95 Gold Battle Pet Training LEVEL 5

90 Night Elf Rogue
If you want to keep the cost, increase the level needed to buy it. New and low level players will get confused by this feature. It's already bad enough having people beg you for gold so they can buy some overpriced glyph or green gear.

If you want to make it for low level and new players, then reduce the price. 10+ gold should be enough of a sink for level 5's. I don't see the harm in offering an alternate path to leveling and fun. They still have to quest and explore to get to each new trainer anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
It's like if you were secluded in some village out in the middle of nowhere and were told that it was the year 1302, but you hopped the fence and climbed through the shrubberies to see CARS everywhere, you wouldn't start by asking how much does a Ferarri cost, you would start by asking wtf a car is.
Reply Quote
50 Gnome Warlock
09/27/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Skyfiredraco
And if you say that "new players" aren't going to know how to use the AH then they probably shouldn't be looking into something as complex as the pet battle system before they even know the core mechanics of the game itself.

Pet battles aren't complex. What the devil are you talking about?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Glad to hear that we were able to assist you in any way we can.

I hope my response didn't come off to being rude, as it was never my intention. If you need any pointers or advice please feel free on letting me know. I am not in any ways a veteran compared to most who have been here since Vanilla wow. I know how it feels to start playing this game and like my friend who helped me out learn the ropes, I would love to spread that aid to those who need it.

I hope you enjoy the game :)

I know there was confusion in the post, my fault. I don't have 30 toons what I was trying to say was that I have a level 30+ character in the start of the post... my level 30+ character has 22g, also I didn't know:

#1) it's account wide, so at least the level 30+ might have a chance to make the money by the time she is level 50+ (I had only 10 toons until Pandara, now I have twelve) I am sorry that I didn't write that correctly and it was mistaken as over 30 toons.

#2) That Blizzard made the 95g as a the cap... Which Blizzard was nice enough to explain to me. I appreciate that explanation. :)

#3) Blizzard obviously agrees that 95g is not easy for a new player that doesn't know the ropes, and that is why they made it a 95g cap. I get that I understand and I am fine with the fact that it "Wasn't intended for new players"

#4) I have only been playing for 3 months, also stated, I am a new player.

#5) Thanks to people here on the forum I now know that what I thought was useless herbs and ore actually amounts to something on the auction. I didn't know, I figured because it was such low level stuff it wouldn't be worth anything and no one would want to buy it. I really do appreciate them telling me this. I want to point I have been selling my stacks to a vender for about 1 silver, as I thought that is how it was done.

#6) It's easy to get overwhelmed when I walk into Goldshire and see the pet vender right there where the Toons come to get their first mission. Everything I have been hearing is it was available once you hit level 5, and my 5th levels aren't good enough to have that money. I now understand the reason for it. It has take me 3 months to get 22 gold, I don't know the ropes. I will learn.

#7) I don't know all the ropes, and I really do appreciate all of you that gave me great advice on how to get more money! It really means a lot to me so thank you all! (Oh, I am going to skip the begging though, it's not my style.)

#8) I am not going to comment back on anyone who just comes down on me because they are entitled to there opinions and I have never liked direct confrontation. If they don't understand my reason or have confusion from this post arguing will not make them see my point.

#9) I wanted to say thank you again to all those of you that were helpful! You gave me a lot of good advice which I intend to use!

#10) The point was simple. "95g is too much for a level 5 toon to have without having other toons or guilds to grant it for you." I know the reason behind it. It's not meant for 'new players'. It was confirmed and thank them for the time they took in answering this post.
Edited by Settingsun on 9/28/2012 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I call trolling!!!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
the fact that game devs don't want new players playing pet battles.. off all things.

i am disappointed. let the player decide if he wants to play pet battles.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I remember back in classic, not saying it's the way to go or anything, but on my first toon, I was very very very excited about my 40 mount when they were "ridiculously expensive". Now, I didn't know how to hang onto my cash at the time, so when I hit 40, I had nowhere near the required amount of gold, what was it, 100g? So, I started saving up, and once I hit 52, I finally took a loan from my dad, and bought my mount.

