Weird Frames-Per-Second Problem

90 Pandaren Shaman
Just put together a new computer that is in every way an upgrade from my old one. Yet, I continue to have this strange problem. Sometimes, when I turn in a certain direction on WoW, the FPS will drop to exactly 30, no higher, no lower. Usually it is inside a building, or during when I am turning in quests. I will complete a couple quests, and when the quest text is gone from my screen, the FPS drops to 30. If I hit the Windows button on my keyboard and then click back into the game, or if I /reload UI the FPS goes back to normal. Anyone know what's going on?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
List your current Hardware + resolution

Does this happen on all settings? ex. Low/Med/High/Ultra
All your drivers up to date ?
Edited by Jeyded on 9/26/2012 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I haven't checked if my drivers are up to date. I just put it together yesterday, would it install all the current drivers or do I have to do it manually?

Edit: Yes, on any settings, could be low everything.
Edited by Elyraa on 9/26/2012 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
newer drivers usually work out the bugs that occur in games
still I am curious what specs you are currently running on and the resolution you play at as that may or may not be the result

go to option ~ system ~ advance and scroll the max background fps to 100 and see if that fix the fps problem you have when WoW is in the background.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
CPU: Intel i5 3450
GPU: GTX 550 Ti
RAM: 4GB
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
newer drivers usually work out the bugs that occur in games
still I am curious what specs you are currently running on and the resolution you play at as that may or may not be the result

go to option ~ system ~ advance and scroll the max background fps to 100 and see if that fix the fps problem you have when WoW is in the background.

This happened on my old computer too, it always cuts the FPS in half and my drivers are up to date. It's really annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Every time I enter this house, when I go back out FPS drops to 30...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Was this a fresh WoW installed? seems kinda weird if it only happens when you enter a certain house
Try deleting your cache folder and see if that helps.
Try updating your addons if you have any open.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Was this a fresh WoW installed? seems kinda weird if it only happens when you enter a certain house
Try deleting your cache folder and see if that helps.
Try updating your addons if you have any open.

I shared it through homegroup from my other computer. And do I delete the folder or everything in it?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The folder itself
if the problem persists, try running running the repair tool and the last option would probably do a fresh install.

If the same problem persist with the old computer and occurs with the new one its most likely some files have gone bad.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
The folder itself
if the problem persists, try running running the repair tool and the last option would probably do a fresh install.

If the same problem persist with the old computer and occurs with the new one its most likely some files have gone bad.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Still happening. Trying repair tool. Would a fresh install include all the patches? Because that would take forever.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
That's great, there is not even a repair tool in the launcher anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/26/2012 07:00 PMPosted by Elyraa
Still happening. Trying repair tool. Would a fresh install include all the patches? Because that would take forever.

For my new computer I just downloaded it over night. I think it took about 5.5 hours, although it did finish overnight so I don't know exactly how long it took.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Disable all addons, move WTF folder out of WoW install folder.
Run game.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/26/2012 10:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Disable all addons, move WTF folder out of WoW install folder.
Run game.

Okay, I'll try that. But what if I turn my addons back on later?

Also, I updated drivers and the problem persists.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I can't move it out. Says it cannot be moved because it is running in another program...nothing is running.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
This problem doesn't make any sense. In one little area, I get 30 fps. I move out and I get 70-100 fps. Then if I go back in the area where I just got 30 fps it is fine. This is ridiculous.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Disabled all addons, still a problem.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]