Just Some Observations About the Lowbie Game

71 Worgen Priest
After raising a Disc Priest to this prestigious level of 63, I've come to some conclusions about the low level game. Please note, this is the experience of someone who lives on a PvP server, where toons your own level are cool, and high level toons are total jerks. (This might be due to the fact that most toons my level are hesitant to try to kill me, realizing that that may take a while, due to my ability to shield and heal myself. I once fought a warrior and healer duo at my own level to a standstill. Keeping myself shielded and protected, and with a mana pool that just wouldn't quit, they eventually moved on.)

Most important stats

Stamina, Stamina and Stamina. Did I mention Stamina? (Spirit, at low level is severely overrated. Mana seems to be inexhaustible and it's extraordinarily difficult to truly deplete the mana pool. I only came close once, when doing the Stormwind Stockade dungeon with a very inexperienced tank, who was eventually kicked from the group. You can't run out of mana. Don't sacrifice Stamina instead for Spirit.) I would grab Intellect and Spirit on gear when I could, but not if it meant taking a hit in Stamina. I didn't start seriously looking for Spirit until I reached Hellfire Peninsula (level 58).

Be good.

Tanks do not have a full tool kit, and most people who are creating new tanks are inexperienced. They'll suck. Which means you can't. Get the mouseover macros made. Here's mine:

Flash Heal:

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover,help,exists] [target=target,help,nodead][target=targettarget,help,nodead] [target=player] Flash Heal

Power Word: Shield

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover,help,exists] [target=target,help,nodead][target=targettarget,help,nodead] [target=player] Power Word: Shield

Renew

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover,help,exists] [target=target,help,nodead][target=targettarget,help,nodead] [target=player] Renew

Simply pass your mouse pointer over the toon you wish to cast the spell upon, or upon their name in the group window, and click the number on your number keyboards, and you'll cast the spell upon them.

Watch everyone's health bar closely, and click as needed.

Don't forget to watch your own health. I am guilty of occasionally dying and letting my group wipe, because I watched everyone's health bar so closely, I neglected my own.

Penance

The most revered spell in your arsenal...at higher levels. At low levels, you should almost never need it. Penance is your "Awww...sh**!" spell. It's when you see someone who needs an instant burst of health, and I mean if you have one second to save someone's life. For everything else, there's Flash Heal. I generally used Penance for DPS. If it didn't have application as a DPS spell, I'd likely have forgotten I even had it.

Renew is another rarely used spell. It's for topping off someone's health bar. It's also a good idea to maintain this spell on the tank, if you're dealing with a tank who doesn't use a shield. (Usually a Death Knight, and you won't see those until 55.)

Greater Heal and Heal

I never used them. With Flash Heal, I don't need them. I don't even have the macros for them. As I said, mana was almost never an issue. Perhaps toward the end game, mana will become a more serious issue, and I will need those spells to conserve mana, but for now, I don't need to.

The spells I use for healing, even at level 63, in order of frequency, from most often to rarely used, are: Power Word: Shield, Flash Heal, Renew, Prayer of Healing and Penance.

Spirit Shell

Still working on incorporating this spell. And I should use it more often. As it is, I'm using this during boss fights when there's a dragon or some other AoE using boss. But with the very mild cooldown time, there's simply no good reason not to give your entire group a nice candy shell as often as possible.

It also stacks with the bubbles that form on crit heals and Prayer of Healing, and of course, with Power Word: Shield. So, you can have your entire group triple coated.

Glyphs

The new Glyph system sucks. You can now only have only one cosmetic glyph and one useful glyph released at a time.

I used Holy Fire and Penance as my two glyphs. Holy Fire renders the spell instant cast, and Penance allows me to cast it while moving. Being able to cast while running is vital on a PvP server.

I enjoy being a Disc Priest on PvP. As mentioned above, the ability to shield yourself and heal yourself will make most people your own level think twice about attacking you.

I was actually impressed when I, despite the recent nerf to Penance, at level 58 I was attacked by a 59 level warlock. Despite the fact that I was beset by mobs when she attacked with her Voidwalker and Imp army, I managed to keep myself up long enough to kill the mobs, then kill her Voidwalker. I then turned on her, and when she ran away, I was able to chase and kill her, thanks to Holy Fire and Penance.

I'm a bluebie at heart, despite being on a PvP server. I never attack anyone that didn't attack me first, and anyone who ganks lowbies is obviously someone who gets beaten up in school every day, so needs to come play WoW so they can harass someone else.
Edited by Arston on 9/25/2012 2:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Did you mention that you play on a PvP server? Or do you play on a PvP server?

Anyway, to save your sanity on a PvP server, make alts - and level all professions. No matter how well you gear (even in heirlooms) and stack stam, lowbies will die to a max-level ganker every time. It's like a Prius vs. Sherman Tank. Give them 2 kills then if they're morons who start to camp you, log and play an alt.

And being a priest, help others in the area. Feel good about yourself and you may make a your own pet tank friend who will do all the quest work in the zone while you file your nails and hit him with a shield and Renew once in a while.
Reply Quote
71 Worgen Priest
By the way, I should point out that the opinions expressed are my own, and are not intended in any way to be the definitive style of play. I freely admit that there are those who are more experienced than I am, and you should always defer to the advice of experts.
Reply Quote
71 Worgen Priest
And being a priest, help others in the area. Feel good about yourself and you may make a your own pet tank friend who will do all the quest work in the zone while you file your nails and hit him with a shield and Renew once in a while.

Always good advice. Buff whomever you can, whenever you can. Since Fort now works off a percentage of your Stamina, rather than a base score increase, EVERYONE, even the most powerful 85 (soon to be ninety), will benefit from your Fortitude.

And again, leave lowbies alone. You don't know what they have for alts or who else is in their guild.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]