Bear vs Monk need advice for first real tank

1 Human Priest
So only 2 classes I have never played are Druid and obviously monk. Not rolling both because gearing the same guy out twice is just a waste of time to me. I have very little experience tanking as most of my classes have been healers or DPS. I played a pally tank during Wrath for a bit but ended up going back to Holy/Ret cause Prot was a snoozefest. Tried a Warrior but never made it past 75. Too many buttons to keep up with. Im not paying $15 a month to work. Im paying it to have fun and having to remap my entire keyboard in order to use like 30 keybinds is not fun, thats called work.

I know Monks are new and no one is raiding with them yet but between Bear and Monk which one would be better for someone who hasnt tanked much? I really want to try Monk but I dont want to level him all the way to 90 and then find out I suck and just shelve him next to my DK to collect dust. Also would like to go back and solo old raids like TBC and Wrath stuff so which would be better at that? I know druids get stealth so that would probably make them at least a little better at soloing old raids cause you can skip all the trash. But which has beter defensive cooldowns and self heals needed to stay alive? Also which does better DPS to beat enrage timers. Although when you are 10-20 levels over the content I doubt enrages even matter.

Only problem that sucks with druid is I love picking out cool transmog sets and they are just wasted of Druids, which is lame. I mean why cant I transmog into an Amani Bear? Every other class can look cool except druids, doesnt seem fair. But anyways back to topic. Monk or Druid for someone wanting to try out a new tank thats forgiving and fairly easy to play and also has some great solo power for old stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well, why not try out Monk? I've seen some Monk tanks and they're pretty good. Look cool too.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
09/26/2012 02:17 AMPosted by Shauland
Well, why not try out Monk? I've seen some Monk tanks and they're pretty good. Look cool too.

Also heard lots of abilities and cooldowns to juggle.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
09/25/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Saiina
Too many buttons to keep up with. Im not paying $15 a month to work.

09/26/2012 05:04 AMPosted by Saiina

Maybe you should consider NOT filling one of the most important roles of a team.

It may stress you out.
Reply Quote
89 Human Priest
Too many buttons to keep up with. Im not paying $15 a month to work.

Maybe you should consider NOT filling one of the most important roles of a team.

It may stress you out.

Tanking isnt that hard just like healing isnt that hard. The threat mod is like what 500% now? So as long as you make good use of your cooldowns so you dont die you can randomly mash buttons with any tank class and still hold threat. I havent seen a tank lose threat since the start of 4.1. Also a healer can carry a bad tank anyways. I have had tanks DC and healed rogues through 5 mans. If you dont plan on raiding playing a tank is a joke cause you wont ever die. At least not in a 5 man unless your healer is just horrible.

I was in a casual guild during Wrath. We werent horrible but we did try to clear HMs. We finished 12/12 with 10 HMs which I dont think is terrible for a guild where raids were just first come first serve. Our main tank was a pally and he used 5 total buttons and never once did we have a problem. The number of buttons you mash does not mean you are more skilled.
Edited by Tifaniä on 9/26/2012 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You just stressed ME out.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
i have tanked with dk, druid, pally, warrior. i find the warrior the best followed by druid. dont worry about druid transmorg issue. you are only bear when tanking
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Warlock
09/26/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Hanharr
You just stressed ME out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]