95 Gold Battle Pet Training LEVEL 5

90 Night Elf Priest
What I find bizarre are the suggestions that, because some super new players leveling their first toon might have trouble getting that much gold for a little while, the level cap should be raised so they dont even have the chance of getting the gold and doing the pet battles at 5.

Why should everything be affordable as soon as it is available? Did nobody else find it extremely satisfying saving for and eventually getting, your 40 mount, your epic 60 mount, your flying mount, epic flying mount?

There is nothing to stop a new player from borrowing the gold from whoever introduced them, or if nobody did, do a quick google on ways of making gold... on most servers a few stacks of copper ore will get you your gold.

These 'new players' seem to be suggesting that because they cant afford it at (or even close to) level 5 without doing a tiny bit of looking into how to get gold, the option to work towards it and make an effort to get the gold sooner(or borrow it from a friend) should be taken away from them altogether.

I really don't get it.
Reply Quote
73 Tauren Shaman

Maybe blizzard should hire people to hold your hand and look over your shoulder while you play..

While I think the purpose of your post was primarily to inflame, I believe that you believe the premise of what you're saying.

Don't you think blizzard has been attempting to make the game more accessible recently? Most people seem to, whether or not they think that's a good idea..

Honestly I miss some of the old complexity, but to keep this as it stands seems to go against everything they've been trying to do.. (Open, acessible, Play as you Choose).. He's right, too it is confusing for a new player, especially one who's not a gamer and used to playing along until things just start to make sense.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
The cost is there, in part, because pet battles are intended to be a fun mini-game, particularly for players who've been around a while and want some new ways to spend their time while logged in -- it's not a profession. The system isn't really targeted toward new players while they're focused on leveling and character progression.

This is why there is a low level cap, but a buy-in barrier. It allows players with high-level characters and/or lots of alts easy access to the system, while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.

With is much as you guys have done to strip away any complexity to the "core gameplay" mechanics, is it really a concern about new players getting confused?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
your going to have a hard time if you won't learn something about the game before you start or put in a little bit of farming/auction house.

back in pre burning crusade i had 10g by the time my first character was lvl 10, and by 20 i knew as much or more than the lvl 60s did.
its much easier these days so 100g should be nothing
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Warrior

Maybe blizzard should hire people to hold your hand and look over your shoulder while you play..

While I think the purpose of your post was primarily to inflame, I believe that you believe the premise of what you're saying.

Don't you think blizzard has been attempting to make the game more accessible recently? Most people seem to, whether or not they think that's a good idea..

Honestly I miss some of the old complexity, but to keep this as it stands seems to go against everything they've been trying to do.. (Open, acessible, Play as you Choose).. He's right, too it is confusing for a new player, especially one who's not a gamer and used to playing along until things just start to make sense.

So basically what you're saying is.. give an inch now you have to give a mile?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/27/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Tygrion
These 'new players' seem to be suggesting that because they cant afford it at (or even close to) level 5 without doing a tiny bit of looking into how to get gold, the option to work towards it and make an effort to get the gold sooner(or borrow it from a friend) should be taken away from them altogether.

Because other than playing the AH there is no "looking into how to get gold" at level 5. It would be faster to level to 50+ and get gold. And playing the AH is not something new players can really get into, without already having gold...

I have no problem with 95 gold for pet battles. I have no problem with 1000 gold for pet battles. I have a problem with 95gold at level 5 and the illogical reasoning that "because its less distracting and confusing for new players."

To others: video games are one of the most flexible mediums today. It is not a case of one extreme or other. There can be a happy middle ground.
Edited by Kinform on 9/27/2012 9:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
73 Tauren Shaman
What I find bizarre are the suggestions that, because some super new players leveling their first toon might have trouble getting that much gold for a little while, the level cap should be raised so they dont even have the chance of getting the gold and doing the pet battles at 5.

Why should everything be affordable as soon as it is available? Did nobody else find it extremely satisfying saving for and eventually getting, your 40 mount, your epic 60 mount, your flying mount, epic flying mount?

There is nothing to stop a new player from borrowing the gold from whoever introduced them, or if nobody did, do a quick google on ways of making gold... on most servers a few stacks of copper ore will get you your gold.

I really don't get it.

I actually agree with you for the most part.. I wouldn't mind if it were 2 or even 5 gold.. That's still very inaccessible for a new level 5 getting gold only from NPC's.. I did look forward to saving for my first mount.. But the difference is, it felt achievable, it was something to strive for.. This as it stands is a slap in the face.. It says look you're new so you're excluded.

