I think I ran my macbook too hard. [fixed]

90 Pandaren Monk
Was doing WoE when it shut off out of nowhere, and decided on not turning back on again.
I press the power button, and the light blinks a few times... then stops. Screen stays dark.

EDIT: Will try to get canned air and powerscrub this thing, so to speak. :P
Edited by Meiyue on 9/26/2012 2:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Have you tried cleaning the dust out of it?

Laptops tend to collect dust inside of them and need to be cleaned out. This can generally be done by using some sort of pressurized air gun.
Edited by Calmai on 9/26/2012 2:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Laptops tend to collect dust inside of them and need to be cleaned out. This can generally be done by using some sort of pressurized air gun.

I should try that... tomorrow.

I think somebody stole the air canister though.
Reply Quote

Yeah I have this air blaster doohiky that attaches to a whatsit that makes a ton of noise (I know I'm so scientific) and I just blast the bottom of my laptop every month or so, the dust comes out the keyboard and it's fine. I do this whenever my computer starts shutting off, because it's a case of overheating and the laptop going into "protect me" mode.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Yeah I have this air blaster doohiky that attaches to a whatsit that makes a ton of noise (I know I'm so scientific) and I just blast the bottom of my laptop every month or so, the dust comes out the keyboard and it's fine. I do this whenever my computer starts shutting off, because it's a case of overheating and the laptop going into "protect me" mode.

Yeeeaaaahhh... I think I need to, seeing as I can't remember the last time I dusted it out.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Probably a heat issue.

It's generally a good idea to NOT immediately try to turn back on any sort of hardware you think was overheating. It will probably just turn right back off because it hasn't cooled, but you can cause damage if you keep it overheating. Calmai is correct. Let the thing cool off, get a can of compressed air and a vacuum cleaner and go to work on the vents and fans while it's turned off. Don't touch the vacuum to any of the interior, they have a bad habit of generating static charge. But touching it to the exterior case and vents is fine.

If it won't power on after you let it cool and clean it, better hope it's under warranty and Apple will do an RMA, because your processor or some other hardware probably died. If it IS under warranty or some sort of protection plan, don't tinker with it beyond cleaning. Especially if you don't know what you're doing.

Just to emphasize it a bit more, if cleaning and cooling DO cure it, please try to be a bit more proactive in not letting it reach the point where your system needs to shut itself down to protect the hardware. It will murder the life span of your equipment, not to mention data loss etc. Regular dust removal, maybe a cooling pad or something. Prevention is the best medicine and whatnot.
Edited by Lellex on 9/26/2012 2:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Remember, always take the simple solutions first. If those don't work, then look for more complex problems.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well, I'm able to turn it back on now after dusting it out a bit... I think I'm not going to play WoW on it until I give it a good cleaning, though.

Thanks guys for your help. :3
Edited by Meiyue on 9/26/2012 2:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Heating issue, most likely. Check if your laptop has dust collection. IF so, clean it out asap. Get some proper fans for the laptop as the battery and machine itself loves to heat up quickly as it plays video games. I use a small fan perfect for a desk, and a laptop fan just to keep my laptop in check.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
Macbooks are infamous for overheating. Make sure you're always playing on a solid surface where the heat vent can work without being obstructed. Get a cooling base if possible, and look into getting a tool such as smfFanControl that overrides Apple's "keep quiet" setting to pump those fans up earlier than the default.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]