95 Gold Battle Pet Training LEVEL 5

89 Pandaren Hunter
sell 2 stacks of copper bars. 100g right there. my realm is so broken :<
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The cost is there, in part, because pet battles are intended to be a fun mini-game, particularly for players who've been around a while and want some new ways to spend their time while logged in -- it's not a profession. The system isn't really targeted toward new players while they're focused on leveling and character progression.

This is why there is a low level cap, but a buy-in barrier. It allows players with high-level characters and/or lots of alts easy access to the system, while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The cost is there, in part, because pet battles are intended to be a fun mini-game, particularly for players who've been around a while and want some new ways to spend their time while logged in -- it's not a profession. The system isn't really targeted toward new players while they're focused on leveling and character progression.

This is why there is a low level cap, but a buy-in barrier. It allows players with high-level characters and/or lots of alts easy access to the system, while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.

So let me get this right, you are restricting new players from something that is
09/27/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
intended to be a fun mini-game

Making it so the new players can't do anything to really break up the grind of leveling thus causing them to actually enjoy the game more....

Must have been the same people that came up with this that also came up with cross relm zones, and a game creation limit in D3...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
you are a miner/herbalist...

if you level through ONE zone and put up everything you get in said zone in the AH you should have more than that level of cost... money is stupid easy to get anymore.

And if you say that "new players" aren't going to know how to use the AH then they probably shouldn't be looking into something as complex as the pet battle system before they even know the core mechanics of the game itself.

Just my $0.02
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin

So let me get this right, you are restricting new players from something that is
intended to be a fun mini-game

Making it so the new players can't do anything to really break up the grind of leveling thus causing them to actually enjoy the game more....

Must have been the same people that came up with this that also came up with cross relm zones, and a game creation limit in D3...

Hooray for taking a comment out of context, simply to bash the company/commenter!

You are fail, sir/madam.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As complex as something that's fun and breaks up grinding or farming for cash? I think you are just thinking about the aspect of gold farming, for new players there's no way to run them off faster than to make them have to farm for a few hours to do something fun.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
How about playing the actual game instead of herp derp pet battles
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Hooray for taking a comment out of context, simply to bash the company/commenter!

You are fail, sir/madam.

It's not bashing, it's just a bad idea, why lock away a fun portion of the game and only cater to the older players?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
09/27/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Brehmis
Fine, but if it's available at level 5 and it seems grossly out of reach (which it does to new players who aren't aware of playing the market) then it creates the feeling of inadequacy..

Where some players see something grossly out of reach as something to feel inadequate about, others see it as a challenge to overcome. They do a little research, put in a little effort, learn how to use the auction house (and I don't mean "playing the market", just auctioning the greens they pick up while questing and doing dungeons and the mats they've collected with their gathering professions), and before they know it, that 90 gold isn't so far away after all.
Reply Quote
12 Pandaren Shaman
I can understand the requires Lvl 5 thing no problem, so does fishing.

It's just no one has 95-gold at level 5 it''s impossinble unless you have mega toons to give you the money.

If you are a new player you can't do this at all!! Completly unfair! My 30+ Toons don't even have 95-gold all together! It's rediculous!

I have never complained in the forums before ever, but this is showing sad favortism to people with a lot of high level toons that can afford to give their toons the 95 gold.

How is a new player ever suppossed to come up with that kind of gold?

Come one Blizzard! No other training costs that much initially!

The price is way too high! I am sorry I ran around buying cute little pets now, and there are so many more that i can't buy without the training!

This isn't fair to your new Players Blizz, I have an idea roll up a toon and see how long it takes you to earn 95 gold without getting money from anyone or any other toon! You'll see that this price is rediculous!

You should be focused on leveling anyways. Dude above might not come straight out and say that but I shall. Not worth harping over if you really want it ask your guildies to help you buy it. Or just quest and level until you can afford it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage

You are fail, sir/madam.

