Sha of Doubt — please make untargetable

90 Human Hunter
OK. I know this is not, technically speaking, a big deal.

But.

In Temple of the Jade Serpent, Sha of Doubt goes invulnerable while channeling Bounds of Reality. But he's still targetable.

"Well, don't be stupid, target the adds". Yes, yes. I know. The problem is that groups like to drag all the adds to the middle of the room for some reason, meaning you're constantly clicking a giant transparent Sha while trying to target adds.

The reason I bring this up is because it's not really an issue of fight mechanics — it's easy to figure, "Don't hit boss now" — but a logistical / UI issue where a giant translucent boss blob obstructs everything that's going on. I think that's unnecessarily frustrating.

So, please, when this goes Live shortly consider making the Sha of Doubt completely unable to be interacted with during Bounds of Reality.

Lives will be saved. Tears of joy will be shed. No one will ever know the sacrifices made to bring them a less annoying Sha, but I'll be happier. ^^
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Healthbars on a screen are laid on top of a model*, so pressing V or hitting Tab allows you to target whatever you want.

*That might be related to having TIdyPlates, but I'm 60% sure default plates have the same functionality.

I don't see how this is actually an issue.
Edited by Slashlove on 9/24/2012 8:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Actually he also obstructs the default nameplates, and god help you if you're trying to click without nameplates active. He's a very fat ghost. Thing.

The sensible solution is to just not stack inside the boss, of course, but you're combining "LFD" and "sensible" in one sentence. So in the spirit of making changes to make LFD more smooth, I would suggest making him totally untargetable during Bounds of Reality.

As I already stated, it's annoying, not jump-on-this-now-and-fix-it-omg-broken.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Actually he also obstructs the default nameplates, and god help you if you're trying to click without nameplates active. He's a very fat ghost. Thing.

So hit Tab?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Tab targeting is not always ideal when you want a specific target or simply aren't in the habit of doing it that way.

It's because the Sha takes up so much space in the room, it can easily fill up your camera while you're rushing to deal with the adds. Again, it would be a nice logistical change on the fight because he's so fat.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Tab targeting is not always ideal when you want a specific target or simply aren't in the habit of doing it that way.

There are a limited number of targets in an environment where you'd only be looking to attack another target after you've killed your own.

Make it a habit.

Another solution is to simply assist off someone else, using target of target or the F key.

At worst these add maybe 0.5 seconds of overhead and won't affect the outcome in any way. If you expect them to make changes to accommodate for a lack of basic effort on your part, you're going to be here waiting for a long time. There are plenty of options available that have no limitations except player-enforced stupidity.
Edited by Slashlove on 9/24/2012 10:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
That might be related to having TIdyPlates, but I'm 60% sure default plates have the same functionality.

I don't see how this is actually an issue.

nah, default does it to, TP just looks better.

@OP:

I'd just make a target macro.
I already have one for elementium bolt, spine tendons, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
09/24/2012 10:54 PMPosted by Slashlove
At worst these add maybe 0.5 seconds of overhead and won't affect the outcome in any way. If you expect them to make changes to accommodate for a lack of basic effort on your part, you're going to be here waiting for a long time. There are plenty of options available that have no limitations except player-enforced stupidity.
lol, they make changes all the time because a mechanic is somewhat annoying or inconvenient but otherwise harmless. Oftentimes it doesn't even make it into patch notes, you just log one day and notice, "Oh, they fixed ... ".

It's merely a suggestion, the devs are free to act on it or ignore it as always, and it would not hurt you in any way if it was made.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Asking for a quality of life upgrade and asking for a nerf, while not mutually exclusive, are also not the same thing.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
09/25/2012 04:51 AMPosted by Jackstraw
Wow, didn't take long for the QQ to start; "Blizz please nerf in the first 12 hours, I don't know how to target".

Was before it even came out
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
So, actually doing the encounter, There's no need for it to be untargettable, it's not "HUUUUGE" and the adds spawn in predictable spots, your group and adjust to group them where ever they want, and the game screams "SWITCH TARGETS" at you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Guys, let me try explaining this again: this isn't about making the fight "easier" as I already stressed in my other posts — the mechanic is not difficult. It's simply slightly mechanically annoying because a large, fat ghost blob occupies a very small cramped room and soaks your cleaves and clicks in a way which sort of supercedes fight design and bleeds into UI obstruction.

This is simply intended as a polish suggestion. It's one of those things where you're doing the fight and go, "Hmm, this feels slightly off, it feels like a bit of a rough edge". So I'm offering my feedback about it.

I hope you can perceive that statements like "lives will be saved" and "the sacrifices made this day" indicate my tongue is firmly in my cheek about the magnitude of the issue. However, I don't feel that just because a suggestion is very minor means that it should go unmade.

I'm not, for example, complaining about Yan-Zhu because while the fight can potentially be incredibly annoying under some combinations, it's all legitimate mechanical issues which simply need to be learned and overcome — which I have no issue with and frankly see no need to change.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
09/25/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Cole
Guys, let me try explaining this again: this isn't about making the fight "easier" as I already stressed in my other posts — the mechanic is not difficult.

It doesn't matter how many times you say this--it won't change the responses you're going to get. The R&D Crusaders assume that any change whatsoever to make something more enjoyable or less frustrating is the same thing as lessening the difficulty.

These are the same people that associated farming Whipper Root Tubers with "difficulty" in vanilla WoW, and having 6 resto shaman with "skill" in Burning Crusade.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Wait, so what if you just don't tank the adds in the middle? I haven't done it, but I imagine tanks can pick up the melee adds, and ranged can cc/interrupt or kill the ranged adds.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
It doesn't matter how many times you say this--it won't change the responses you're going to get. The R&D Crusaders assume that any change whatsoever to make something more enjoyable or less frustrating is the same thing as lessening the difficulty.

making 5 mans even more faceroll doesn't add the the enjoyment, the mobs targettable with the game screaming "switch targets" as a very very basic retard check.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I was just trying to provide some means for you to help yourself overcome the encounter if you're stuck on it. It just seemed a simpler, faster, way to beat it by not tanking the adds on top of the obstacle - than to wait for some developer to fix it.

Is there some reason you can't tank them off the obstacle? I'm not familiar with the encounter.
Edited by Firestyle on 9/25/2012 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Guys, let me try explaining this again: this isn't about making the fight "easier" as I already stressed in my other posts — the mechanic is not difficult. It's simply slightly mechanically annoying because a large, fat ghost blob occupies a very small cramped room and soaks your cleaves and clicks in a way which sort of supercedes fight design and bleeds into UI obstruction.

When you make statements like that, it has to actually be a giant bob in a small room that does that.

It actually isn't, however. Using default nameplates, clicking on the nameplates works 100%. I tested that. FOr UI obstruction to occur, it has to actually happen, instead of something requiring people to not hit V and never know about Tab.

If the boss shoved you into a corner so that your view was blocked (a'la gyrocopters before reloadui trololol), then it would actually be a UI issue. Right now, what you're suggesting happens doesn't actually happen.

Suggesting a change needs an actual issue to be present. They do little QoL changes when they're actually issues.

Is there some reason you can't tank them off the obstacle? I'm not familiar with the encounter.

It's not really an obstacle. Think Old Kingdom last boss. THe boss goes immune and you all spawn clones that attack you. Except there's no phasing and each person spawns one clone of themselves that attacks them (instead of the entire party), and you can always see the boss.
Edited by Slashlove on 9/25/2012 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]