Please help me take Pandas seriously for RP

84 Undead Hunter
So you don't like the Sha?

Or the Mogu? Or the internal conflict within the Pandaren society as it combats the external pressures of the Horde and Alliance?

The lore revolving around this expansion is far deeper than any lore previously. Most of the other lore has all be about smashing some bad guy who is making a grab for power or is misguided/lost and we have to put them down.

Here the lore takes on a philosophical level of combating racial and factional prejudices while also giving the choice of freedom and liberty to a people that haven't had that kind of choice in a long time.

Most Pandaren who join the Horde/Alliance are of the younger generations, rebelling against their elders or of the breed that want to be mercenaries much like the Pandaren Brewmasters of the WC3 era. Just looking at all of those things gives rise to endless possibilities when it comes to character development which is the bread and butter of any RP'er.

If you want hack and slash style RP where the plot is straight forward and simple then this expansion is not going to be very nice to you.

Uhm, no it's not my favorite part of the Lore. I prefer the Kaldorei, Troll and Forsaken Lore...but way to assume I somehow automatically enjoy hack n' slash, as you put it, just because the Lore of some races doesn't interest me much. I also am not particularly interested in Orc, Dwarf or Draenei Lore. So what? Everyone has their favorites and the stuff they just don't get into as much. Pandaren Lore just isn't the most interesting to me, in general. Oh well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The lore as a whole develops together. If you like Kaldorei lore you now have to add in what is happening currently into it and how that affects your kaldorei characters. Same applies for Trolls and Forsaken.

The Zandalari play a huge role with the Mogu and the Pandaren and therefore highly affected by MoP Lore. You can't seperate them from each other unless you wish to RP as if you are in the past instead of the present which was all I was saying.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
09/25/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Zelphyius
Pandaren* Now please go away, person who thinks pandaren will ruin the game.

What he said, Blood elves already ruined it!
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
10/05/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Deadmané
What he said, Blood elves already ruined it!

You're joking right,
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Yeah, Belfs ruined it before dks and worgen ruined it.

/starts riot against blizz
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight

...ruined -what- now?
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Warrior
Since most everyone else hit the nail on the head with their posts I'll just throw it out here that the Pandaren aren't a bland race at all.

They stole Pandaria from the Mogu, defeated the Sha and buried them beneath their island home and to keep them there they work to maintain a lifestyle of celebration and happiness, keeping all the "evil" emotions out of their life.

As another said the Shado-Pan and the Golden Lotus are the key defenders of that lifestyle and as such you notice that this is a highly dictated and highly heirarchal lifestyle that some types of characters might rebel against.

The variety of personalities that one can create with such a race is huge and the types of RP's one can create out of that are even larger.

Not gonna lie - I still don't find their Lore particularly interesting or inspiring. Some races I just don't get into as much. And no it does not help that most people RP them as cute cuddly teddy-bears more than anything else, but it is what it is. I've at least found some angle I can work with to a tolerable level, and that's all I really was hoping for. Time will tell if I get more interested in the Lore or not, but I can usually tell right away if something is going to "grab" my attention, and the racial Lore of the Pandaren just doesn't really do it for me.
You seem devoted to not being reasonable about this. Your mind seems pretty made up at this point.
Edited by Elrith on 10/8/2012 2:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
10/05/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Deadmané
dks and worgen ruined it

Coming from a worgen. A level 86 at that.
Edited by Ihealedyou on 10/8/2012 5:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
20 Worgen Warrior
Sorry to not be helpful, but I completly agree with you
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Before MoP actually came out I couldn't imagine pandas just taking a stroll through Goldshire. I mean, seriously-- they're ANIMALS! Worgen have an excuse, they're human too, not only wolves on two legs. Tomorrow I'm getting on my lvl 22 monk on MG and going to try and RP. I come from a PvP server, so I may not be the best to try this out, but heck.
I'm sorry I am of no help to your need, I just wanted to get this out.
Edited by Formchooser on 10/8/2012 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
10/08/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Formchooser
they're ANIMALS!

