95 Gold Battle Pet Training LEVEL 5

90 Night Elf Druid
Seems this point was missed. The price is high for new players for a very basic reason.

How will a lvl 5 progress through the pet battle "system"? If they want better pets than just rats or rabbits, they will need to travel to higher level zones.

Its one way to deter a new player from being frustrated IMMEDIATELY if they can buy pet battles right away.

If you are insta-gibbed by mobs when trying to reach the next Battle Master , why would you continue to play?

Blizzard made it perfectly clear what players were expected to start with the pet battle system, and its even posted by the Blue post in this thread.
Reply Quote
22 Worgen Priest
09/28/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Zackyd
good post

I have to say that your post has great points, how would a fresh player know some of them? Cause lets be honest here, how many of us when we were fresh, tried to use crafting profs to make money cause thats what we thought was where the money was at? I know, I did.

edit: to nathineal, while you have made 30 from crafting, you also know about how much you make just from leveling/quests. When a fresh player were to see the price, they probly would think that price was designed around the level requirment, meaning they should of had the 95g by the time they got there. Not knowing the price was intended as a point of entry to restrict it to higher level players to keep them busy while they wait to get in a bg/dungeon/raid.

While I can agree with you on that in some prospective, I remember my first time playing this game. I used the Dual-Spec cost as an example in my earlier post because I remember hitting level 40 for the first time, my Gold at that time was poor. I didn't know how to make it, I just did quests to get an understanding of the game. Once I hit 40 I wanted to get a dual-spec. The cost was 1K and I looked at my wallet and thought. Oh... Well... Looks like I need to start building up a currency.

I asked around in trade chat (Which depending on the server you are on... Be very careful in trade chat hehe) learned over time how to make gold so I set out with a gathering profession and a crafting one. It took some time, learning curves but I managed.

My concern with the OP of this is: WAAAH This game is too hard. MAKE IT EASIER!

Not saying that the OP said that. It is just coming out like that to me. This game really isn't that hard to play. The other players for the most part are helpful. I remember the first person I met in WoW. I was a lonely Orc hunter and he came up to me, helped me with a quest, invited me into his guild and we became fast friends.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Seems this point was missed. The price is high for new players for a very basic reason.

How will a lvl 5 progress through the pet battle "system"? If they want better pets than just rats or rabbits, they will need to travel to higher level zones.

Its one way to deter a new player from being frustrated IMMEDIATELY if they can buy pet battles right away.

If you are insta-gibbed by mobs when trying to reach the next Battle Master , why would you continue to play?

Blizzard made it perfectly clear what players were expected to start with the pet battle system, and its even posted by the Blue post in this thread.

Well I played pet battles pretty much all day yesterday for fun and i'm still in level 1-20 zones
so it actually gives newer players an incentive to level.

not to mention theres the pvp portion
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Apparently Blizzard feels there's enough for new players to do in game without adding pet battles. It is possible for new players to become overwhelmed by having too many options for things to do while not knowing what's useful in progressing their character and what's "for fun."

Pet battles were added specifically for the "done it all" players who need something to do between their weekly raids, or to break up the tedium of leveling up their 1000th character.
Edited by Naraku on 9/28/2012 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So anyone remember when you had to buy an arena charter anytime you created a new arena team?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Apparently Blizzard feels there's enough for new players to do in game without adding pet battles. It is possible for new players to become overwhelmed by having too many options for things to do while not knowing what's useful in progressing their character and what's "for fun."

Pet battles were added specifically for the "done it all" players who need something to do between their weekly raids, or to break up the tedium of leveling up their 1000th character.

If someone doesn't understand how to level on world of warcraft there's a problem with the person, not the game.
Reply Quote
57 Tauren Priest

but wouldn't make sense to organically level your pets while you level your self?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
This thread summed up:

- Knee jerk responses without having read the OP's full statement
- Comments about level 80+ easy gold making
- Recommendations for the OP to start "grinding, farming" to make gold

and totally ignore the point about new players being locked out of pet games while leveling.

Arguments presented:

- Don't need pet battle to play the game (even tho its advertised as a feature of the game for new players)
- Taunts that instead of pokemoning you should be leveling
- Cost is there on purpose so that new players don t "waste their time" playing pokemon instead of leveling (paraphrased blue response)
- Fun side game is not part of progression so why are you complaining (paraphrase again)

I love how now you can be told HOW to play a game both by the community and the devs. Used to be a time when the game was open for people to play as they wished.

None of those are the blunt of the statement being conveyed, which is "If you want it, earn it." Also, "Those prices weren't outrageous when gold was rare, and the price isn't outrageous now." (Referring to old mount training and costs at low levels)

That's it.
Edited by Buckybadger on 9/28/2012 9:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

but wouldn't make sense to organically level your pets while you level your self?

