Warlocks not OP..

85 Human Rogue
Why do people say this, majority of the dungeons I go to warlocks dont even top the list. From what Ive been seeing, it's been
1) Fire Mage
2) Shadow Priest (pretty shocked, guess they know how to play their class)
3) Monks
Yes, there have been alot of Warlocks walking around, but does it really make them. Op....no.Maybe they're talking about PVP, if so then I dont know
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Is it possible that you have not met any very good warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
What Bevey said.
Reply Quote
4 Blood Elf Warlock
I'd argue that things die so fast that Warlock's DoT's dont tick enough. Leveling my other Warlock, trash didn't last but a few seconds. Bosses were only up for 20 seconds.

Switch to AoE and Warlock's aren't bad at all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Warlocks are pretty damn hard to kill as a caster, ive been owned by many and tend to stay clear of them these days haha
Reply Quote
91 Worgen Death Knight
tell that to the lock who'd chaos bolt crit me for 60-75% of my health
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
1up
09/29/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Divinèblade

You should be slightly embarrassed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Alot of people re-rolled lock because of the changes we went through.

Affliction is fairly straight forward on how to play, however its easy to slack with and do sub-optimal dps.

Demo, imho, is just as tricky now, as it was in Cata. Now I say tricky, not hard, for me at least.

Affliction on aoe pulls in 5 mans, does alright, but I still find it lacking. Demo is honestly borderline broken in aoe IF I go into it with a full DF bar. Ive easily pulled 300k+ aoe without blowing my trinket or service.

Ive been going into 5mans as demo as of late, and if I can manage my DF bar accordingly, theres nothing that will beat me, overall, trash, or bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
It all depends on how the group is and what spec the lock runs. Aff will struggle in dungeons period. Its aoe is the most ineffective in the game and doesn't even peak that high. Its still a dot class despite the speed up of SB:SS. Demo has aoe but also tends to self damage quite a lot which many healers don't like to have to deal with when massively undergeared. Destro however can use the class self healing for actual healing (not for mana) and can creatively use shadowburn. IE you get several mobs at low HP you can chain shadowburn them...bonus points for putting havoc on the high HP add and shadowburning x3 on low HP adds. Half its aoe is instant while the other half is literally spellcleave so while its not as nice as mindsear its still effective.

Destro may not have peak numbers but its mechanics work well in dungeons. EDIT: just to clarify...a lock has to spam a 100K instant execute to keep pace with what others do without the tricky use of game mechanics.
Edited by Werst on 9/30/2012 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
64k dps on Galleon

lemme know if you see someone doing more then that
Edited by Djdave on 9/30/2012 11:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Actually not a hard number to break on 5 mans. Hopefully things would be better in 25's or even a fully rounded out 10m but raids are more situational awareness checks than patchy numbers based on beta LFR/10m testing experience but that was mostly 483 pvp gear not 463 dungeon gear.

Demo w' HL + SVC + CD's will just dominate aoe....but it takes a fair bit of setup. I'd also point out the mass of the aoe in 5 mans isn't exactly translating to useful raid toolkit. Its solid despite some occasionally wonky pet AI. Its also extremely self destructive unless you only hellfire in demon form and use HL+multidotting for caster form.

I run w' a formerly EU mage most of the time...he pryo's for what I CB for (@463 ilvl) except his is instant on 8 sec cd while I have to cast 20-25 sec then get off a 3 sec cast. Its all well and good but honestly he can do that all day while being chased/molested/tunneled/etc while I can't so much. He can be outplayed...but its not the spec and I shouldn't have to significantly outplay a mage just to keep up with them if they are halfway decent.

Aff just doesn't do well in 5's once your group is mostly 460+.....its peak isn't high enough to offset its ramp up and there are too many execute situations it can't capitalize on since its the only spec in the game whose execute is casted + channeled + needs other effects up to function. I mean that toolkit just isn't competitive with SWD, kill shot, pally hammer, execute, shadowburn, or really anything else. Movement just cripples it due to the reliance on MG/DS to do anything like respectable damage.

