95 Gold Battle Pet Training LEVEL 5

84 Pandaren Shaman
I can see where getting 95 gold for a level 5 would be difficult in of itself. Combine that with being a brand new player to the game, and it's outright frustrating.

I understand your situation, I really do. Back when I was new, I thought 5 gold was allot. I suppose in vanilla for a new player, it was. It lasted me quite awhile.
Being new, you're not totally familiar with the mechanics of the game. Making that kind of money for an older player seems easy, just because of the experience; however, for a new player that is daunting.

As it stands, I don't think the price is going to change. The thing is, you don't have to have pet battle training right away. It's one small part of the game. Go out and enjoy the rest of the game and have fun.
Reply Quote
The cost is there, in part, because pet battles are intended to be a fun mini-game, particularly for players who've been around a while and want some new ways to spend their time while logged in -- it's not a profession. The system isn't really targeted toward new players while they're focused on leveling and character progression.

This is why there is a low level cap, but a buy-in barrier. It allows players with high-level characters and/or lots of alts easy access to the system, while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.

Except my girlfriend is new to the game and one of the reasons she actually wants to play is because of the pokemons. Now obviously I am gonna finance her in game but what about new people who see it and want to play wow because of it.
Reply Quote
56 Human Paladin
while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.

Maybe it just me, but i would think as a new player, a part of the game that is labeled as level 5 but just has a huge price tag would be very distracting, confusing, AND frustration.

POV of a newb:
'How come i don't have enough gold to participate in this content that is my level? Am i doing something wrong? Causing me to somehow not earn as much gold as should? Maybe i should farm boars for 3 weeks so i can participate in something my level. Wait... boars for 3 weeks? I'm done with this game.'

It's not you. That's a good point.
When I first saw a Pet Vendor, I thought, oh, level 5...
maybe I'll try that. Then I saw the price tag and said...huh?

Sometimes Blizzard is too clever for their own good. I think this is a good example.
If someone new AND HAS NO ALTS wants to get into Pet Battles right away at level 5...
WHY NOT?

This was also probably done to mitigate too many Pet Battlers coming in at once.
It's discriminatory and I think it is unfair.

It smacks of an elitist club or something.

..."everyone is invited, everyone with 95 gold that is".

...just my 2 copper pieces there. ;)
Edited by Shanndorn on 9/28/2012 9:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
you have 35+ characters and no 95 gold?.....sounds like you're fault. take up a proffession and comit to a character
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

If you are a new player you can't do this at all!! Completly unfair! My 30+ Toons don't even have 95-gold all together! It's rediculous!

So you really dont have 3g on each character?

You're doing something wrong then.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
First of all, in-game gold is not a US dollar bill, so the "$" you added just makes me think you're a little dull to begin with.

Second off, Blizzard doesn't want the game to become about Pet Battles for NEW players. They want them to learn how to play first before they get distracted in some completely irrelevant and useless (but fun) mini-game.

Third off, if you've been on the forums long enough to "resist complaining before now," you really should have had no problem making 95 gold by now. Or you've been playing only like a month and think that's a long time.

I'm gonna go ahead and choose to believe the latter.
Reply Quote
1 Pandaren Rogue
Can someone tell me whats going on with the realms ??? :(
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
/hug Hsun
It makes me cry to think of how much gold you lost selling those stack to vendors... but, well, probably you even more :)

Let's start up a donation at http://www.indiegogo.com - goal, 95gold! :)

Hope you get it soon Hsun!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
The cost is there, in part, because pet battles are intended to be a fun mini-game, particularly for players who've been around a while and want some new ways to spend their time while logged in -- it's not a profession. The system isn't really targeted toward new players while they're focused on leveling and character progression.

This is why there is a low level cap, but a buy-in barrier. It allows players with high-level characters and/or lots of alts easy access to the system, while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.

So let me get this right, you are restricting new players from something that is
09/27/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
intended to be a fun mini-game

Making it so the new players can't do anything to really break up the grind of leveling thus causing them to actually enjoy the game more....

Must have been the same people that came up with this that also came up with cross relm zones, and a game creation limit in D3...

If you're new to the game, and you honestly find the game too boring or grindy by the time you can naturally accumulate 95g to use on the training, you're seriously playing the wrong game.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk

Maybe it just me, but i would think as a new player, a part of the game that is labeled as level 5 but just has a huge price tag would be very distracting, confusing, AND frustration.

POV of a newb:
'How come i don't have enough gold to participate in this content that is my level? Am i doing something wrong? Causing me to somehow not earn as much gold as should? Maybe i should farm boars for 3 weeks so i can participate in something my level. Wait... boars for 3 weeks? I'm done with this game.'

It's not you. That's a good point.
When I first saw a Pet Vendor, I thought, oh, level 5...
maybe I'll try that. Then I saw the price tag and said...huh?

Sometimes Blizzard is to clever for their own good. I think this is a good example.
If someone new AND HAS NO ALTS wants to get into Pet Battles right away at level 5...
WHY NOT?

This was also probably done to mitigate too many Pet Battlers coming in at once.
It's discriminatory and I think it is unfair.

That might be true if 95 gold were hard to obtain. At this point in the game, ONE stack of Briarthorn can sell for 40g on the AH. It's not that hard, even for a level 5, to earn 95 gold. Will most level 5's have 95 gold at that point? No.

It's there so people with alts can play on their new alts, but brand new players have to focus on learning to play the actual game before they dive into a mini-game.
Edited by Dragonberry on 9/28/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
It's a fine starter price. No need to change it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

POV of a newb:

If people have played any rpg game they should know you have to work to get what you want. Only someone who does not understand the basic's of RP or RPG and not want to learn what that means then they are just ignorant and closed minded lol
Reply Quote
I just can't understand why, in all the time you just spent complaining about not having enough gold or about WOW somehow discriminating against 'poor' players who can't afford a silly little side game, you didn't go complete a few quests or a couple of dungeons to get the money. You are probably the losers in the middle of all the major cities asking for 10G to level your professions.

