Monk Healing Progression = Terrible

66 Worgen Hunter
Dun get me wrong, overall I am loving my Mistweaver thus far. However, here is my big issue. From 1-30 we essentially have 1 real healing spell, Soothing Mists. Then between 30-45ish, we get Surging Mist, Enveloping Mist, Chi Wave or Chi Blast, Renewing Mist, Spinning Crane Kick, and some other utility heals...

Why are all of our heals so clumped up? This makes 1-30 incredibly boring for Mistweavers. I would love it if Blizzard considered better spacing out our heals.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Dun get me wrong, overall I am loving my Mistweaver thus far. However, here is my big issue. From 1-30 we essentially have 1 real healing spell, Soothing Mists. Then between 30-45ish, we get Surging Mist, Enveloping Mist, Chi Wave or Chi Blast, Renewing Mist, Spinning Crane Kick, and some other utility heals...

Why are all of our heals so clumped up? This makes 1-30 incredibly boring for Mistweavers. I would love it if Blizzard considered better spacing out our heals.

Agreed on this. It's certainly doable, especially since I figured out you can spam click Soothing Mists to repeatedly trigger its initially healing tick to pump out more healing when needed.

I kind of feel like they expected Eminence to have more of an impact on healing early on, but the healing from Eminence is pretty low without Teachings of the Monastery and Jade Serpent Statue. It feels like they intended for Eminence healing to be what we did to dump our Chi and to mix in with Soothing Mists, but honestly you could take Eminence away at low levels and I wouldn't really notice. The healing is paltry at best.

So basically I just DPS unless damage is high and I have to spam click Soothing Mists. Feels like I'm kind of cheesing the mechanics.

Edit: As much as I love Celerity and Momentum at low levels, I almost think they should have switched the tier 1 and tier 2 talents.
Edited by Emerin on 9/26/2012 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Do you really need more heals at that level? Think about it. Think about what you actually do in low level dungeons? Would you say you spend more time dancing around or casting/hotting? Really.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
09/26/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Glorÿ
Do you really need more heals at that level? Think about it. Think about what you actually do in low level dungeons? Would you say you spend more time dancing around or casting/hotting? Really.

Well, a lot of people running things like Stockades tend to sprint through and grab as many things as they can because they are used to healers that can handle that. Soothing Mists is our version of Heal or Holy Light or Healing Wave. It's the efficient, weak heal, so we can heal forever with it, but if people start taking spikes of damage, we're pretty much useless at that level.

By 15, dungeon queue level, the other healers will have at least 2 healing spells, with different outputs. Just would have been nice to get say Surging Mist before 15.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Are monks worse than pallies and shammies for leveling as a healer (through dungeons, of course)? The last healer I leveled up was a shammies and I remember feeling a bit bored by the lack of healing spells while leveling up.
Reply Quote
66 Worgen Hunter

The issue is not whether or not more heals are needed, it's about the first 30 levels of a Mistweaver being plain and simple bare-bones boring. Spamming one button for so long, 2 if you weave in Blackout Kick, is not fun. There is no real reason Mistweaver heals should be spaced out the way they are. Going from a single heal to 6+ heals over the course of 10 levels is a bit silly.

09/27/2012 12:36 AMPosted by Amayn
Are monks worse than pallies and shammies for leveling as a healer (through dungeons, of course)? The last healer I leveled up was a shammies and I remember feeling a bit bored by the lack of healing spells while leveling up.

Monk healing is definitely boring for the first 30 levels, but they are still quite effective. Soothing Mists is a very strong heal on its own. I did start to have a bit of trouble though right around Gnomergan / Scarlet Halls depending on how over-enthusiastic the tank pulls were. It would certainly be nice to have a second button to press other than Blackout Kick during the early levels.
Edited by Muquan on 9/27/2012 8:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk

At least a few levels sooner would have been super awesome because the courtyard in Scarlet Monastery with the water fountain, and all those casters and stunners, was quite the !@#$% and wipefest without ANY other healing tools. Would Surging at 25-28 been so hard for them to do instead of 32?
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
The issue is not whether or not more heals are needed, it's about the first 30 levels of a Mistweaver being plain and simple bare-bones boring. Spamming one button for so long, 2 if you weave in Blackout Kick, is not fun. There is no real reason Mistweaver heals should be spaced out the way they are. Going from a single heal to 6+ heals over the course of 10 levels is a bit silly.

Even better look at it as one heal for 20 levels, and getting 3 more in only four levels. And then not another one for eight levels after that or so. Went from having zero "oh !@#$" to having an aoe/hot (talent), a flash, and a greater heal hot thingy in FOUR LEVELS. Like, sunndenly! Toolkit.

