Slow fresh MoP install using game dvds

90 Night Elf Priest
I purchased the DVDs for Mists of Pandaria. Inside the box is Game DVD 1 and Game DVD 2. I want to do a fresh install of WOW on a fresh install of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2

The instructions in the Quick Start Guide say that DVD 1 and 2 contain data for all World of Warcraft content (Vanilla, Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria) even on a computer with no previous WOW installed. Which is what I want.

However, when I insert DVD 1 and click World of Warcraft Setup, I get to the Blizzard Launcher and it says Installing... at the bottom left and is taking a long time to install. It has been on 0.1% for a long time and now it is on 0.2%

I tried to install without internet connection but the installer requires a battle.net connection

I am perplexed as to what exactly is downloading and what size it is as I have limited internet data usage and don't want to waste it on unnecessary files that may already be on the DVDs.

In the Blizzard Launcher program the Info > Connection Information option is greyed out.

I need to know:

Why is the install so slow?
What does the DVD install need to download?
Shouldn't the DVD install first, then update necessary files after ?

A fresh install guide for Mists of Pandaria using DVDs on OS X Mountain Lion from a Blizzard employee would be great.

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 3 Gb Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB (mid 2007 model)
OS X 10.8.2 428 GB free
Edited by Kyrosh on 9/25/2012 5:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Ok an update since the last post.

The install got to 0.3% and asked to insert DVD disc 2.

I feel confident it is working as intended so far. Just maybe my internet was slow and the limited information was given during the install.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Let us know what happens, and if your install went fine.
Reply Quote
Having the same problem with my PC. I think maybe it's your servers that are bogged down right now? If it does require a battle.net connection.
Reply Quote
7 Draenei Paladin
What I find odd is that I had a similar problem as the OP did except I wasn't starting from scratch. It even sent me to the page to purchase a digital copy. After I left that it just refused to install. So I figured that I would go to WoW and check it out and apparently it was already downloaded.

Hopefully your fresh install worked out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm having the same exact problem as the OP. I'm on a Windows 7 machine however this thread was the first Google hit for this specific problem so I'm posting here.

I'm installing WoW fresh from the DVDs I got from buying the CE edition. It's been about 20-30 minutes and it's only 0.1% complete so far. I pulled my network cable to see what would happen and the installer complained it couldn't download the files it needed from the Internet.

Previously when I've installed from disc nothing was downloaded, it just installed the version of the client that it had. Only after that would the launcher patch itself to the current version.

Like the OP, I also have somewhat limited Internet at my location so this is very frustrating. I assumed I would be installing the entire 5.0 client from disc then patching it from the Internet to 5.0.5 or whatever the current version is.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Having the exact same problem with the exact same scenario as the OP.

- Fresh install from CE of everything on Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).
- Currently sitting at 0.4% after half an hour.

@Kyrosh Any update as to what happened after you swapped to Disc 2?

Mac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB (Early 2009 model)
OS X 10.8.2 636 GB free
Edited by Tandaemonium on 9/25/2012 3:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'm checking this out by trying and install myself. I'll update later and see what I find.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I started this and it was going fine. During this time, it is reading/writing data to the HDD. Can y'all post full system specs?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)

Also, you may want to Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk to make sure this isn't an issue with a HDD. You might want to do a Apple Hardware Test to make sure no hardware is failing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
I ran into that issue as well. Not sure if it was because I haven't played in months since mid-cataclysm, but about one hour into the install it seemed to start cranking out installation as a usual install would. 1 hour -> .4% , next five minutes -> 20%

I am on windows, but I am assuming it is the same issue

Hope this helps
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
seems like mine has been on 2.1 for about half an hour,any way to speed it up?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My install eventually (after a couple of hours) got to the part where it indicated it was downloading the rest of the files it needed, about 1.4 GB. Is there a mirror where I can direct download the files I need? The location I'm at has very slow limited Internet plus does not like the torrent-like Downloader.
Reply Quote
Agreed.. why did bother buying the install dvd's, when it still takes me to a freakin download of 13 gigs?? That was the whole point of buying the box set. :l It starts off fine.. Launch Application > Updating files > gets to 10/39 > then Bam.. downloading... really? Why can't it download off the damn dvd's? >:
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Must say blizz you really have done it this time same is happening to me and i just upgraded to Lion on my macbook specially to play MoP well I'm gonna leave my Laptop to install overnite and if nothing changes I'm switching to GW2 and I'm unashamed to say that. Mac support for wow now is horrendous. I wonder why put it on a platform you're not even going to properly support anyway just be all pc and leave it at that and don't get our hopes up.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
My install ended up fine.

