What would you "borrow" from GW2

95 Blood Elf Death Knight
*I've looked and couldn't find a similar thread on this*(though i assume there probably is one)

What are the top 1-3 mechanics that you would like to "borrow" from GW2.

1. World vs World. I want massive battles that just continue on almost endlessly that you can hop in and out of with no penalty. Blizzard is most likely not going to return AV to the way it used to be so this would be a possible alternative
2. The Waypoint system: After coming back to wow after playing GW2 i was kind of irritated that i had to run back to a flight point in order to go to a new zone and if my HS was on cd i had to walk.
3. Down scaling of levels. But in dungeons and raids only (maybe a few zones). Maybe have a separate version that you can toggle (like how you toggle heroic/normal) so that technically all dungeon/raid content could be level appropriate. (note: keep a version that does not mess with your stats in case you just want to farm for Transmog

I would take the combat systems as well but that would be too massive of an overhaul to pull off and would make a lot of people butt hurt.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
1) Cleanliness of the graphics/animations. If you look at the character animations in GW2, they're just much less awkward than the WoW ones. I'd imagine this is part of the models update they're working on.
2) Jumping puzzles/Vistas! I love love LOVE these in GW2. Make them achievements with no tangible reward aside from Achievement Points, though--don't tie a gold/item reward to them. There are so many wonderful views in WoW that deserve to be seen more, with their own little cutscenes. And the little jumping mini-game--frustrating as anything, but I am obsessed with the freaking things. It's nice to see challenge in a game that can't be overcome with better gear/more levels!
3) Cultural armor. Similar to Challenge Mode armor, but for races--iconic transmog gear. GW2's stuff has stats, but I'd prefer WoW to have something without stats on it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/26/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Bloodlustzro
I love the cooperation of Gw2 instead of the constant headache that is WoW quests/resource nodes.

This. Too much racing to steal mobs/nodes, not enough actual cooperation. Yes, you can group. People don't want to.
Reply Quote
09/26/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Bloodlustzro
I do not have to grind 90 levels and then grind battlegrounds in order to actually play. I love making new classes, taking them into Spvp and take a good hard look at the traits/skills.

This was the reason I didn't buy GW2.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
after playing guild wars 2 so much i still find myself trying to roll and use "f" to interact. rolling would be nice but i dont really see it having a place in wow. waypoints too would be convenient but you have to remember blizzard is trying to keep players in the world travelling. jumping puzzles and vistas.. YES!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Dynamic Events... a mix of those while you're doing the linear quests would be awesome, because even though the quests are linear you would have a different experience doing it each time.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
The auction house is the best one ever, so that.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Norns.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Rolling and active dodge buttons would be perfect in WOW, I've been saying they should be in wow for about 8 years now. Having to run out of AOE is antiquated compared to what video games have shown us can be done with movement in the last 30 years.

More platformer and more tactile action game systems are the natural progression of MMOS.
I always loved that jump over Black Fathom Deeps :) But WOW has had a few secret "jump puzzels" in the past. It's just not a regular system or elaborate enough.

I'd like to see double jumping too, maybe as a racial. Wildstar shows how fun and addictive it is.

As much as people deride hopping as "mindless" and superficial, WOW was the first MMO to realize actually moving around should be fun to do in itself, it feels smooth and fun to hop and run in WOW. Double jumping would be addictive.
Reply Quote
62 Human Paladin
09/26/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Cliodhna
1. World vs World. I want massive battles that just continue on almost endlessly that you can hop in and out of with no penalty. Blizzard is most likely not going to return AV to the way it used to be so this would be a possible alternative

that sounds fun, I might have to play gw2.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
MVP
If WoW took ANYTHING from GW2, anything at all, I would want it to be the credit system. It's annoying and unnecessary to have to fight to tag mobs to get loot and credit for a quest. We already have this idea for the named quest NPCs, but I feel if this was incorporated in all of the questing it would help a ton. GW2 was a lot more laid back and had a helpful atmosphere rather than what WoW has, which is a fight for a mob mentality.

Events were extremely fun, too (when they weren't spawned on top of you). They were great especially when you were in the middle of completing a quest and the event gave credit towards the completion. I feel like an event system (that doesn't interfere with progression through the zone) would also help with the community and entertainment while leveling.

Vistas, POIs, and the weapon system (each weapon has its own set of spells) were all fantastic ideas but I feel they wouldn't find a good place in WoW.

Also, the Hearts and Events of GW2 are better than Quests in WoW. For Hearts, you can do any combination of a few different things to fill up the progress bar. Events are dynamic and WoW needs those.

Cheers.

Oh, this is a good idea too I forgot to mention. It would make questing less linear and grindy I think if we had the ability to choose whether to feed a farmers animals, kill bandits, or water the burning crops.

A separate bank for mats is another good idea I wouldn't mind using from GW2 also. ;P
Edited by Lythaline on 9/26/2012 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well that's okay. It's actually really nice to have a constant playing field. Everyone in Spvp is equal in gear, it comes down to how well you can play and how well your team works together. It's a great deal more enjoyable than the constant headache of WoW Battlegrounds where gear imbalances or lack of healers can ruin your chances of winning.

When I battleground in WoW and come across a poor soul who's in pve gear trying to get some honor, I weep for them. It's not fun. It's really disappointing to be unable to do anything against people not because you're playing poorly but because they've got their full pvp set and you have 1pc.

To each their own, this is just my personal experience. I'd like to hear why you like the WoW model, I'm curious :P

The easiest explanation is that I like progression. I like feeling like I'm slowly earning upgrades and being rewarded. A new visual armor set or color swap doesn't interest me like earning gear with higher stats which also impacts my rotation or spec in interesting ways.
Edited by Danadmcballs on 9/26/2012 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
I wouldn't take anything it is it's own type of MMO and an MMO styled like Wow wouldn't do well implementing almost anything that exits in that game.

09/26/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Cliodhna
2. The Waypoint system: After coming back to wow after playing GW2 i was kind of irritated that i had to run back to a flight point in order to go to a new zone and if my HS was on cd i had to walk.

Because GW2 donen't have mounts.

3. Down scaling of levels. But in dungeons and raids only (maybe a few zones). Maybe have a separate version that you can toggle (like how you toggle heroic/normal) so that technically all dungeon/raid content could be level appropriate. (note: keep a version that does not mess with your stats in case you just want to farm for Transmog

Challenge modes are pretty much that step. Your gear gets scaled at the very least.

Dynamic Events... a mix of those while you're doing the linear quests would be awesome, because even though the quests are linear you would have a different experience doing it each time.

*cough*rift*cough*
Edited by Rigrot on 9/26/2012 3:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
No tagging system, everyone gets count regardless of who tagged it as well as loot from it as well...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
If WoW took ANYTHING from GW2, anything at all, I would want it to be the credit system. It's annoying and unnecessary to have to fight to tag mobs to get loot and credit for a quest. We already have this idea for the named quest NPCs, but I feel if this was incorporated in all of the questing it would help a ton. GW2 was a lot more laid back and had a helpful atmosphere rather than what WoW has, which is a fight for a mob mentality.

This. My friend has been playing a Pandaren Monk and went to Kalimdor, which was SWAMPED with people and he was having an extremely frustrating time trying to tag mobs. On the other hand, I was having a breeze of a time in Eastern Kingdoms, seeing only one or two other players every 10 minutes or so. I would love that system for WoW. I think it really encourages cooperation.

I would also love to be able to downscale in dungeons and still gain some experience, so I could run a dungeon with a level 30 friend who just started even if I didn't have a level 30 character, instead of always having to be like "Hurry up buddy. Get to max level so we can play together."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]