While I would google it, a lot of people wouldn't.. I know for a fact one of my friends wouldn't. The idea of doing research for a game just doesn't make sense to him.. If you're suggesting Blizzard exclude this type of player, then okay, but I imagine blizzard doesn't really want to do that.
Reply Quote
The cost is there, in part, because pet battles are intended to be a fun mini-game, particularly for players who've been around a while and want some new ways to spend their time while logged in -- it's not a profession. The system isn't really targeted toward new players while they're focused on leveling and character progression.

This is why there is a low level cap, but a buy-in barrier. It allows players with high-level characters and/or lots of alts easy access to the system, while reducing the risk of it being distracting or confusing for people just learning the core gameplay systems/mechanics.

I remember when Dual Spec was introduced at level 40 for 1,000g. Official sources made exactly the same arguments, that it was for "advanced" players, that they were worried about confusing new players. I argued on the forums back then that the level requirement was too high, and the gold cost was much, much too high.

Lo and behold, eventually the cost was reduced to 100g, then the cost was further reduced to 10g and the level requirement to level 30, which is where the restrictions should have been in the first place. Now it's happening again, and I'm afraid it's going to take more months for Blizzard to realize that the OP is right, and it should be more like 5g, or even 1g. I suggest that we skip the meetings and short-circuit the journey of realization and drop the price now.

Zarhy, I gotta disagree with ya, this is the new profession. Like Archaeology, it's not focused on creating items for sale, but it's still a non-combat activity which players can use to advance their characters in ways other than leveling while also generating revenue. In other words, it's a profession. It's a fun profession, but a profession all the same.
Edited by Jamash on 9/27/2012 9:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Fine, but if it's available at level 5 and it seems grossly out of reach (which it does to new players who aren't aware of playing the market) then it creates the feeling of inadequacy..

Where some players see something grossly out of reach as something to feel inadequate about, others see it as a challenge to overcome. They do a little research, put in a little effort, learn how to use the auction house (and I don't mean "playing the market", just auctioning the greens they pick up while questing and doing dungeons and the mats they've collected with their gathering professions), and before they know it, that 90 gold isn't so far away after all.

This. I thought 120k g for the vendor yak would be way overpriced. While my money is currently spread across toons, I am no longer feeling bad about the price.
Edited by Belthin on 9/27/2012 9:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
A lot of people are saying that the reason is so lower level players don't immediately get access to it. That doesn't make any sense. If Blizz wanted people to wait til a higher level, then don't make the training for it available until a higher level. Makes more sense than just implementing a debatably high price.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Because other than playing the AH there is no "looking into how to get gold" at level 5. It would be faster to level to 50 and get gold. And playing the AH is not something new players can really get into, without gold...

Multiple people have already mentioned copper ore as a super easy way to get lots of gold early.

As for what you quoted from me... the act of 'looking into' how to get gold isn't the act of getting gold. It means looking into / finding out about / searching for , ways to get gold... You can look into how to get gold even before you install the game.
Reply Quote
73 Tauren Shaman

So basically what you're saying is.. give an inch now you have to give a mile?

Actually what I'm saying is more along the lines of if you're going to give a mile at great expense, you might as well give an inch at no expense, if that inch is going to matter.

The analogy is somewhat flawed however as it doesn't really illustrate how much blizzard sacrificed both in effort and discontent for the changes they've gone through, nor how much the little things like affordable skills matter to the average new player.

As I've said before it's not going to break the bank either way, but it seems absurd to change so much in the name of accessibility and then leave gaping hinderances for no apparent reason.
Reply Quote
55 Worgen Rogue
Hmm..simple fix, then, since Pet Battles is apparently aimed at "older player" is to up the level cap. Keep or drop the cost cap, whatever. My "main" is, as you can see, a level 37. I quest, I kill random mobs and do some dungeon crawling. I could give a rats !@#$ about raids and pvp. Nothing wrong with them, just not my thing since they all seem to be about who has or can get the best gear. Again, just my opinion.