If Blizzard designed Pet Battles that way, certainly.

But whats been confirmed several times by Blues, Pet battles were not designed with a new player in mind.
Reply Quote
57 Tauren Priest

But whats been confirmed several times by Blues, Pet battles were not designed with a new player in mind.

but the way the critters scale is similar to how your player scales. :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

but the way the critters scale is similar to how your player scales. :P

Pets only go to lvl-25 i believe. I think I could lvl any pet to 25 alot quicker than my toon to 90. But that's assuming what I've seen only going to lvl 7 for about 10 of my pets in about an hours time, and highest zone I went to was Duskwood.

The battle pet level on wild pets in the Jade forest are only 24.

I don't see their lvling xp growing to such a huge exponential amount from 7-25.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Some people to new to the game have a play style in which they like to have well-rounded characters. Instead of racing to end level and then going back to the stater zones and working on professions, the well-rounded people want to level professions and pets as they level. Pets also encourage people to go out in the world, instead of sitting in a capitol city between 15-90, and leveling up via LFG.

I would love for Blizzard to lower the gold price for battle pet training. If battle pets are what makes someone new to the game immersed in the game, then let them have it. If there's a part of the game that's entertaining and really draws you in, then you should be able to focus on that part.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
They CAN have it, as soon as they pay for it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Go skin some boars outside of SW and sell the leather for 40g+ or go mine. People are lazy when it comes to farming mats. Best way to make some quick gold on a new server or first character.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Shaman
Because the older players don't get all this new spiffy shiny crap, like 0-80 in a flash upon logging in. We've been here for the long haul and very rarely are we acknowledged or even appreciated. It's nice to see something that is targeted directly at us. So you can't jack around with the pet MINI-game for now, so what. Go level and explore the content, learn the lore and the stories. This is an extremely lore/story rich game. There are tons of things for you to do other than jack with some little mini-game. You have 2 primary professions, and 3 secondary professions. Not to mention 90 levels worth of questing and story to learn. Quit picking one little thing to complain about.
Reply Quote
42 Pandaren Monk
Im new and I have had tons of fun, something 100g (with pet) is sooo not expensive in a game where ppl try to charge more than that for a pair of boots for a lowbie with2g to thier name.
Why this is even a issue is strange. Have fun with it and play, If you dont have money, try selling your stuff you make or farm. I hear too many saying they are broke but they in reality are lazy.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
I have to agree with those wondering why there is a "high" entry cost. I understand that Blizzard wants people to learn the basics of "WoW" before learning "PokeWoW", but it still seems a little strange that the player doesn't get to choose. I also understand that gold is fairly easy to come by even for low level characters - so you guys can stop whining that it's hard. About a year ago I made an alliance character on a different server (See: No support), and had over 100g within a few hours of playing. Even still, why the delay? If you put the trainer only in capital cities, it's likely going to take a new player a while to find that particular trainer unless they're specifically looking for it.

I'd hate for someone, who was on the fence about buying WoW, to see the pet battles in a preview and really want to play it then not be able to play when he/she buys the game. If they buy the game and get totally enthralled / distracted by pet battles - but are still having fun - what does it matter? Blizz gets its $15/mo. Eventually this player will probably go do "normal" WoW stuff as well.
Reply Quote
8 Undead Warlock
I understand Blizzard's thinking here, and I agree with it 100%.

Specifically, for those that are complaining here, on this forum, you had enough intelligence to come here and complain, so I will assume you have enough intelligence to either figure out how to make 100g easily, or have read enough posts by now to have learned. If you haven't, I will help you out.

I rolled an Undead Warlock. Quested my way out of the starting area in a matter of about 30 minutes. Flew to Undercity, trained mining, and walked around for about 45 minutes and gathered 5 stacks of copper ore.

Put the ore on the AH for 20g a stack (which was about a 5g undercut), and waited 15 minutes for it to sell, and waited to collect my gold. With quest reward gold, plus vendoring useless items, minus my flight to UC and AH fees, I made 97g, 44s, 29c in just under 2 hours, and most of that was waiting on my AH money to arrive. I could have sold the copper in trade and had my gold quicker, but that thought didn't occur to me until after I found myself waiting at the mailbox.

Of course, your server may vary a little, You may have to gather a couple extra stacks of ore to hit the 100g mark. You could also train herbalist and pick flowers while you are mining, and make a little extra as well.

Its not rocket science. If you say "but I wanna play how I want, and I don't want to mine/herb", then you are choosing to not participate in pet battles. If your RP idea of the game interferes with making some quick gold to pay for an optional perk of the game, then that is on you, not Blizz.
Reply Quote
Regardless of how Blizzard intended it, it could have been something cool enough to bring a new player in whether it was their own desire or a gift, etc. Making it a barrier for brand new customers even slightly does take away from that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]