Ancient Pandaren Mining Pick

90 Human Paladin
To start off with I think the idea of rare spawn items located in the world are fantastic for players who enjoy collecting various things, and for the odd player to stumble across with surprise delight.

I do not think that a rare spawning item should have such an amazing ability attached to it (for those who don't know, this pick allows you to mine gems when mining nodes in Pandaria).

An alternative way to gain this ability should be available IMO, this is not a vanity item or a collectable, this is a major ability that was provided in previous expansions.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
You're not missing much. I've found all of 1 gem out of at least 100 nodes. It's either bugged or the drop chance is insanely low, even with the pick.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
I am now more than 300 nodes mined with this and I have yet to receive a single gem. At this point, I would say that farming the pick is an absolute waste of time if you are hoping to use it as intended. I have actually heard of people mining a gem or two while not having this in their possession. In my opinion, this is just a joke item like the Trinket of Treasure Finding that was introduced with Burning Crusade.
Edited by Chak on 9/29/2012 3:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I regret spending 4 days camping this item. Just this morning, I've mined 605 ore and received a single gem. Since I got the mining pick, I've gotten a total of 3 gems and I've mined a ton of ore.
Edited by Alisu on 10/1/2012 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I got 4 gems in the first 10 nodes after I got the pick. 2 Pandaren Garnet and 2 Primordial Rubies...Hundred or so nodes alter I haven't gotten a single one. Something is definitely wrong with the pick.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
At least you guys received the pick, I looted it when it popped for me and never received it.
and 5+ days wait time on a ticket is Bull.!@#$.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
There's nothing wrong with the pick.

It's just a very low drop chance. And for good reason. If the chance was higher, then everyone would feel like they NEED the pick, and that would be a disaster.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
both myself and my husband have the pick and neither of us have seen a single gem drop out of hundreds of nodes mined.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I love the idea of the pick and it lends itself to the exploration Blizzard wanted for Mists. Considering the gem drop rate was always horrible imo, and the fact people are still barely seeing drops with the pick, I think it will be more of a vanity item then a benefit over the course of the expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Has anyone tested whether or not having it equipped does anything to the gem rate?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
10/15/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Deffknight
Has anyone tested whether or not having it equipped does anything to the gem rate?

How can you really "test" this? If it is a RNG, you'd need to literally mine thousands of nodes with and without to do any kind of accurate comparison.
Edited by Artemyss on 10/15/2012 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Blizzard disagrees, which is why they put it in on purpose.

Its like the fishing item, which allows catching more fish.

Perhaps it works just like the fishing one:

Since my miner/herber has never got ANY gems, while mining lots of nodes in pandaria, 20 percent more chance to get gems would be a 20 percent more chance THAN ZERO (if it works roughly like the fishing one, which is a 20 percent more chance to get 2 fish instead of one.)
Edited by Kybeorie on 10/15/2012 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Except the fishing pole only works in pools, and if you're at max fishing you're better off fishing in open water.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Which makes me hate the guild achievements with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. =(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
what they need to do is make gems available from Nodes without the pick and the pick should have a rare chance to give out extra
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I've been mining alot recently, with the pick equipped, and in 32 stacks of ore, I have got 2 green quality and 3 blue quality gems.

Not a big enough sample size though, will try to crunch more ore out later.

PS. I'm not counting nodes, just stacks of ore. I'd lose count of nodes, unless there is a tracker for that.
Edited by Deffknight on 10/17/2012 10:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
you guys need to stop crying over an item in the game you guys are a joke go play hello kitty if you wanna cry over stuff
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I'm wondering if the Ancient Pandaren Pick is worth stopping by the quarry during the Cloud Serpent daily ritual. If the drop chance of gems were to increase with Trillium Veins, there'd be a BIT of incentive to acquire this useless pick.
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Aravantos
I'm wondering if the Ancient Pandaren Pick is worth stopping by the quarry during the Cloud Serpent daily ritual. If the drop chance of gems were to increase with Trillium Veins, there'd be a BIT of incentive to acquire this useless pick.

That's how I got mine. I noticed I didn't have the Emperor's Omen FP on this character, so I fiigured I'd hit the mine while I was there, and the pick just happened to be there. I haven't done any mining on my lock since, but it's nice to have it just in case. Plus I got a couple cheesemint points out of it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
The pick along with Forager's Gloves makes for a great combo. The drop rate isn't that good, and you will usually get green quality gems, but it is nice ever once in awhile to get a blue :D

By the way, I've mined alot with it equipped, although it says you don't need it equipped for it to work, and in some 350-400 stacks of ore, I've probably got a whooping total of 25ish gems? Green quality comprising of 3/4ths of those.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]