Arthas vs Illidan

63 Worgen Rogue
If you played WC3, you will remember in the end of the Undead campaign that Arthas kills Illidan, but think with me. In RoC, after Illidan is freed by Tyrande, he fights Arthas for hours and they consider one another evenly matched. Immediately after that, Illidan becomes much more powerful by absorbing the Skull of Guldan. Throughout Undead campaign, Arthas is losing his power as energy leaks from the Lich King's tomb and he de-levels. Prior to Northrend, Sylvanas paralyzes him with a poisoned arrow. All of these factors point to Illidan having a considerable advantage against Arthas.

Give your opinions! :-)

[EDIT]

By the way, if you don't remember what im talking about, or didn't play Warcraft 3(Buy it now), here's a video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WD67fXF4aQ
Edited by Ruphles on 9/27/2012 2:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I recall in RotLK novel, it states that the Lich King gives Arthas a temporary boost with all the power he can spare. I assume that evened them up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
09/27/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Katarn
I recall in RotLK novel, it states that the Lich King gives Arthas a temporary boost with all the power he can spare. I assume that evened them up.

Yeah, this. The Lich King says something along the lines of "I give you all of the power I can spare." Arthas then goes beyond the power he had at the start of the campaign.

As far as game mechanics go, Illidan is much better since Demon Hunters are better in 1v1 Hero situations than DKs
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
Wait you mean back in warcraft 3 if Arthas didn't have the power boost or right now before Illidan and Arthas were about to get killed at their separate times they got teleported in a different place where they would fight against one another?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/27/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Ruphles
If you played WC3, you will remember in the end of the Undead campaign that Arthas kills Illidan, but think with me.

Arthas didn't kill Illidan. Illidan was knocked out, but Arthas didn't take the time to deliver a killing blow because he was determined to reach the Frozen Throne as soon as possible.

In RoC, after Illidan is freed by Tyrande, he fights Arthas for hours and they consider one another evenly matched.

They were evenly matched, but they didn't fight for hours. It was less than a minute.

Immediately after that, Illidan becomes much more powerful by absorbing the Skull of Guldan. Throughout Undead campaign, Arthas is losing his power as energy leaks from the Lich King's tomb and he de-levels. Prior to Northrend, Sylvanas paralyzes him with a poisoned arrow. All of these factors point to Illidan having a considerable advantage against Arthas.

Sylvanas's arrow was a non-factor: the effects wore off long before Arthas reached Northrend.

Arthas did grow weaker over the course of the campaign, but Ner'zhul gave him all the power he could spare before that final battle, making Arthas stronger than he'd ever been before. Illidan still had a slight edge, but he was overconfident. As soon as he made a mistake, Arthas capitalized on it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well, It was less Arthas and more sentient sword, but yeah.
Reply Quote
63 Worgen Rogue
Posted by Ruphles
If you played WC3, you will remember in the end of the Undead campaign that Arthas kills Illidan, but think with me.

Arthas didn't kill Illidan. Illidan was knocked out, but Arthas didn't take the time to deliver a killing blow because he was determined to reach the Frozen Throne as soon as possible.

Yeah, but you know what i meant.

In RoC, after Illidan is freed by Tyrande, he fights Arthas for hours and they consider one another evenly matched.

They were evenly matched, but they didn't fight for hours. It was less than a minute.

Again, you know what i meant, this don't changes the history at all >_>

Immediately after that, Illidan becomes much more powerful by absorbing the Skull of Guldan. Throughout Undead campaign, Arthas is losing his power as energy leaks from the Lich King's tomb and he de-levels. Prior to Northrend, Sylvanas paralyzes him with a poisoned arrow. All of these factors point to Illidan having a considerable advantage against Arthas.

Sylvanas's arrow was a non-factor: the effects wore off long before Arthas reached Northrend.

Arthas did grow weaker over the course of the campaign, but Ner'zhul gave him all the power he could spare before that final battle, making Arthas stronger than he'd ever been before. Illidan still had a slight edge, but he was overconfident. As soon as he made a mistake, Arthas capitalized on it.

Still, he absorbed the skull of gul'dan, of course at human campaing arthas also gets friggin OP because of the Frostmourne. Anyway, even if Arthas won, HOW IN THE HELL THAT UPPERCUT DIDN'T CUT ILLIDAN IN A HALF?!

Anyway, i still think that would make more sence if illidan won...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Posted by Ruphles

Yeah, but you know what i meant.

Again, you know what i meant, this don't changes the history at all >_>

Still, he absorbed the skull of gul'dan, of course at human campaing arthas also gets friggin OP because of the Frostmourne. Anyway, even if Arthas won, HOW IN THE HELL THAT UPPERCUT DIDN'T CUT ILLIDAN IN A HALF?!

Anyway, i still think that would make more sence if illidan won...