I'd take aff to raid for its sustained pressure but its also the most prone to falling on its face. Demo suffers from pet AI and a convoluted rotation/mechanics but is viable due to its mobility. Destro's numbers are low sustained single target but its ramp up and "creative" use seem to justify its existince for now. I'm 99% sure that aff will outscale it rapidly except for "H.spine" style hurdles.

I would hardly call any of that OP. We still dont' have mehcanics as friendly as what our "peers" have or take for granted. We are just closer to them than we have been so if you used to outplay a raidmate by 20% and come in 10% behind them now you might break even. If outplaying people to only keep up is OP in terms of balance then its time we all quit this game. We spent all of T13 outplaying people for sub standard results. Is hoping for parity while still outplaying them OP??
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
09/29/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Divinèblade
learn to anti magic shell
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Why do people say this, majority of the dungeons I go to warlocks dont even top the list. From what Ive been seeing, it's been
1) Fire Mage
2) Shadow Priest (pretty shocked, guess they know how to play their class)
3) Monks
Yes, there have been alot of Warlocks walking around, but does it really make them. Op....no.Maybe they're talking about PVP, if so then I dont know

Just to echo what the others are saying. Warlock damage is fine.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

If they have, I'm not seeing it in the normal 5mans. Mostly I see hunters as ranged dps, otherwise it's melee. Occasionally you'll see the odd mage or another lock or a ele shammie, but by and large it looks like the playerbase wants to play a hunter to me. I don't blame them, hunters have always practically played themselves. When I need a mule to herb'nmine, I always pick a hunter.

That being said, I do like the fixes, er, changes they made to locks. They've gone from being asinine to somewhat logically designed. Only took them what? Two years?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

That being said, I do like the fixes, er, changes they made to locks. They've gone from being asinine to somewhat logically designed. Only took them what? Two years?

Actually more like 7+ years and while its still an improvement they took a few opportunities to fubar what wasn't wrong like affliciton's spec specific aoe. Flames of Xoroth apparently still shares the "imp bug" whereupon despite never casting him/it in living memory your "rez last pet" always defaults to the imp. This happens in BG's when you rez as well 2 expansions running. GoSac also still has a 2 min cd on it from early beta when you got a buff but that hasn't been relevant in many months but the CD remains so if you die in a big be prepared to not be able to use your grimoire for awhile. Our 87 talent is a complete joke and our 90 talents are as much trap as boon despite reams of constructive feedback on how to improve them.

So yes, locks are improved. However we were the least played going into a tier that was one of the most punitive and unrewarding in history for warlocks. Most of the changes are good but while locks took one step forward the net average of everyone else took 1+ steps forward as well. The flush of new/revived locks was there for awhile but most seem to be dropping them again in favor of others which suggests we probably still have a ways to go for parity. Note: that is parity of QoL/mechanics...nothing to do with numbers.
Reply Quote
99 Gnome Warlock
They killed the Warlock Class back in WoLK and aside from some very brief periods they remain the easiest HK in the battlefield. One on one is a different story as they can just kite you to death fear-dot-fear-dot-fear-dot etc but in most other applications you'd be better off playing just about anything else.

The reason there are so many Locks is because at the lower levels they still maintain the old school Lock power but at the upper levels (83+) they lose all their steam and it's game over tilt.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

The reason there are so many Locks is because at the lower levels they still maintain the old school Lock power but at the upper levels (83+) they lose all their steam and it's game over tilt.

Kinda sad to hear people still saying these sorts of things - because they were saying this two years ago as well.

I gave up on WoW pvp a long time ago - if I want to pvp, I'll play TF2. WoW for me is strictly a pve game.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
With warlocks you just have to know what you are doing. It is not an easy class by any means and most people would be happier just playing, for instance, a mage. But when you micro manage everything just right its so satisfying pumping out the deeps. You just have to be incredibly good at it to make it happen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]