leveling Bear or cat?

90 Night Elf Druid
Which one do you think will be better for leveling in MOP and why?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Use both... cat will get you trough questing faster. Bear so you can instant que
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
when i levled i either que or pvp i qued with tank up to 80 then tanking on my bear was more gear dependant. when pvped go as a kitty, with full heirlooms you will Almost 1 shot all oppenents is so fun.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
If you want insta-queues, go heals. Tanking may or may not make you want to throw things. YMMV.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Tanking is faster ques then heals!!! I get < 10 second que times on my server! ! Up to a minute for my friend who goes as heals, without me! Feral questing is a blast! + you can escape those pesky ganks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you're planning on dungeoning, tank. Solo, DPS. Me personally, I like to do both. I solo while waiting for ques to pop so I just choose DPS to make it easy on myself.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
DPS.

I've had some close calls when I pull too many mobs, but ferals and the talent spec I am using have a lot of ways to save me from taking on too much.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Cat for the open world imo. You pretty much destroy any mob, and with instant clones, 2 speed boosts, displacer beast possibly, and large heals it's nearly impossible to get ganked by 1 person if you want to run.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Tanking is faster ques then heals!!! I get < 10 second que times on my server! ! Up to a minute for my friend who goes as heals, without me!

a) server / battlegroup specific - on mine, I had maybe a 30 sec wait for heals vs instant for tank at lower levels
b) I didn't say heals was necessarily faster than tanking, just that you won't want to smash your keyboard :P

I think I got to Dire Maul before I just gave up on my lowbie bear and went heals due to being kicked from groups because I was so smushy.
Edited by Taswind on 9/26/2012 10:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Since you can level with two specs, I'd recommend running some dungeons as bear so that the other people can have tanks. Mix that in with a healthy dose of questing as a cat with your second spec. :)
Reply Quote
Catcatcatcatcat

Cat x 1,000,000,000.

I cannot stress how terrible bear is. Rofl-awful-bad. Terri-horri-bad. Whatever.

Here's the scoop:

1) You can tank normal dungeons with feral spec. Yes, its true. If your group complains, or if you are wiping a lot, its because your group doesn't know what they're doing, they don't know the dungeon yet, or the healer is in a coma.

2) If you dont feel comfortable doing that, resto is awesome and still gets super fast queues.

3) Cat is way better than i thought it would be for questing speed, world pvp survivability, and still pretty fun. Though i recommend glyphing savage roar...

4) Bear is bad.

Look i know the carebears out there love the new bear model for PvE. I get that, and i can see where it might be fun and interesting.

For anything outside of a dungeon or fighting a poorly played warrior, however, bear is just plain crap. The cat form does ok enough damage, to get by, sure, but thats not the issue. The whole idea behind playing a tank spec is to not be a wet noodle puddle of squish with no options in a fight other than to get totally beat on. You can't put out good pressure, and you can't AoE tank out in the world very well.

You are just plain AWFUL against other players. Thats the part i couldn't stomach. Everything with half a brain completely dominates you. I was kinda hopin bear would make a fun flag capture spec, but no way. Not if it were you and 9 healers could they keep you alive. Yes its that terrible.

Go cat and resto, you won't regret it. If you like synchronized dancing with raid mobs and guildmates in raids then go bear at 90, but other than that its not remotely worth it.

EDIT: I wanted to better illustrate why i think bear is so freaking terrible. Go out and pick a fight with your server's resident Prot War PvP d00d. Go on, do it, every server has at least one of them. You will be dazzled and amazed at how tough he is to kill. Sure his damage output isn't going to be amazing, but the sucker won't die. Add to that, some decent mobility and decent control over the fight depending on talents.

Now while bear has decent control and can probably run away from MOST fights he doesn't want, HE WONT BE ABLE TO SURVIVE WORTH A TURD IN A BLENDER. The cat form is like origami-cat in terms of how frail it is, so you can't put out good pressure before going to tank mode. Which with their particular brand of active mitigation is not actually a tank form at all. Just a big fuzzy cardboard balloon of worthlessness.
Edited by Gatsumarim on 9/26/2012 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Cat until 30, Bear and Cat when you can dual spec. Share the same gear while still getting instant queues
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I've tanked the mop dungeons last night.. Super fun

Very easy as guardian.... Manage some of ur cd... Use ur FR and SD

Was awesome... Did some quests as guardian also.. Maybe not as fast as cat but still easy and u can grab mega mobs and swipe them down
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I leveled 85-90 as bear. Did the instances only once so that I could get the quest exp from them and never touched them until I hit 90 and jumped into heroics. Sure you might not clear as fast as a cat would, but you can pull 4-5+ mobs and kill them with no problem. It is pure preference as to what you want to level as.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yeah I've been leveling through questing and some dungeons here and there, mostly as Guardian and occasionally as Resto when my brother comes with his Prot Warrior.

On my realm I don't have to worry too much about gankers so it's all AoE mob grinding for quests. I usually pull 5-10 mobs at once and kill them with ease.

Haven't tried Feral yet this expansion, I suppose I'll give it a go.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Whatever you do, don't quest as Boomkin from 85-90. That is all.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
09/27/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Phaydre

Heh, I'm sure Boomer rips things apart. I'm guessing you can kill the same pack of mobs people are "tanking" as Guardian in a fraction of the time. Same AoE killing, far less time spend actually doing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
i quested as boomkin. mobs don't touch you between the roots, knockback, etc.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
09/27/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Hanharr

Heh, I'm sure Boomer rips things apart. I'm guessing you can kill the same pack of mobs people are "tanking" as Guardian in a fraction of the time. Same AoE killing, far less time spend actually doing.

This. Boomking ftw. I wished I realized this before, I woulda been 90 on the first night lol
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
As a resto/feral/guardian;

The first zone and a bit doesnt overly matter, Guardian may be best for sheer numbers you can pull.

But after that, it's not even close. Boom or Feral, any dps spec is better.

EDIT: Oh, that was WITH Heroic DS tank gear.

So, probably go dps from the getgo.
Edited by Tonydanza on 9/28/2012 3:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]