Shadow Priest AOE?

90 Undead Priest
Been running a bunch of Heroics at level 90 and feel impressed with the general DPS that Shadow Priests can pull on the majority of Boss Fights compared to how simcraft had us rated. We are actually in pretty good shape in my opinion. :) Where I'm having problems is AOE, whenever a boss summons adds of 10+ I instantly fall really far behind on damage and basically ignore 10+ groups of mobs and just continue multi dotting 2-3 mobs for the same average DPS. What are your all's experiences so far with AOE? Which level 90 talent are you using in conjunction with Mind Sear? Any help to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Our damage scales at level 90, oh wait ....

On AoE fights I always drop behind other classes no matter how I play, but usually I multi dot if there are 2-3 mobs, above 3 I just SW:Pain if I know that mobs will last longer than 10 secs and then Mind sear plus casting any instant MB and MS procs.
Edited by Blackalien on 9/27/2012 5:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Is the dps good at lv 90?
Im at 87 and pretty despondent cause im doing the right rotation and DK's, warriors, are doing like almost the double dps. Or they are just op atm?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I have yet to find anybody that out dps'd me in the dungeons I've run. Maybe I've just run into baddies or maybe we're just that good now, OR MAYBE I'M THAT GOOD! *wink*

But yeah, Mind Sear seems to be kind of mehhhh, I usually just tab dot a few of the adds and Sear off the tank...it's not great, but it's what we have to work with.
Edited by Dimeetri on 9/27/2012 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
We're fine single target and amazing on 2-3 target fights. We're absolute trash on aoe- to the point where I don't even feel Mind Sear is worth it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I have yet to find anybody that out dps'd me in the dungeons I've run. Maybe I've just run into baddies or maybe we're just that good now, OR MAYBE I'M THAT GOOD! *wink*

But yeah, Mind Sear seems to be kind of mehhhh, I usually just tab dot a few of the adds and Sear off the tank...it's not great, but it's what we have to work with.

Keep leveling and you'll see that dps of yours go down, fairly hard.

Right now I'm not worried about the numbers because at 90, no one has optimal stats like they did at 85 during Cata.
That 22%+ crit chance you had....gone, you'd be lucky if its at 7% at 90.
That 30% haste you had...gone, I hover at 14-15% now I think some priests have 20% but that's through neglecting or sacrificing hit.
Edited by Alocin on 9/27/2012 9:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
What I've found is that Mind Sear is flat out useless at 90. The dps is just atrocious...it's embarrassing to get spanked by the tank on any pull with more than 5 mobs. In fact I'm pretty sure it's better dps to just multi-dot, even on those 5+ pulls.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
09/27/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Fancypants
What I've found is that Mind Sear is flat out useless at 90. The dps is just atrocious...it's embarrassing to get spanked by the tank on any pull with more than 5 mobs. In fact I'm pretty sure it's better dps to just multi-dot, even on those 5+ pulls.

It definitely is better to multi-dot while single-targetting one mob and sniping SW:D's, even on 5+.

The fact that it is better even in large groups speaks volumes for how utterly bad Mind Sear is. I like my AoE hitting for 3.8k. :|
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
The fact that nobody's mentioned Halo yet makes my head spin.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
09/28/2012 04:14 AMPosted by Theyas
The fact that nobody's mentioned Halo yet makes my head spin.

This is true, Halo alone will give that initial burst in damage priests may be looking for.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Even with halo -

Mind Sear on large packs is blech. If I get off a halo and am at the right distance I have an immediate spike (to quite high) then drop quite quickly. If Halo is not up I am lumped with sear which at the moment is pretty crap.

Single target - if I have DP + Fiend and halo - then I end up doing very well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'd like to add my disappointment about the current state of MS... I understand it would be super boring as an aoe rotation, but I'd rather them add in something like the empowered shadows buff we juggled in Cata than that they just make it totally useless.
Reply Quote
Shadow has the worst AoE in the game, as far as I can tell. It's really horrible.

Halo + Mind Sear can't compare with tools like Bladestorm. I did a run through all of the heroics last night and I was seeing pulls where Mind Sear + Halo did roughly the same amount as if I would just pick three targets and keep them DoT'd.

Our Prot Warrior was pulling ~130k on these same pulls, and our Arms Warrior was pulling ~70k. Meanwhile, I'm down around ~40k.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
In iLvl 450 gear SP dps is poor at best. Tank dps (warrior or DK) is crazy high - at least double SP. This makes no sense.

I'm not hit-capped, but neither are the others. Need enchants and gems etc, but that will not make the difference, assuming linear scaling across classes.

Also not clear what was so broken that mind sear needed such a massive nerf. It's almost useless now.

Our rotation is a yawn-fest. Nothing really to manage, low numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I'm at 458, I don't bother to even dps when there are trash. Halo has such long cooldowns it's not even comparable to other dpsers. I've been running heroics with my other guildies and here are how it looks like when there are 10+ adds...

1. Blood DK: 120k dps average (yeah vengeance is broken)
2. Hunter: 70-80k dps
3. Elem shaman: 60-75k dps
4. Spriest (me): 40-50k (yes, multidotting + halo + mindsear)
5. Reston Druid (yes, a healer): 40k dps

I really do not understand GC's comment that spamming mindsear is not fun... what about bladestorm? What about spamming multishot? What about spamming chain lightning? So those are more fun? And because of that twisted logic, I have to dot tab x 10 and then mindsear? I only now look forward to raids... even as I farm heroics for gears, I absolutely abhor our wet-noodle-sear.

p.s. Ohh btw, by the time we dot tab x 6, most mobs would have been dead, rendering my dots useless...
Edited by Xenophics on 9/28/2012 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Just signing my name to the long list of names that are disappointed with SP AoE dmg
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Halo seems to be more of a filler spell you hit every what 40 or 45 seconds (i forget the cd).
While mages and warriors have a longer cd on their abilites they actually get to sustain their damage when those abilites are up for most rhe duration the mons are up. A shadow priests gets to hit every mob once and thats it.

Anyone tried Cascade or Divine Star?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Halo seems to be more of a filler spell you hit every what 40 or 45 seconds (i forget the cd).
While mages and warriors have a longer cd on their abilites they actually get to sustain their damage when those abilites are up for most rhe duration the mons are up. A shadow priests gets to hit every mob once and thats it.

Anyone tried Cascade or Divine Star?

cascade is good burst when it hits all of its targets, but sometimes it only hits one, i dont know if its designed bad or glitched but its very picky on if it decides to hit all the targets its supposed to .
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/28/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Stoligold
In iLvl 450 gear SP dps is poor at best. Tank dps (warrior or DK) is crazy high - at least double SP.

i would heartily disagree. in 450 gear there were no warriors i knew outside of lol 2 minute boss fight using burst cooldowns even reaching into the 70-75k range, and for them to double me on single target they'd have to do about 80k.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]