From that experience, I don't see why something has to be affordable the moment you are eligible to acquire it. It wasn't as though I hit 40, went to the mount dude, and was all "I'M THE CORRECT LEVEL, WHY CAN'T I PURCHASE THIS?!" Partly because from about level 20 onward I would stop by the mount vendor every time I was in town and wonder what it would be like to own a mount and partly because I looked at my bags, noticed I only had 20g, and saw it cost 100g. 20<100 so I couldn't buy it.

I was 14 at the time, so it's not like I was an adult reaching reasonable conclusions. If you don't have enough cash, you don't have enough cash. If you want more, figure out ways to earn it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
You would have hated playing a holy priest in Vanilla WoW.

No dual spec, and they charged you quite a bit for the time to switch specs.

Plus I just had no idea what I was doing back then.

Still was able to get my fast mount.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

And one heck of a wicked 'stache sir.

I salute you for it!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
09/28/2012 12:15 PMPosted by Bomdanil
And if you say that "new players" aren't going to know how to use the AH then they probably shouldn't be looking into something as complex as the pet battle system before they even know the core mechanics of the game itself.

I think that was partly the point lol... maybe. Though pet battles can be a LITTLE complex or overwhelming I guess. Given how the system has the strong/weak attributes tied to not just the pet but to their abilities. Not to mention certain abilities that you want to be mindful of (like 2-turn burrowing or flying ones). Not really difficult to know, but I'd honestly say looking at the base definition, basic AH use is not as complex.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

That's what I first thought when I read this thread. Getting just 1k gold was pretty damn long for everyone. I know a lot of people that just didn't even bother because of the amount of effort you needed.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Hunter
Oh my freaking god guys, I scroll through 16 pages of this crap waiting for somebody to hit on the reason the 95g price was implemented, none of you got it, good job. The only reason the price is so high is.... so Free to Play accounts cant afford it because of their gold cap, GG, thats it
Reply Quote
Community Manager
09/28/2012 12:12 PMPosted by Noitora
If you want to keep the cost, increase the level needed to buy it. New and low level players will get confused by this feature. It's already bad enough having people beg you for gold so they can buy some overpriced glyph or green gear.

Increasing the leveling requirement isn't a reasonable solution. If you're a more experienced player and you want to roll a new character, we don't want to keep you locked out of pet battles. Since the system is account-wide, we want you to have the option of participating in pet battles while you level.

We still don't think the same should apply to new players. The gold cost is a clear indication that you need some level of experience with the game and the economy in order to access the feature, even though it's unlocked at level 5. I don't know why this would be more confusing for new players, as I've seen many assert in this thread, than giving them access to a series of random quests that don't enhance their characters, are almost completely separated from character leveling progression, and require a modest number of pets that they may not have.

Reading through the thread, so far I haven't seen any clear indication in anyone's post that they are, in fact, new players who feel limited by being unable to access this feature. Most of what I'm reading comes from more veteran players weighing in on what's right and what's not right for new players.

And to be clear, we don't hold a monopoly on knowing what is or isn't potentially something that may confuse (and perhaps even drive away) a new player. But we do have the advantage of being able to carefully analyze years and years of data which reflects how the average new player approaches the game, the things that trip them up, the things that make them feel like their progression is barred, etc.

What I do know is that a lot of posters in this thread -- even those who claim to be very casual -- take their knowledge of the many core aspects of WoW gameplay for granted. If you look at the way the 1-20 experience has evolved and been streamlined over the years, it should be quite clear that it's a direct reflection of design decisions we've made to try and better ease new players (especially those without MMO experience) into the game, based on a lot of research on our end.

Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that, when we first introduced dual spec, the cost and level requirements were meant as a barrier to entry to ensure leveling characters didn't feel like it's something they should spend their gold on asap. We later drastically reduced the gold and level requirements when we felt more confident about this not being an issue. The same could be true for the cost of pet battles. We'll certainly take player feedback into account -- though, as I mentioned, hearing almost entirely from players not adversely affected by this gold cost, as opposed to new players who are, leaves us with very incomplete actionable intel -- and we'll evaluate whether or not the current cost is necessary.

For those who implied that our change over time on dual spec should've been a learning lesson, keep in mind what we say all the time: we prefer to introduce a new gameplay feature or piece of content with slightly conservative implementations, and then, if necessary, loosen the restrictions or increase accessibility over time. That's held true for everything from raid tuning to Transmogrification restrictions. If we get things wrong and a feature is too accessible or too easy, to the point that it's negatively affecting overall gameplay, it's much meaner of us to then tighten restrictions after the fact.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/28/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Eviloven

I think that was partly the point lol... maybe. Though pet battles can be a LITTLE complex or overwhelming I guess. Given how the system has the strong/weak attributes tied to not just the pet but to their abilities. Not to mention certain abilities that you want to be mindful of (like 2-turn burrowing or flying ones). Not really difficult to know, but I'd honestly say looking at the base definition, basic AH use is not as complex.

The pet battle system gets quite complicated to do good. As a thing to do to pass the time it is easy, to effectively compete against other players though it requires a lot of strategy and knowing the ins and outs of pet types and abilities. This is a whole game within a game and it is not designed to be the sole focus or selling point of the game and the developers do not want players to treat it like such.

For myself personally the system is far more complex and overwhelming than heroic mode raiding(WotLK). I will admit I am horrible at card games and mario.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
09/28/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Zarhym
If we get things wrong and a feature is too accessible or too easy, to the point that it's negatively affecting overall gameplay, it's much meaner of us to then tighten restrictions after the fact.

Sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.
Reply Quote
57 Tauren Priest
09/28/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Eviloven

I read the last blue post, but I would like to point out to you that 5 yr olds could master pokemon. So really its not that complex of a system even though it may seem like it, as well as the gui shows what moves do more/less damage.
Reply Quote
57 Tauren Priest

The pet battle system gets quite complicated to do good. As a thing to do to pass the time it is easy, to effectively compete against other players though it requires a lot of strategy and knowing the ins and outs of pet types and abilities. This is a whole game within a game and it is not designed to be the sole focus or selling point of the game and the developers do not want players to treat it like such.

For myself personally the system is far more complex and overwhelming than heroic mode raiding(WotLK). I will admit I am horrible at card games and mario.

were you any good at pokemon? back when i was 5, i had this thing bascially memorized
"http://pokemondb.net/type" because if you notice a lot of the things are just common sense.
Edited by Zackyd on 9/28/2012 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The gold is high for a new player, but a new player isn't going to have any pets anyway. A new player should focus on learning game mechanics and not wondering how to make 95g for pet battles when there are such things as mounts, gear, and professions that take priority.
Edited by Dendi on 9/28/2012 5:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
IMHO, low level players are starting in low level areas, everyone should start with a Battle pet trainer in their starting area, which gives them a free starter pet, I mean for crying out loud you're leveling in the area where the battle pets are the lowest and easiest to catch

Idk this whole "not targeted to low levels" does not stand right to me.
Edited by Sarym on 9/28/2012 5:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
This is my new main on a new server and new faction. I just came back to the game after taking 2 years off. I've been playing him for less than a month now and I'm only level 59, still questing in Blasted Lands and not yet in Outlands. I have about 500g on this character. I haven't sent any of that to myself, nor am I in a guild that helps me.

My gf, who i play WoW with, also created a new character on a new server and started from scratch with me. She also has about 500g -- and she abhors trying to play the AH or do similar things. Either we are a bizarre exception, or it is very simple to make hundreds of gold within a reasonable time in this game. In which case, you can easily get the training before level 60 (let alone 85 or 90).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]