Still, for pet battles, setting it with a 95 gold cost and a level 5 requirement...meh...kinda stupid. Now, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I started playing WoW when it first came out. I have played off and on over the years. Again, I quest, kill and dungeon crawl. I do a bit of gathering/production, but thats in an effort to make better gear for myself. And while this Kalaban is in a guild, not all of my toons are in guilds, and personally, guilds are looking pretty crappy for the most part these days. My goblin shammy got spammed out of his mind with something like 30 guild invites before he even hit level 2. So, yeah...in my book, I've little use for guilds in general. The one I joined is cool enough...they let me be and let me do my own thing, no whining or raging because I am not running out to play every time someone says a raid just has to be done. Is there commerce between us? Who knows. I don't know any of them well enough yet to be comfortable coming up and asking for a plat or two. Whats the most I've pulled in so far on my own? With selling crap and tossing a few things in the AH, minus cost of repairs, upgrading gear, buying recipes and so on...at level 37, the most I've seen at any one time has been between 40 to 50 GP and I have to work my furry little tail off to get it, so don't come out here saying gold is super easy to get these days.

In a nutshell, bad form Blizz. Raise the level requirement or drop the cost. Make it truly accessible to the players it seems aimed at by the level requirement or make it abundantly clear that it is aimed at "more experienced players". My suggestion is somewhere in the middle. Drop the cost to say 30 to 50 gold. Remember, we are also having to buy a number of these battle pets, so the cost of the skill should be reasonable in comparison. Then, raise the level cap to...lets say 20, like Archaeology. I figure that if you haven't gotten a good handle on how to play the game by then, perhaps you need to find a new hobby.

So, I see both sides of the coin here, and now you have my suggestion on it. Still think its bloody flaming stupid to make something cost that much at such a low level though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Perhaps, instead of complaining that the price is "too high" to allow you to access the minigame, you should put the effort into farming up the money for the reward. It's not a free, inherently accessible system. If you want to get it early, and don't want to level to cap the same way other players do, you have to work a little harder, and I'm sorry that seems so daunting to you.

It seems you really like leveling at low levels. I suggest picking up two gathering professions on each toon, and selling what you collect on the Auction House. You'd be surprised how much money you can make if you just put in a little time! It would be very easy to have 95g at a low level with only a handful of hours of farming low-level herbs and/or ore.
Heck, if you can't stick with one character long enough, do it on a few characters on the same server, stockpile all their gold together, and boom. Pet battling for your whole account (remember, once you purchase it once, your whole account has it forever).

There may as well not even be a level cap on it-- it should be purchasable as soon as you have the money, regardless of what level you are. Ignore the level requirement. The barrier is the gold cost, the level requirement may as well not even be there, especially since it seems to be confusing people.
Edited by Daetur on 9/27/2012 9:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/27/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Stëphanie
I don't understand, is it a 1 time fee or you have pay every battle?

One-time fee per account.

Not per character or per realm, but per account.

And people are finding this somehow expensive.
Reply Quote
55 Worgen Rogue
Endless farming in a quest for gold rather defeats the purpose of the game. Having fun. I personally can't stand farming, hate to do it. Still, if I'm going to do it, its going to be so that I can make the nifty things I want, not so I can buy a skill that apparently did not receive much planning during its concept stages. My views, as stated in my previous post, stand.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
It just gives more incentive to save for what you think is "important", it's an option that is available for players at a very early stage that really shouldn't have much impact on game quality of life. Save for what you want, don't spend on unnecessary things! (Not just good in game, but in life as well.)

Which would be worse: Having it set at a certain level (which for some could take months to reach) or having it set at a certain price (which could still take months for some, but could be borrowed from others)?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
so don't come out here saying gold is super easy to get these days. ...

...Raise the level requirement or drop the cost. Make it truly accessible to the players it seems aimed at by the level requirement ...

..So, I see both sides of the coin here

It IS super easy to get. The mean cost of a stack of copper ore is 21g for alliance and 18g for horde. Dont try to tell me 5 stacks of copper is hard to get. It may require you to do a bit extra, but not a lot.

It already IS truly accessible to the players it is actually aimed at. On top of that it is also available to even new players lvl 5 and over - but that doesn't mean it has to be given to you.

Raising the level cap does nothing but take away ANY chance of getting it from new players.

Really not seeing this 'both sides of the coin' you claimed.
Edited by Tygrion on 9/27/2012 9:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/27/2012 09:45 PMPosted by Kalaban
Endless farming in a quest for gold rather defeats the purpose of the game. Having fun. I personally can't stand farming, hate to do it. Still, if I'm going to do it, its going to be so that I can make the nifty things I want, not so I can buy a skill that apparently did not receive much planning during its concept stages. My views, as stated in my previous post, stand.

This is why I always recommend picking up 2 gathering professions on any toon you're lvleing from scratch, and then just picking up nodes you see as you level, never going out of your way to farm specifically.

I've made hundreds of gold by level 30 easily just by mining and herbing as I quest, with no time dedicated to "I need to go farm for 30 minutes" at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]