>_> I'm an animal

10/08/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Formchooser
Worgen have an excuse

Oh ok nevermind :) *goes back to buisness*
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Pretty much the same story for me. They're typical.. and too CUTE. I guess. Tauren are, yes, an anthro race, but they aren't cute and they're a little more... finished? I'm not sure how to explain it, but Pandaren have such simple lore it's mind numbing, just like you put it. They lived on a turtle. They were taught martial arts or whatever and are rather peaceful or passionate. That's like.. it. That's why I'm not particularly interested in Death Knight RP. It's a set story that I can't really change for fear of being shunned.

As for Worgen, I never took them seriously, either. Male worgens more respect than the female. Just because the females look like they are derpin' :P. Though, they have far better and more expansible stories than the Pandas, as well. Even in their little world.

I have played a Pandaren, it's fun enough.. but I don't see myself roleplaying with them.
Plus, I seriously f*cking hate caramelldansen. Why? I don't know. But I find it far too typical for the female Pandaren. Doesn't stop me from playing them, but it made me facepalm hard.
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Monk

Off Topic: Blood Elves were in Warcraft way before Pandaren, Worgen, Undead, Night Elves, and the rest. They were just Elves from Silvermoon.

WC2 Tides of Darkness, best of the Warcraft series imo

On Topic: No one will be able to do anything, you gotta do it yourself
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/08/2012 04:36 PMPosted by Ihealedyou
they're ANIMALS!

>_> I'm an animal

Worgen have an excuse

Oh ok nevermind :) *goes back to buisness*

Haha :) I <3 worgen because I have a strong bond with dogs, so I wouldn't want to make any one worgen unhappy. It might make the pack go wild!!
Reply Quote
I understand completely where the detractors of the Pandas are coming from. I used to play all the time, now I just cant play, I dislike the pandas, I'm 44 years old, I've been playing WoW since 100 gold was a fortune and you couldnt ride anything until 40 and 60 was the cap. I've been an avid player for a long time is the point. Now, since the pandas have been forced on us, I only play maybe an hour a month, and sometimes that is more than I can take.

I was ok with DKs, they were a little over the top, and at first every 12 year old was so obnoxious it was tough, but, and I cant stress this enough THEY FIT THE LANDSCAPE OF THE GAME ! ! ! !

Worgen and Goblins the same thing, I didnt care that much for them but ok, no big deal, you didnt have to play one, you didnt have to play in Gilneas or on the Goblin's island.

With the monks, you have no choice but to play in Panderia or Pandaria or whatever if you wish to progress past 85, get that people? YOU HAVE NO CHOICE.

So all the years of Warcraft have come to a stop for me, I still play some lower level toons, I still have freinds I run with, I still try mightily to enjoy the game, but I miss the days of Draenai and Worgen and Goblins and other races that didnt force you to accept the lore.

Look at the expansions, ok? Outland: fit the lore, nothing too outside the premise of the game we all decided we liked, nice to have new areas to explore. Northrend: a little cold, a little scurgy, a little weird, but still, within the premise of Warcraft and not out of the ordinary. Even the Draenai, Goblin and Worgen starting areas fit the landscape of Warcraft, and you could play the game and not go there.

Thats what we lost with MOP, you WILL like Panderia, you WILL play in Panderia, you WILL accept the farce of Jackie Chan Meets Charlie Chan or you WILL stop playing.

For me, personally, it seems Blizzard left me very little option.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
01/03/2013 06:05 AMPosted by Portafino
I understand completely where the detractors of the Pandas are coming from. I used to play all the time, now I just cant play, I dislike the pandas, I'm 44 years old, I've been playing WoW since 100 gold was a fortune and you couldnt ride anything until 40 and 60 was the cap. I've been an avid player for a long time is the point. Now, since the pandas have been forced on us, I only play maybe an hour a month, and sometimes that is more than I can take.

I've played that long as well, and I haven't found the race to be 'forced on us'. Yes, in RP, you tend to interact with people of said race - but you aren't forced to play the race. Any race, barring worgen and goblins, can be a monk - you do have to go to Pandaria for your monk training but that's every 10 levels or so after 20 - no big deal on that, as you only pop in then pop out, and you get a nice experience bonus.

Though you don't have to do it. You can get gear that equates to what you get from going there quite easily. And you don't need to go there to train skills, so... you really only go there if you want an experience boost. You aren't forced to get one.