It's not bashing, it's just a bad idea, why lock away a fun portion of the game and only cater to the older players?

It isn't to cater to older players. And you act like 95 gold is some big deal, tell you what kid. Pick up mining, go to Elwynn since you're Alliance and spend maybe 20 minutes mining copper. You'll easily make more than enough if your economy isn't crap.

Low levels have easy ways to make money because the pricey things are low level acquirable and only overpriced because nobody wants to redo the content or spend the time farming wool cloth or something similar.

If you were smart and could read what was said, your focus should be character progression so do just that, don't deal with pet battles or even try.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Do some quests and you'll have the gold in no time
Reply Quote
Simply level to, lets say for example, lvl 60. You should have 100g just from quest rewards by then, no problem. Get to max level and you should end up with a few thousand gold.

It's really not hard! Just level a toon to 90 and you will have enough gold to do a lot of the side attractions.
Reply Quote
73 Tauren Shaman
Fine, but if it's available at level 5 and it seems grossly out of reach (which it does to new players who aren't aware of playing the market) then it creates the feeling of inadequacy..

Where some players see something grossly out of reach as something to feel inadequate about, others see it as a challenge to overcome. They do a little research, put in a little effort, learn how to use the auction house (and I don't mean "playing the market", just auctioning the greens they pick up while questing and doing dungeons and the mats they've collected with their gathering professions), and before they know it, that 90 gold isn't so far away after all.

It goes both ways.. Typically you want to cater to the least common denominator, not the hardcore or even average.. What is to be gained by keeping it out of the new casual players hands? They don't have to participate if they don't choose to.

The average new player will see that price and think WTH? You aren't introduced to the auction house until around level 10 or so.. Even then you don't know what sells for what or that the economy is grossly inflated unless you happen to be hanging around on the forums or in trade chat..

The point is it leads to the feeling of exclusion for a minority of people, when allowing them inclusion wouldn't cause any harm.

I do appreciate what you're saying though, part of the whole process is looking up towards people who have achieved what you would like to.. Seeing those sparkly level 90's flying about, daydreaming about the day you conquer Garrosh.. But when it's average everyday merchants in your starting village offering you wares/skills you couldn't afford if you sold every kodo in your fathers herd or your peers at level 5 wearing all BOA items able to do more than you can. It's not the same feeling.
Edited by Brehmis on 9/27/2012 9:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
particularly for players who've been around a while

It isn't to cater to older players.

If your focus was only on character progression then why put it in at all, the focus of a game is to have... And remember GAME!... But the focus of it is simple, FUN! If you have to work to have any fun in a game it stops being fun, this is more so for new players.
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Warrior
If you have to work to have any fun in a game it stops being fun, this is more so for new players.

the whole point of an mmo is that it rewards you for playing. you're a troll. what games are you playing where you immediately have the best of everything on level 1?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.

Maybe it just me, but i would think as a new player, a part of the game that is labeled as level 5 but just has a huge price tag would be very distracting, confusing, AND frustration.

POV of a newb:
'How come i don't have enough gold to participate in this content that is my level? Am i doing something wrong? Causing me to somehow not earn as much gold as should? Maybe i should farm boars for 3 weeks so i can participate in something my level. Wait... boars for 3 weeks? I'm done with this game.'
Edited by Kinform on 9/27/2012 9:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Warrior
09/27/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Kinform
while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.

Maybe it just me, but i would think as a new player, a part of the game that is labeled as level 5 but just has a huge price tag would be very distracting, confusing, AND frustration.

POV of a newb:
'How come i don't have enough gold to participate in this content that is my level? Am i doing something wrong? Causing me to somehow not enough as much gold as should? Maybe i should farm boars for 3 weeks so i can participate in something my level. Wait... boars for 3 weeks? I'm done with this game.'

Maybe blizzard should hire people to hold your hand and look over your shoulder while you play..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't understand, is it a 1 time fee or you have pay every battle?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]