Get Jobs, Hippies.

Or QQ More. I'm sure Blizzard doesn't have anything better to do than read your literary garbage.
Edited by Pokymctramp on 9/28/2012 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Wait you mean i have to PAY for something and people wont just come and entertain me? Doesn't seem like an elitist club, more of real world.

To the other person talking about it being discriminatory towards new players: In that respect so are raids. Why cant level 5s have level 5 raids? What about battlegrounds? Should we have a 1-4 and and a 5-9 bracket too? Heirlooms aren't fair either so lets make those available to everyone for free right? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm jumping on you but have been reading these forums for an hour or so killing time before I can log in.

**Edit
The previous is the rage part of my post and the following is my actual response to the original issue:

I think that there is just a different way people are reading what the devs say. If you read it one way you can see it in a way where it doesn't make any sense. Everyone talks an has something come out strange sometimes or has trouble communicating what's in their head. 95 gold at level 5 when pulled out of the context of the original idea seems strange but when the big picture is seen, I feel that it is reasonable.
Edited by Moustacheio on 9/28/2012 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Hunter
All you people that say gold is easy, you know the game! I get herbs tons of them, I also fish for money it is no where near enough! Gold isn't easy for a new player. It Isn't!

I know other new players 6-months or less that don't have that kind of money either!

I have been playing for about four months, I like the storyline and collecting pets isn't going to stop me from enjoying the game!

Being told I can't do something fun because I am a new player? That takes a bit of fun out of it. “No! Bad New Player! You can't do this yet!”

It isn't fair to us new people. It would be with a level cap but not with an unfair price cap.

Look at it like this old people, You recommend a friend , but maybe there is some new thing that they have to earn the money on their own, say you like playing with the pets, but now you recommended friend can't join you, even though you wanted to play with them. Why? Because they can't earn the money! (Remember you can't give it to them.)

WoW says it encourages people to play together and older players to get along and play with the newer players, then they make something to drive a wedge between us!

Sorry, I am on the new people side!

You can always ask for help from many people in Trade Chat (some trolls may ridicule you, but thats what the /ignore list is for), gaming friends, guildies, and even websites like wowhead.com. A little research can aid bigtime for gold making.
In general:
Look at whats up on the AH and consider what professions you have. If you have nothing but production professions (alchemy, blacksmithing, engineering, tailor, leatherworking, enchanting, and inscription) without a corrisponding gathering profession (skinning, mining, and herbalism) (enchant often uses tailoring for mats so togeather they ignore this) then you have to get mats from somewhere else which eats up gold to level them up. Always have a production paired with its gathering profession. Many get twin gathering professions to get maximum gold and later drop one for a production profession later.

Stacks of copper ore and other low level mats do sell (just drop the buyout by 5 silver or so below the rest).
Low level green+ gear also sells fairly well (I place them at a buyout of 4-5 times the starting bid rounding up typically). Some sells (much) higher if the gear in question looks good for mogging (had some guy in trade chat offering 3000g for a lv45 plate legs)

Fish can be so-so depending on which ones, but IMO Blackmouths and Firefins sell well, plus you can get bound trunks which have a handful of coins, and a chance to hold leather, bolts of cloth, potions (those may sell, I find the basic healing potion (lv12) sells best and the superior+ do not, but that may be for the twinks), and sometimes green gear. Deviate Fish (and Deviate Delight if you have the recipe, just farm mobs in the Nothern Barrens) for me sell well, often 20+g a stack on the worst days.

Band aids and most cooked food (other then Deviate Delight) don't sell, but the cloth and raw foods can sell extreamely well, I often get 8g for a stack of 20 chunks of boar meat, stringy wolf meat, and small eggs which is easily farmed even by low level players.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Except people forget something here, it seems that newbs usually take on the mentality of "i can't afford this" and after a few seconds worth of thought on it they rush to trade chat and start begging for gold.
Edited by Neversoft on 9/28/2012 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Is there going to be a complaint about every single feature? The answer to that is yes.

Gold should never be a factor or a major point in any forum complaint. Doing the Paladin Charger quest during BC for this char (I was originally blood elf on Mal'Ganis) was nearly impossible to do without buying some of the materials. I didn't have any friends ingame at that point and whatever I couldn't farm costed me over 600 gold; back then gold was not nearly as easy to obtain as it is today.

Stop complaining about the dumbest things.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
While I didn't read most of what is written is this thread, would it be less of a scandal if pet battle trainers were only in the main cities? By the time a new player has reached the city, he is probably around level 10, and suddenly he is seeing vendors selling things for much higher levels and prices. In Orgrimmar, the battle pet trainer is fairly close to the flying trainer, and three quartermasters. All of them with things out of reach by level, reputation, and/or price.

While I see the point of a low level availability for pet battling on alts, a new player also gets the level up popup that says "new feature: pet battles!"

I forget where I was going with these points
Edited by Grinsom on 9/28/2012 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
While I didn't read most of what is written is this thread, would it be less of a scandal if pet battle trainers were only in the main cities? By the time a new player has reached the city, he is probably around level 10, and suddenly he is seeing vendors selling things for much higher levels and prices. In Orgrimmar, the battle pet trainer is fairly close to the flying trainer, and three quartermasters. All of them with things out of reach by level, reputation, and/or price.

While I see the point of a low level availability for pet battling on alts, a new player also gets the level up popup that says "new feature: pet battles!"

I forget where I was going with these points

Excellent post. I couldn't have stated this any better.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]