Renewing is FANTASTIMAZING by the way, when you get it. Between that, eminence, and my lvl 30 talent I almost never have to break out a proper heal on trash at all. It is so sad that it took that long to start being awesome. Cannot wait for spinning crane kick next level :x
Reply Quote
Yeah but low level healing is so stupid anyway who cares if you only have one healing spell. you would only be using one spell anyway because that is all you would need.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk

Because it makes the learning curve better, and because it makes fights much more interactive.

And it's just more fun. ;P
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

At least a few levels sooner would have been super awesome because the courtyard in Scarlet Monastery with the water fountain, and all those casters and stunners, was quite the !@#$% and wipefest without ANY other healing tools. Would Surging at 25-28 been so hard for them to do instead of 32?

This is not a healer issue. This is a "tank & dps need to take responsibility for making this pull survivable" issue.

Don't *ever* accept responsibility for a wipe in this location if the tank isn't LoS-pulling and the tank & dps aren't interrupting/CC'ing.
Edited by Meditation on 9/27/2012 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/27/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Meditation
This is not a healer issue.

Going 1-32 with a single healing spell then getting four over the course of 8 levels is bad class design.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
09/27/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Anarri
This is not a healer issue.

Going 1-32 with a single healing spell then getting four over the course of 8 levels is bad class design.

I also maintain that we don't have one healing spell. lvl 1 - 28 (when you get Expel Harm - it *is* a healing tool), we are to be practicing becoming proficient with melee positioning and melee-buff maintenance (so... Jab/TP/BoK practice), as well as with making decisions as to when to stop melee-healing and channel SoM. Some people won't have any difficulty with these concepts, and that's great - but they are not instinctive to everyone, and they are best-learned when a Mistweaver doesn't *have* numbers of other tools to complicate the issue.

... having thrown that paragraph in, though, I agree that it still feels boring ;)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I kind of agree. I felt very limited until about 30 then became somewhat overwhelmed by 40, and I've been healing on every other class at max level for years.

The 40s progression seemed a bit better (I am approaching 50 now), but there were so many changes in the 30s that I had to almost completely change what I was doing even 2-3 prior before to remain effective, which seems like a bad idea to do to rookies (and their group).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
09/27/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Meditation

This is not a healer issue. This is a "tank & dps need to take responsibility for making this pull survivable" issue.

Don't *ever* accept responsibility for a wipe in this location if the tank isn't LoS-pulling and the tank & dps aren't interrupting/CC'ing.

I think that's kind of a silly statement. "Tanks and DPS need to be aware that they have a bad healing class in their party and not pull like they have a Pally/Priest/Shammy/Druid!" They all get a flash heal type spell before 15, along with some kind of secondary heal (PW:S, Rejuv, Holy Shock/WoG, Riptide).

Like I said before, I think they intended for Eminence to be our second healing mechanic at this level, but it's just sooooo weak until you get Teachings of the Monastery at the very least. Even that might not make up the difference. I just think they should have given us either Surging Mist or Renewing Mist at a lower level, like 18 or something. It wouldn't hurt anything, but it might help these situations and might help give some time to learn our new tools instead of getting them all dumped on us at once.
Reply Quote
Having more healing spells don't make the fights any more interactive or help the learning curve at lower levels.

Seriously even when you get into the 40s with a fair bit of healing spells, you still only use one single spell to get all of your healing done. The rest is just uneccesary because of how much of a joke healing low level stuff is. You don't learn anything from that. The problem isn't that monks don't get a lot of healing spells early, it is that the healing spells are unneeded in low level content in any way at all.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

It's not that you really need them. It's just really boring.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Seriously even when you get into the 40s with a fair bit of healing spells, you still only use one single spell to get all of your healing done. The rest is just uneccesary because of how much of a joke healing low level stuff is. You don't learn anything from that. The problem isn't that monks don't get a lot of healing spells early, it is that the healing spells are unneeded in low level content in any way at all.

When the DPS wander a little too close to a pat and pull 5 groups, I like being able to use the majority of my kit to save them. My infant monk did that dungeon after dungeon after dungeon today, because every group was me and four other monks who had no idea what they were doing, for levels 34-38, and it taught me wonders about how monk healing works.

I resent the thought that a functional toolkit is wasted on low level characters, and going from 10 to 30 with nothing but Soothing Mists is still an outrageously stupid design decision, one that no player should be clueless enough to defend.

I seriously can't understand where you're coming from, at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]