Fix Alterac Valley; NPCs too weak

90 Orc Death Knight
01/22/2013 08:34 PMPosted by Ponk
or else simply don't care.

I'm going to go with that one.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What fun. Even Omen has more health than the bosses in AV...
Reply Quote
bynir my buddy i feel like i need to throw my hat into the ring and offer my support for bringing Classic Alterac Valley back! Atleast make it an option in the battleground queue. heck keep the current alterac valley if we have too but make another battleground called Classic Alterac Valley that isnt in the Random BG queue and is totally optional for people to join and have some pvp fun.

I also have played a couple games of classic AV that lasted for hours and i want that experience back!
Edited by Magicevan on 1/28/2013 11:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Got my support.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
bump
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I strongly support the restoration of AV. I started wow during Wrath, and the first time I stepped into Alterac Valley, I said to myself, "Now this is a battleground." I explored a bit, saw the repeatable quests, and wondered what exactly they were for. Very shortly after my initial awe of the battlefield, I realized that players rarely actually battled here. They just did their zerg and ignored everything else. I, as many others, am saddened at the waste of an excellent battleground that only needs its reinforcements removed, npc's buffed, one or two quests tweaked, and a few other touchups. I hope that Blizzard chooses to do more than listen to these requests and takes action in favor of Classic AV.
Reply Quote
63 Dwarf Hunter
i vote against this, tired of grinding gear for my 62 twink i need the grand marshal gear. plz keep av short and easy so i dont have to bore myself to death
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/04/2013 12:26 PMPosted by Gatorhunter
i vote against this, tired of grinding gear for my 62 twink i need the grand marshal gear. plz keep av short and easy so i dont have to bore myself to death

Most of those who are asking for a longer AV would be perfectly fine with there being two versions. The Classic Alterac Valley would be in a separate queue, so that this longer bg will only pop if you specifically queued for it. The current Alterac Valley would still be where it is, and part of the random bg queue.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/04/2013 12:26 PMPosted by Gatorhunter

You have your choice of every other BG for quick, fast games and honor.

Those of us that want a long, in depth, epic battle have NOTHING.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Is anyone finding themselves logging in less now? Aside from raiding, I used to log in to play AV and waste away some time having fun. Now I don't bother logging in except to help a friend level...

Mists of Pandaria is a great expansion but it's the first time Alterac Valley NPCs have been as weak as they are now at the start of an expansion.

Cataclysm bowmen took away 6-10% of health per arrow. Now they take away 1-2%. Generals are dying with 2 marshals or warmasters still alive and that was as soon as people started hitting level 90. Everything is just dying. On top of the reinforcement nerf, it's impossible to see anything special and it just isn't fun any more. People shouldn't be able to solo every mob (especially things like the blacksmiths and battle guards) and the bosses should behave like bosses.

It's really depressing...
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
People need a BG they can play for a while and still have fun. In Vanilla, I had loads of fun in AV. Now, I don't know a single person who can stand the thought of it. Some aspects of the old AV need to come back, such as towers taking more than a single person to destroy. It would be interesting if there could be spawns of strong troops (greater in number/threat depending on resources) that would fight their way through the BG, killing stragglers rather easily. Why should AV be 'who can kill the general faster'? Bring back things like summons, but improve their AI and make them take less time to summon. I have so much hope for AV, but in its current form I don't see why it even exists.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Is anyone finding themselves logging in less now? Aside from raiding, I used to log in to play AV and waste away some time having fun. Now I don't bother logging in except to help a friend level...

Mists of Pandaria is a great expansion but it's the first time Alterac Valley NPCs have been as weak as they are now at the start of an expansion.

Cataclysm bowmen took away 6-10% of health per arrow. Now they take away 1-2%. Generals are dying with 2 marshals or warmasters still alive and that was as soon as people started hitting level 90. Everything is just dying. On top of the reinforcement nerf, it's impossible to see anything special and it just isn't fun any more. People shouldn't be able to solo every mob (especially things like the blacksmiths and battle guards) and the bosses should behave like bosses.

It's really depressing...