Have you seen where the sword hits? Illidan's front. There is a very nasty scar left all over his chest.
Illidan winning would not make that much sense. Arthas was supercharged with the power of the Lich King, a being that was already becoming more powerful than the Legion expected. Furthermore, Arthas is far better with his weapon than Illidan. Illidan spent ten thousand years in prison, doing nothing (sure, he remained fit, but I highly doubt that he was at the top of his shape) while Arthas was extremely fit and an expert warrior. It only took a single mistake from Illidan for Arthas to immediately take the upper hand and win.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
09/28/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Ruphles
Anyway, even if Arthas won, HOW IN THE HELL THAT UPPERCUT DIDN'T CUT ILLIDAN IN A HALF?!

Arthas did win. They explained that they wanted to have a full cinematic like the other ones in the game but ran out of time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
09/28/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Tevinter
Anyway, even if Arthas won, HOW IN THE HELL THAT UPPERCUT DIDN'T CUT ILLIDAN IN A HALF?!

Arthas did win. They explained that they wanted to have a full cinematic like the other ones in the game but ran out of time.

Which is a shame, because that anime-style battle is kind of lame. XD
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I don't think that was it, considering he had time to mock illidan after the fight. I think it was more that he wanted illidan to live with the shame of his defeat.

(semantics!)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Arthas mocked Illidan before they fought, but didn't say a word afterwards (in either the game or novel). He spared Illidan only a brief glance before he turned towards the throne chamber and started walking.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
09/29/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Egrem
Arthas mocked Illidan before they fought, but didn't say a word afterwards (in either the game or novel). He spared Illidan only a brief glance before he turned towards the throne chamber and started walking.
I just rewatched it, and it would appear you are correct. My bad!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Furthermore, Arthas is far better with his weapon than Illidan. Illidan spent ten thousand years in prison, doing nothing (sure, he remained fit, but I highly doubt that he was at the top of his shape) while Arthas was extremely fit and an expert warrior. It only took a single mistake from Illidan for Arthas to immediately take the upper hand and win.

Illidan was far better with is weapons than Arthas. Again, in the novel, Illidan had Arthas spanked. A sentient urging from Frostmourn while Illidan was delivering the fatal blow is the only reason Arthas won.

It's not "Arthas" who beat Illidan. It's Frostmourn who did.
Reply Quote
63 Worgen Rogue
Illidan was far better with is weapons than Arthas. Again, in the novel, Illidan had Arthas spanked. A sentient urging from Frostmourn while Illidan was delivering the fatal blow is the only reason Arthas won.

Exactly...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
09/29/2012 08:52 PMPosted by Ferlion
Furthermore, Arthas is far better with his weapon than Illidan. Illidan spent ten thousand years in prison, doing nothing (sure, he remained fit, but I highly doubt that he was at the top of his shape) while Arthas was extremely fit and an expert warrior. It only took a single mistake from Illidan for Arthas to immediately take the upper hand and win.

Well, I haven't read the book, only beat the game, and in my memories, Arthas didn't seem to be outmatched at all. But if they changed it in the book, then my bad.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In the game, the fight was decided entirely by melee combat. Arthas charged Illidan, who blocked and pushed him back. They traded a few blows, then Illidan jumped back into the air. Arthas charged forward and swung up, slicing Illidan across the chest (and knocking him out) as he was coming back down.

In the novel, the fight was longer and Illidan talked a lot more. It began the same way (with Illidan pushing Arthas back, followed by an exchange of blows), although Illidan had his warglaives together. When he jumped up into the air, he split them apart and taunted Arthas some more. When Illidan descended, Arthas made the same upward slash (slicing Illidan across the torso), but in this version it didn't take him out: instead he flew up and assumed his demon form. He blasted Arthas with fel fire (bringing him to his knees), then came back down to finish him off. As Illidan lifted his blades for a killing blow, Frostmourne urged Arthas to keep fighting and he thrust it up into Illidan's chest.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Even with Frostmourne's assistance, I just never saw Arthas beating Illidan. He's not on the same level. Arthas had all of what? Twenty years to perfect his combat with a hammer, maybe a couple of years with a sword and Illidan is one of the finest swordsmen for the last tens of thousands of years? Mingle that with his prowess as a spellcaster, the Skull of Gul'dan and everything else, and Arthas with his magic sword just isn't on Illidan's level.

It's like if you played WC3 again and in the final stage when Thrall blasts Archimonde with lightning, if it toppled him over and the game ended. You'd be all like "wat?", even while the Thrall supporters lined up to point out how tough and awesome Thrall was.

At a certain point, winning a fight despite gross and obvious power discrepancy just gets cartoonish.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Actually, when Arthas and Illidan first meet in the Night Elven campaign, it's readily established that the pair of them ARE equal - Illidan himself comments that their first battle could go on forever.

Arthas vs. Illidan was draw, and there Arthas wasn't even there to kill him - only deliver a message. In a fight where Arthas is actively trying to put Illidan down, well... how that ended is exactly what one would logically expect. The real shock is that Illidan walked away, not that he lost.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]