pls stop matching my lvl 7 pet with lvl 12's?

90 Human Death Knight
what's the point of even queuing if all my pets get 1 shot by a level 12 that somehow got matched up with my level 7 pets? am i missing something here
Reply Quote
I hate that too! In my opinion, when you're being matched with somebody, neither player should be matched against a pet that has a higher level than any of the ones they are battling with.

I really find it frustrating when I have 3 level 8 that I'm going against 1 lvl 7, 1 lvl 8 and 1 lvl 10. There's no way mine can live that long, unless I get really lucky on the types.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
I dont like it either. i guess it was a compromise between fast queue times and possible mismatches. but there is a couple of options they could take to remidty this problem

Pets should only be able to queue so long as one of the pets is is no-more than one level apart
All pets have to be the same level
Longer queue times (level placement becomes 1-3 instead of 1-5)
Smarter matching system

so... what restrictions are you willing to see in-order to not get mismatches? ide rather option 2
Edited by Zerran on 9/26/2012 4:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
Yea I just keep a level 1 in my party so I can faceroll people 5 lvls lower than me.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
It blows me away that this matching system was written by a college graduate. This kind of stuff seems like something people would obviously do. Did they just not think of it, or just figure they were too busy and could use "well it's just for fun afterall" as an excuse effectively?

EDIT: It's rather simple to match a 10,10,1 team with a comparable team. The matching is based on averages, that's the only problem. If they don't want to change the match maker code then they could just disallow teams that are obviously artificially lowering their average.
Edited by Gulvak on 9/26/2012 7:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For simplicity's sake, I'd make it an average of the tamer's top 2 pets' levels.

Ex:

Lineup of 20, 18 and 2. The 2 gets dropped and the average is 19.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
How about throwing standard deviation into the mix? Anyone take statistics?

This is a very annoying problem.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Yeah I'm getting this every single time. I had to abandon my balanced team just to stand a chance. Thus adding to the problem.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Mage
For simplicity's sake, I'd make it an average of the tamer's top 2 pets' levels.

Ex:

Lineup of 20, 18 and 2. The 2 gets dropped and the average is 19.

Even better: Just match off the highest-level pet in the team. The current system seems to work off the assumption that all 3 pets are of a similar level and averages them. Basing it solely off the highest-level pet means the people trying to cheese it are going to get steamrolled.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I mean there might be an argument that this is a meaningful way to boost your low level pets, but there's no reason you should be able to cherry pick pet teams which are going to be much weaker.

How about throwing standard deviation into the mix? Anyone take statistics?

This is a very annoying problem.

You wouldn't even need to get that involved, just disregard the lowest level, or match based on the levels of each individual pet (ie 12,7,7 gets matched with another team like that) I think the real problem is that the match maker literally sees no difference between 25+1+1=27 and 9+9+9=27. It interprets both as equal. Maybe there is some logic for such obviously lopsided matches, but if there is that logic needs to be more stringent.
Edited by Gulvak on 9/27/2012 6:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Even better: Just match off the highest-level pet in the team. The current system seems to work off the assumption that all 3 pets are of a similar level and averages them. Basing it solely off the highest-level pet means the people trying to cheese it are going to get steamrolled.

Wouldn't work if you got 25+1+1 and matched against someone with 25+25+25

If your only level 25 pet dies, you auto loses because level 1 pets aren't going to last against the opponent's 25's
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

If your only level 25 pet dies, you auto loses because level 1 pets aren't going to last against the opponent's 25's

Well ok I guess? I mean that guy running 25,1,1 probably isn't looking for another 25,1,1 team in the first place. I can't believe there is some kind of reasonable desire for those sorts of matches.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

That's the point. To discourage this behavior
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter

And that, precisely, is why the proposal would work. If you knew going in with a 25+1+1 combination that you'd potentially face a 25+25+25 opponent, you wouldn't queue with that combination. As it stands, people know that queuing with 25+1+1 will get them an opponent likely to be 9+9+9, which is just a faceroll.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Mage

You might want to read the last line of what I wrote:

09/27/2012 01:29 AMPosted by Zapwidget
Basing it solely off the highest-level pet means the people trying to cheese it are going to get steamrolled.

What reason, other than cheesing the system, does a player have for using a level 1 pet in higher-level player duel?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]