Newbie question 101

39 Human Paladin
I just started playing WOW, and I was just wondering what exactly are pet battles. I got stoked thinking I could actually have a pet like a Hunter, but after reading a little bit on things I am just confused. Anyone out there to help a noob out?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
09/26/2012 07:41 PMPosted by Bhods
I just started playing WOW, and I was just wondering what exactly are pet battles. I got stoked thinking I could actually have a pet like a Hunter, but after reading a little bit on things I am just confused. Anyone out there to help a noob out?

Hey there Bhods. Pet battles is a new system just added to the game. It's basically a huge mini game where you go around the world collecting pets and battling them.

The pets used are known as companion pets, and can be acquired through different methods. They are a separate category from hunter pets in that they aren't used for actual combat.

However it is quite expensive to get the training to start pet battles for new players, currently 100g. If it sounds like something that interests you I would recommend waiting until you are higher level when gold comes more easily.
Edited by Monmonn on 9/26/2012 7:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
There's 2 kinds of pets in this game:

Combat Pets which help you fight your enemies, and are only available as a feature of certain classes (hunters, frost mages, warlocks, unholy death knights).

And vanity pets, which until recently did absolutely nothing but follow you around looking cute.
These vanity pets can now be used to wear out critters in the wild so that you can capture them and add them to your vanity pet collection. Also you can use these vanity pets in a battle against another player's vanity pets. If you've ever played Pokemon, this should sound REALLY familiar. That is the new Pet Battle system.
Edited by Avanna on 9/26/2012 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's a few pet's that don't work though for obvious reasons, such as balloons and your guild herald.

It would be totally epic if my darkmoon balloon could shoot lazers out of its eye thingy though.
Reply Quote
39 Human Paladin
Awesome, thanks for the help folks. I am trying the demo out right now and I love it. Which brings me to my next question if anyone wants to answer this one as well for me. How many hours do you actuallay have to put into this game to reach lvl 90 and get into a good guild and what not? I recently got married, go to school full time, and work 40 hours a week. To say the least I will be a casual gamer in WOW, and wanted to know if playing 4-5 days a week for maybe two hours per day would make it worth it paying the monthly fee. Suggestions?
Edited by Bhods on 9/27/2012 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
78 Orc Hunter
09/27/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Bhods
wanted to know if playing 4-5 days a week for maybe two hours per day would make it worth it paying the monthly fee. Suggestions?

What other entertainment do you have that's cheaper than $15 for 30-40 hours a month?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
You have about 2 years to get to 90 before the level cap is raised again. Even on a sporadic and limited schedule most players can get multiple characters to 90 in that time.

But don't worry about rushing through, just take it at your own pace and enjoy the lore & scenery as you go.

Also FYI: The vast majority of WoW players are older than 20, have a job and/or school and a family to support, as such they have about the same number of hours to play as you do. Don't buy into the "all players are teens or mama's basement dwellers" image.
Reply Quote
20 Dwarf Hunter
I attempted to use "Bear" my battle pet to get a new pet. A slow blinking gold/blue shield appears over the head of some animals when I'm battling them. and it seems to indicate that I can make that animal (usually bobcat but sometimes coyote) into a 'new battle pet'.

The closest I came with Knarla was when the screen said I already had "Enough" pets.

The same slow blink blue/gold shield also appears with a priest character in the same realm, and the priest has a spell for taming animals but I can't make it work. It says "See trainer" in the spell title, but the trainer only answers questions about changing glyphs and such?
The spell itself is 'colored' so supposedly 'active at level 18.

So first, is there ANYWHERE within Wow where there's a explanation of these kinds of things?
And what am I supposed to do with the damned blue/gold shield symbols?

And as long as I'm asking is there some way to rename "Bear"?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Knarla, instead of hijacking someone else's thread it's best if you make your own to ask questions. I think you're confusing hunter combat pets for the new vanity pet battle system. It'd be easier to elaborate in your own thread so as to not jumble information here :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Knarla, read my first post in this thread, it may help you clear up some of your confusion.
Reply Quote
20 Dwarf Hunter
It does say Newbie 101 despite being about vanity pets, so I don't think I was out of line asking about battle pets.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/28/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Knarla
It does say Newbie 101 despite being about vanity pets, so I don't think I was out of line asking about battle pets.

It's not that you were off topic (because you weren't, actually) it's that you are asking your own question in someone else's thread. The OP of this thread had a question he needed answered so he made a thread. You have your own question, so you make your own thread.

It's easier to answer questions from one player, who's having one set of issues than it is to field 2 different sets of questions from 2 different people, each having their own problems and misconceptions. Things get all sorts of twisted when that happens, answers to one player gets read and acted on by the other, when that advice wasn't correct for him, etc.

Different player + different question = new thread ALWAYS

Make your own thread with your question and we'll help you untangle your battle pet = vanity pet = combat pet confusions.
Edited by Avanna on 9/28/2012 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]