Of the Cloth: A Gear Guide [PvE, 5.4]

(Sticky)

90 Human Priest
After reading this post I decided to go ahead and graft the 450 pvp blues. Completely worth it. If you happen to be having mana problems think about replacing a green or two with the pvp gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well thought out, structured. Good job, Elethia.
Sticky Requested.
Reply Quote
09/24/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Elethia
Stalker's Cord of Eternal Autumn

This is leather. Thanks for the nice gear guide.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I will be testing the rest of the secondary stats, but my preliminary preference is this:

Spirit > Mastery > Crit > Haste

Why is Haste so low? Mastery and Crit both provide extra healing at no cost. Haste can increase your healing, but at the cost of spending mana more quickly—which is the last thing you want to do right now. On top of that, Hymn of Hope and Divine Hymn no longer gain additional ticks from Haste. Holy Priests may want to push a bit for the extra ticks from Renew and LW Renew, but I wouldn't recommend it for Disc.

Is this still your preferred preference as far as stats go? I was reading the HowToPriest posting for Holy and it seemed a little different.

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?t=1613#stats

"1. Spirit up to the point you are comfortable with regen
2. Haste to your desired breakpoint
3. Mastery for Echo of Light, provided you are casting spells benefiting from it
4. Crit - Crit for healers is tricky as it is an RNG stat, and as Holy we do not gain as substantive additional throughput that our Discipline brethren do."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Awesome job, stickied!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Stalker's Cord of Eternal Autumn

This is leather. Thanks for the nice gear guide.

Swapped a 4 and a 1. :( I'm not even dyslexic!

Is this still your preferred preference as far as stats go? I was reading the HowToPriest posting for Holy and it seemed a little different.

Nope. They have pretty much the exact same. The only really desirable breakpoint (and the only one I know of) is for the extra tick from Renew/Lightwell Renew. They just have theirs worded in a more clear manner, which is something I'll fix in mine.

The main issue is that the blurb I have is in a temporary location. I need to get the FAQ up.
Edited by Elethia on 10/2/2012 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Is there any point at all to waste JPs on gear? The pvp gear is just as good since it has spirit and mastery on it. I just dont see any reason to ever buy JP gear.
Edited by Tifaniä on 10/2/2012 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It comes down to whether you'd rather spend JP, gold or Spirits of Harmony, but there aren't many pieces of JP that directly interfere with crafted gear. This is a look at the overlap:

Crafted: 8 Spirit items [Head, Shoulder, Chest, Wrist, Gloves, Belt, Pants, Boots]

4 Hit [Shoulder, Wrist, Gloves, Belt]

4 Non-Hit, Non-Spirit [Head, Chest, Pants, Boots]

Reputation: 6 Spirit items [Neck, Cloak, Wrist, Gloves, Legs, Ring]

6 Hit items [Neck, Cloak, Chest, Gloves, Legs, Ring]

2 Non-Hit, Non-Spirit items [Chest, Wrist]

Overlap: 2 Spirit [Wrist, Gloves]

1 Hit [Gloves]

1 Non-Hit, Non-Spirit [Chest]
Edited by Elethia on 10/2/2012 1:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for posting this Elethia, I've made note of it on my guild's forums since I've been getting a lot of gear related questions flying my way as of late and am not much of a fan of askmrrobot.
Edited by Maharei on 10/2/2012 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I will be testing the rest of the secondary stats, but my preliminary preference is this:

Spirit > Mastery > Crit > Haste

Why is Haste so low? Mastery and Crit both provide extra healing at no cost. Haste can increase your healing, but at the cost of spending mana more quickly—which is the last thing you want to do right now. On top of that, Hymn of Hope and Divine Hymn no longer gain additional ticks from Haste. Holy Priests may want to push a bit for the extra ticks from Renew and LW Renew, but I wouldn't recommend it for Disc.

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?t=1613#stats

"1. Spirit up to the point you are comfortable with regen
2. Haste to your desired breakpoint
3. Mastery for Echo of Light, provided you are casting spells benefiting from it
4. Crit - Crit for healers is tricky as it is an RNG stat, and as Holy we do not gain as substantive additional throughput that our Discipline brethren do."

I think it's important to realize, too, that in current gear (heroic blues, etc) it is going to be extremely difficult to hit the Lightspring/Lightwell/Glyphed Renew ticks with Haste, AND have a really nice level of Spirit.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for the guide, I am new to healing and I'll use it. I do have a question though. Why didn't you mention the windwool gear in the crafting section. At level 85 I began to craft a few pieces and I got a blue one. I then outfitted myself with a complete set of windwool blues, the ones that I am wearing now. They have an ILVL of 415 and they seem to work well for me.
As I said I am new to healing and priest so maybe there is something i am missing. The gear I am wearing has been better than the drops I have seen in the few MoP dng I have run. If the stats are not right for priest I think they can be reforged. The mat requirements are very low so making a piece until it procs blue is not that expensive and you can always turn the green ones into enchanting mats.
I never saw cata heroics and I went from level 76 to 85 in the 5 days before MoP so I my gear was a wreck and without this crafted set I would've had to quest my butt off in order to see MoP dungeons. Because of these things I think that the Tailoring windwool gear is worth mentioning in the crafting section of leveling.
Edited by Nipnugdadook on 10/5/2012 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The Windwool gear is "of the ____" and unpredictable. I may mention checking the AH or crafting it, but it will not be listed as a set.

I also think that players should be questing in MoP. There are at least a few pieces of incredibly valuable gear to be obtained through chains.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hey, the Sha of Anger - the World PvP boss, gives good PvE Boots.

Furyheart Treads
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Ah! Yes, I forgot to do that. It's from a quest item he drops.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Elly,

In the world BoE rares section you listed Ritualistic Sickle. That's a sword. ;D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Elly,

In the world BoE rares section you listed Ritualistic Sickle. That's a sword. ;D

So much hate for numbers. I need to figure out what that was supposed to be, if it was supposed to be something else!

Fixed. I was probably crazy!
Edited by Elethia on 10/11/2012 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Ok, looked up and down and can't find your Key Legend for what [S] means. Don't make me come up with my version of what I *think* it means cuz ToU. And it's haaaard to think in the mornings...11am is morning still! =P

Please ID things like that for us dumbs.

Also I got this from Sha's quest Sandals of the Shadow which is the Horde name for what you listed as Furyheart Treads. Minor detail and annoyance that there are different names for the same gear depending on faction.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Ok, looked up and down and can't find your Key Legend for what [S] means. Don't make me come up with my version of what I *think* it means cuz ToU. And it's haaaard to think in the mornings...11am is morning still! =P

Shadow-only, because it has hit which isn't useful for Disc or Holy.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Please ID things like that for us dumbs.

Also I got this from Sha's quest Sandals of the Shadow which is the Horde name for what you listed as Furyheart Treads. Minor detail and annoyance that there are different names for the same gear depending on faction.

I don't think it's the horde version, since it's not the same item. Sandals of the Shadow have hit; Furyheart Treads have Spirit. I have it up now, regardless.

Also, [S] is Shadow, denoting that the item has Hit. :3 Just like [H/D] is Holy/Disc, which is pretty much only used for trinkets with a Spirit proc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Okidokies, thanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]