Me. I've been playing my paladin strictly PvE this expansion, and overall its been good, but.......I'm getting bored. If my few friends that still play weren't playing, I'd have already cancelled. I'd love to take my characters in PvP like I did for countless hours during the vanilla era, but PvP is so lame these days I just can't have any fun with it. I play Team Fortress 2 on instant respawn 2fort servers when I feel like PvP and it's great, but i'd love to do it in WoW as well.

Old Alterac Valley or a BG designed in a similar way would completely revive my interest in the game. Instantly, I'd grab the longest subscription payment available and would look forward to playing every day. Blizzard just doesn't understand how much people like me enjoyed old AV.

I'm holding out all my hope for that new BG in the works. If it's another 40v40 PvE race or its another 10v10 quick gameshow then I will simply be cancelling my account and not looking back.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thought this would be interesting. A forum search of all the battlegrounds and their acronyms, these are the forum search results:

Alterac Valley: 7,257
Alteric (!) Valley: 138
AV: 46,243

Warsong Gulch: 5,305
WSG: 36,203

Arathi Basin: 6,170
AB: 34,381 (may also share search results with Arcane Barrage)

Eye of the Storm: 4,116
EotS: 10,791

Twin Peaks: 6,907
TP: 5,810

Battle for Gilneas: 5,047
BfG: 1,980

Isle of Conquest: 4,350
IoC: 9,557

Strand of the Ancients: 2,915
SotA: 6,998

Silvershard Mines: 406
SSM: 134

Temple of Kotmogu: 411
ToK: 755

Even taking out a few 'incorrect' searches, I think it's quite evident to see what battleground is the most talked about...
Reply Quote
74 Night Elf Rogue
And for the love of all that is holy reduce the time it takes for Lok'holar the Frost Lord and Ivus the Forest Lord to assault the enemy base. 10 minutes is what an AV game takes to complete, there aren't 10 minutes to stand in the Field of Strife looking pretty!

Grats! You've earned an achievement
Add some achievements for old elements to entice people. Summoning Ivus and Lok'holar should award one, as should upgrading units and summoning other assaults.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
/signed
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Bump, but also a concern...

In the blue post they are thinking of seeing if AV is blacklisted a lot, and that they might not want to change it if it isn't.

Um... That's not a very good way of looking at things. I'd prefer it if someone from dev actually looked in the battles, because AV is not hard honor. People do not blacklist it. They might not have fun, but frankly there are other more painful BGs that will get blacklisted more than AV. That isn't to say people aren't having fun in any and all BGs, at all, but I mean it when I say AV is profoundly meh. I don't dread it (tbh, I 'm not a capture the flag fan, I try to blacklist WSG and TP), but it is't good. I disagree with the idea of trying to shrink it, I mean I think that would make what it is more fun, but I don't like what it is.

I'm annoyed that they look at their ambition and see failure. I apologize, I do get emotional about this, but I played it, numerous times, I liked the sieges. I liked spending hours defending Horde keep, or assaulting THE BRIDGE OF DEATH. IT HAS A NAME. Apologies for the caps, but there is no other feature in any other BG that has that kind of reputation for veterans.

And again, those of you who dislike the PvE elements, you need help. You need serious help. You want quick honor, you want quick conquest, you need to go play arenas and blacklist AV. You won't, because you like something that is the BG equivalent of turning on itunes and FARMING. I would rather AV go back to how it was, and Blizz just create a BG called "The Farm" where people who like this AV go and just literally farm honor, like with plants.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7909591267?page=2#33
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Have just read about the new rare technology they've implemented and can't help but wonder how it'd work in AV.

In case you haven't read about it: when an additional player attacks a rare mob in patch 5.2, it automatically tunes itself to the number of people attacking it. It gains +50% more health per player.

This would be GREAT for AV I think, because if 40 people are attacking the bosses or NPCs they'd gain an additional 1950% health (I think, I suck at math so it's entirely possible I'm wrong on the %!). The captains would go from 19 million health to 380 million - which seems a lot more reasonable!

Another example: the Blacksmiths currently have 3.9 million health. Let's say 10 people are attacking them, that goes up to 17.7 million.

I'm going to send a tweet to GC and ask if it's possible for this technology to be added to the battleground NPCs, because I think it'd go a long way to solving a lot of the problems. We could even make it add a small damage buff per player too. 50% health and +5% more damage / healing per person.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]