near future. I've only recently gotten involved in RP in-game (and have come to this wonderful server from a strictly PVE server), but have always had a backstory with my characters regardless of the server I played on. I try to stick to the lore as much as possible, though I am somewhat of a lore newbie.

I used to have a draenei hunter named Kailypso who was my main. That character has moved on and race changed, but the original character idea is still bouncing around in my head. I would like to 'resurrect' her, so to speak, but am unsure if this name would be fitting for a draenei. From reading various fansites and forum posts, most draenei names are based off of names from India and the middle east. I know Calypso is of Greek origin, but am not sure if it is acceptable for a draenei. Please enlighten me.

Thank you.

Personally, my take on those kinds of things is go for it: as while it's something that we, players, would know of/about/recognize, it's not something any characters in-game would think abnormal, and the idea behind the name itself is shaman-inspiring.

(Besides, I've run out of fingers and toes to count how many Artemis' female night elf hunters I've seen)
Reply Quote
Well the Greeks did get into the middle east a few times.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I *usually* lean towards names with repeating vowels for my draenei, or a lot of harsh consonants. The name I ended up on with my paladin, this time, was me at about 4 AM just desperate to get into game and start smashing things. >_>

You could try the good ol' mashing of the random name button and see if there are any patterns you ended taking a liking to.

I don't think Greek origin is outright bad... Or, really, that the origin particularly matters. Just if the sounds, in general, feel right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A lot of people use cultural names from history or just regions around the world, so you're probably in the clear for that.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Priest
If you like it, do it. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Don't worry about a name like that. It fits, and no one will care. Just don't give her a last name--that's all that matters!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Well, Draenei shaman do have a bit of a tendency to take last names. That seems to be the main exception, though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
That's just like a title, though. Stormcaller Baenura/Baenura the Stormcaller, Desadra Stormglory, Ophra Windfury, etc. I wouldn't say those are actual surnames :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I suppose I count it as such, since every example I can think of slots in as a surname would. But that's a semantics difference and I think we're both on the same page here!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Ayup. And what a pretty page it is. It's got crayons!
Reply Quote
They're titles, not names.

There's many Draenei who end up with some odd title, and it can be before or after their name.
Edited by Erinai on 9/22/2012 5:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I believe I will go forth and create my shaman!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
My Draenei, Ysrein, approves of several consonants together.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]