I was ok with DKs, they were a little over the top, and at first every 12 year old was so obnoxious it was tough, but, and I cant stress this enough THEY FIT THE LANDSCAPE OF THE GAME ! ! ! !

Eh, not really - Death Knights don't much mesh with Elwynn or Lakeshire. Both places are too sunny and cheerful.

Worgen and Goblins the same thing, I didnt care that much for them but ok, no big deal, you didnt have to play one, you didnt have to play in Gilneas or on the Goblin's island.

Well, you did. You had to level out of both zones to play them with the Alliance and Horde.

With the monks, you have no choice but to play in Panderia or Pandaria or whatever if you wish to progress past 85, get that people? YOU HAVE NO CHOICE.

You had no choice but to go to Outlands to level past 60?
You had no choice but to go to Northrend if you wanted to level past 70? Admittedly, it gave you the choice of Howling Fjord or Borean Tundra.
Cataclysm you had a choice of Hyjal or Vashj'ir - but you still had to play in Cata zones to level past 80.
I don't see how Pandaria is any different - all classes have to go to Pandaria to level past 85, not just monks.

So all the years of Warcraft have come to a stop for me, I still play some lower level toons, I still have freinds I run with, I still try mightily to enjoy the game, but I miss the days of Draenai and Worgen and Goblins and other races that didnt force you to accept the lore.

They did force you to accept lore. The Draenei forced you to accept an entire race that was retconned to be different from their first introduction, and changed quite a lot.

Worgen forced you to accept the fact Gilneas was infected by the Worgen Curse instead of being regular humans.

Goblins forced you to accept the existence of a named Cartel and Brooklyn/Jersey accents.

Look at the expansions, ok? Outland: fit the lore, nothing too outside the premise of the game we all decided we liked, nice to have new areas to explore. Northrend: a little cold, a little scurgy, a little weird, but still, within the premise of Warcraft and not out of the ordinary. Even the Draenai, Goblin and Worgen starting areas fit the landscape of Warcraft, and you could play the game and not go there.

You don't have to go to Pandaria after you hit 90, actually. You can if you want, I do because I think it's quite lovely, but I also generally stick to Stormwind for RP. I guess if you decide to raid you need to go to Pandaria... but you aren't forced to raid.

Thats what we lost with MOP, you WILL like Panderia, you WILL play in Panderia, you WILL accept the farce of Jackie Chan Meets Charlie Chan or you WILL stop playing.

That's what it was like in all expansions. You'll like Outlands and you'll play in it or you'll stop playing.

You'll like Northrend, and you'll play in it, or you'll stop playing.

You'll like Cataclysm, and you'll play in it, and you'll deal with Metzen everywhere, or you'll stop playing.

Pandaria didn't change anything.

For me, personally, it seems Blizzard left me very little option.

Clearly they did, considering they gave you an entirely different game than all of us were playing prior to Pandaria.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
Ah... ah... I love these convos...

Why hate the pandas? If they were grizzly bears, WOOOOOOO! If polar bears, HOLY SH*T THAT'S F*CKING AMAZING I'M NEVER STOPPING WOW UNTIL IT ENDS EVER YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pandas? FUUUUUUUUUUUU etc.

Ya see? It's the fact that they're pandas. Pandas, and not something else. Also, for the record, pandaren were originally gonna be instead of Draenei, that race that was TOTALLY F*CKING RETCONNED LOREWISE that we still accepted. And for the whole KFP argument... Damn it, people, look at WC2! When was that, 1998 or '6 or something? KFP came out in 2008, a whole 10 or 12 years AFTER pandas were introduced into the WC universe. For all you know, the movie was based off of Blizzard's... well, kung-fu pandas.

So yeah. That's just my played-out, used-100-times two copper. Pay attention to it or not, doesn't matter too much. Mao, keep going.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
A Pandaren that's interested more in the intricacies of armor, and weapons. Just because a monk is a signature class for the race, doesn't mean that your Pandaren needs to conform to the whole 'hit things with fist'.

Perhaps s/he's a Lorewalker in training, and has a disturbing interest in how to improve Mogu weaponry, to make it practical in regular adventuring.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]