Theramore scenario

100 Blood Elf Hunter
TNT
Where was the story? I ran it today with guildies and fairly disappointed in the lack of any lore. You do A, then B, and then C and there's a video at the end. I guess we're suppose to go out and buy the book and read the hows and the whys rather than play through it.

Didn't care for it in Cataclysm with the death of Cairne and I don't care for it now.

My two cents.
Edited by Ashlynara on 9/23/2012 10:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree that the story was really lacking. When I first heard about scenarios I pictured them as more story driven adventures. While the game couldn't go into the detail that a book can it is really disheartening to see that something designed for MoP has less story than dungeons in WotLK and Cata.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
The scenario has been pretty universally derided in terms of the lack of context, especially for the Alliance side but also for the Horde side. (The gameplay of it hasn't been reviewed all that well either.) The devs have seen and acknowledged this feedback.

My surprise is that they didn't see this coming and decided to let it through as it stands now. I read ToW so I knew what was happening, and I could see straight off how completely disjointed and simply out-of-nowhere it was for anyone who did not read the book. The end result is an appallingly lackluster extended quest devoid of emotional significance when it should be all about getting people fired up.

By all accounts, the scenarios in MoP proper are pretty compelling and enjoyable according to reports from the beta, so I cannot fathom how they managed to screw the pooch here. They may say that this was not meant to be a world event level of expansion kick-off, and I can accept that, but really, this wouldn't have qualified for a screenwriting student's kick-off for finishing Scripts 101: Proper Use of "Exeunt".
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
The scenario has been pretty universally derided in terms of the lack of context, especially for the Alliance side but also for the Horde side. (The gameplay of it hasn't been reviewed all that well either.) The devs have seen and acknowledged this feedback.

My surprise is that they didn't see this coming and decided to let it through as it stands now. I read ToW so I knew what was happening, and I could see straight off how completely disjointed and simply out-of-nowhere it was for anyone who did not read the book. The end result is an appallingly lackluster extended quest devoid of emotional significance when it should be all about getting people fired up.

By all accounts, the scenarios in MoP proper are pretty compelling and enjoyable according to reports from the beta, so I cannot fathom how they managed to screw the pooch here. They may say that this was not meant to be a world event level of expansion kick-off, and I can accept that, but really, this wouldn't have qualified for a screenwriting student's kick-off for finishing Scripts 101: Proper Use of "Exeunt".

You're seeing the events of ToW through the eyes of soldiers, not as a major part. people expected to see this as though their character was part of the book itself
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
TNT
While I enjoyed "The Shattering" and will purchase an read "Tides of War" at some point. I want to live events and not just read in a book. I am a lore junkie who indeed thought this was to be the jumping off point for MoP. Perhaps I misunderstood. But if it is it is lackluster a best.

I was fighting right alongside Cairne during the Elemental invasion the last night because I knew it would be the last time I would see him. He was my favorite Horde leader and he has been done a great disservice in the handling in game of his demise.

Now, Pinhead Hellscream has decided we needed to go after Theramore seat of Jaina Proudmoore. A Alliance leader I definitely respect. She's now being done a disservice if this all we see of the destruction of her city.

Books are fine, I love to read, but lore belongs in game for us to play, not something we're required to purchase outside of the game if we want to know. These events are major, i e Cairne's death, Jaina's city destroyed, not some little minor side stories.

You dropped the ball here Blizzard in my estimation.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
I think the most blatant oversight was a lack of any bread crumb quests, not even an in game mention of this event.

If someone did not read forums or check internet sites, this whole thing would have come out of nowhere. This is one of the few times where I doubt the fantastic abilities of Blizzard and wonder how the hell this sort of thing happens. I'd hate to turn into one of the jaded cynics writing off lore as nothing more than fluff.
Edited by Elrith on 9/24/2012 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
TNT
Really good to know others feel as I do. Lore junkies united no matter red or blue.
Edited by Ashlynara on 9/24/2012 10:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight

You're seeing the events of ToW through the eyes of soldiers, not as a major part. people expected to see this as though their character was part of the book itself

Given that this was explicitly stated to be the case by an interview with Golden, and that unnamed, undescribed characters were hanging around on each side within the book as the way that we would be involved in the plot....

This is basically what a bait and switch is.

And even if it was meant to be viewed through a normal footsoldier's POV, it's still easy to put it within context. This was a clear failure on Blizzard's part, and they acknowledge it. They should have just known it beforehand and not let it through that way to begin with.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
TNT
As I have begun to read Tides of War I am even more frustrated. I understand that every facet of WoW lore cannot be included into the game, I still feel terribly let down. This is their game, their lore, but who is meant to enjoy it if not us, the players?

The authors who have taken up the task of continuing adventures of characters we admire or love are now the ones who are responsible for providing us with major plot lines that belong in game, for a fee of course.

Shame on you Blizzard. Is this all about making money? I as a player and a fan of your lore deserve better than this. If I wish to read further about events in Azeroth that should be my option, not my requirement. I am speaking here of major events, the death of Cairne Bloodhoof in "The Shattering" the fate of Theramore in "Tides of War". I felt nothing but confused participating in the Theramore scenario, like I was dropped into the middle of a movie I knew very little about and was suppose to act out a part without a script.

I admire Christie Golden's work, but some of what she's written doesn't belong just on pages of a book, but in the game we pay to enjoy.

I am a lore junkie, and do not presume to speak for everyone. This is just my feelings on this subject.
Edited by Ashlynara on 9/30/2012 4:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
You're preaching to the very small choir that's poked into this thread at least, Ashlynara. I just have hope that the MoP scenarios actually do a good job of introducting interesting gameplay and (as if not more importantly) lore to the game, and that Theramore is a terrible aberration in quality.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
This isn't an issue Blizzard is ignoring. This is a pretty universal critique of the scenario, and within days Blizzard acknowledged they messed up and are going to endeavor to learn from this oversight.

There are several places Blizzard addressed this on internet interviews.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]