What happened is during installing during DVD 1 it took a long time (maybe 30 - 50 mins). The data rate downloading was only 2 Kb/s. At 0.3 % installed it asked to insert DVD 2 (30 -50 mins). The install still took a long time with data at 2 Kb/s. Suddenly around 0.6 % the install download shot up to 500 kb/s. Then the WOW launcher started and I could see it needed around 1.4 Gb to be up do date. The game was playable with around 1.2 Gb left to download.

Interesting that the first part of install crawled with 2 Kb/s. Then it went up to 500 kb/s. Maybe the first part was slow due to many people installing that night and the servers were overloaded ?

I am writing this from memory so exact numbers my be slightly off but it is generally right.

So steps to install from DVD a fresh Mists of Pandaria on OS X Lion 10.8.2 ) are :

1. You only need the two DVDs from the World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Box to install every version of WOW
2. Insert Game DVD 1 and click "World of Warcraft Setup"
3. Wait for ages during the World of Warcraft Installer. At 0.3% installed it will ask to insert DVD 2
5. Wait again for ages till around 0.6% installed, the install download speed will then jump. The Wow launcher starts up with 1.4 Gb to install. With 1.3 Gb left to install the game is playable.

The whole thing took around 2 hours (apart from the last 1.4 Gb during the launcher part which took longer).

The DVDs don't download what is already on the DVDs. I guess it just updates certain files but gets in a slow internet bottle neck at the start.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I could see the data download rates using Activity Monitor and looking at the Network section.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
My install eventually (after a couple of hours) got to the part where it indicated it was downloading the rest of the files it needed, about 1.4 GB. Is there a mirror where I can direct download the files I need? The location I'm at has very slow limited Internet plus does not like the torrent-like Downloader.

I unfortunately haven't figured out a way of way of mirroring it as I haven't figured out exactly which files to mirror.

I can take a second look at it if you can upload a list of the files you have in the Data folder and what their file sizes are.

You can turn Peer to Peer off in agent.db this way :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413083809#9

As well as turning on the Don't Throttle Background Download in the Downloader preferences

Agreed.. why did bother buying the install dvd's, when it still takes me to a freakin download of 13 gigs?? That was the whole point of buying the box set. :l It starts off fine.. Launch Application > Updating files > gets to 10/39 > then Bam.. downloading... really? Why can't it download off the damn dvd's? >:

Are you sue it's 13 GB and not 1.3 GB ?

By necessity they had to only put 5.0.0 on the DVDs otherwise they would not of been able to press the DVDs on time to get them to the stores for release.

The retail box had two DVDs that combined had 17 GB of information. A fully updated Data folder for Live is 20 GB. Leaving you to download the rest.

If it's 13 GB it's downloading then that's a separate issue. I did a clean install and only had 1.3 GB to download.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
09/30/2012 02:27 AMPosted by Kyrosh
The DVDs don't download what is already on the DVDs. I guess it just updates certain files but gets in a slow internet bottle neck at the start.

I really do need to sit down and properly analyse what it's downloading , when and where from.

I do believe that before it displays the downloading message in the Installer that it's just running checksum tests against the server for the files it copies off the DVD

There's various tools I can use beyond Activity Monitor to confirm these things. Might be time to update my copy of Xcode again.
Reply Quote
8 Tauren Shaman
seriously... wheres the support on this? this is not a good user experience. i am a wow veteran, and i just got the new expansion thinking this would be a breeze...

this has not been a good experience. bad blizzard. bad...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Seeing the same behavior here. Trying to install from the DVD and it's sitting at 0.0% after 15 min of it chewing on the DVD. Very little network traffic is passing but the disk I/O on the DVD is constant (mostly reading). CPU is pegged at 100% too for the "Agent" process. The installer has written a World of Warcraft.temp folder which has about 2.22 GB of data in it at this time. I have no idea what the installer doing. Maybe checksumming the data on the DVD? It is ridiculously slow for something that should be doing a quick local install.

I'm on 10.6.8 (2010 mac mini) doing a fresh install.

Edit/Update: Well over two hours later and it's at "0.3%" but there is 19+ GB in the temp folder. It did prompt me to put in disc 2 at "0.2%" when there was around 11 GB in the temp folder. I guess the latest patch is 99.7% of the game :p

So, just the DVD install components took almost three hours with no real status updates other than me watching the size of the temp folder. I'd bet the downloadable updates will take another hour but I'm assuming the game will be playable soon.

Ok it just went to downloading 1.38GB, there's now a real World of Warcraft folder (not temp) with 20.15 GB in it.

I'd suggest blizzard fix the percentage report or at least give some sort of feedback as to what the installer is doing when reading/checksumming the DVD and installing onto the drive.
Edited by Silvr on 10/1/2012 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]