Pet Battles without MoP- no quests

85 Goblin Warlock
edit: people asked where blizz said MoP wasn't required, I found the link. here you go: this is on Joystiq but it shows the blue quote saying "It will be available to all players, MoP is not required."

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/07/24/mists-of-pandaria-not-required-for-pet-battles/

I do not have MoP- I trained Pet Battles shortly after midnight (as soon as it was possible to do so). The trainer just had the ability to train- no quests. I didn't know there was apparently supposed to be. I spent several hours happily battling/collecting pets before I decided to go challenge the pet tamer in Elwynn Forest. She wouldn't do anything, so I started asking around- then I found out there's supposed to be quests.

Is it because I don't have Mists of Pandaria that I can't do the quests, and therefore no tamer battles? If so, that's really lame as Pet Battles were advertised to be available to everyone no matter if you had MoP or not. I just paid for 3 more months knowing I wouldn't have Mists, but thought I would have this new mini-game to at least spend some time on.

Any blue help/answers would be much appreciated.

(yes, i've tried ui reload, relogging, etc etc)

To me, it appears to be working as intended. The feature known as 'pet battles' is available without MoP, as you can queue to battle other players pets or seek out pet battles with available critters in the world, but the quests and tamer battles appear to be exclusive to MoP. Still, it would be nice to get a blue post clarifying what is included in the non-MoP version of pet battling.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Doubt it's a glitch. Probably an incentive to buy the xpac. You CAN do pet battles. But don't expect anymore than that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I don't understand why people don't just buy the expac? D:
Reply Quote
97 Draenei Paladin
09/25/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Zephirra

Because we're not interested in it, or we can't buy it right now. I'm the former.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
It sounds like the regular bait-and-switch salestalk. Sure you can use the feature, but in a strictly limited capacity. Same thing happened with Cataclysm launch. They said unupgraded accounts could play the new leveling content. So I started new toons on my unupgraded account. You were able to play the zone to a certain point, then you stopped getting the next quest until you upgraded the account!!

The also don't allow people, like myself, with multiple wow accounts to play pet battles vs. each other. After encouraging people to load separate wow accounts under a single bnet account, they now exclude me from battling my other family members!

I could have the people at billing break out the wow accounts again, but they said to do so would make the new account lose all collected mounts and pets- they stay with the original bnet ID! Catch 22.
Reply Quote
96 Human Paladin

Mine is coming from Amazon but it won't be here until October 3rd. -.-

Hopefully I can play pet battles in the meantime. :D
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Warlock

I usually have enough time to save up, but since the release date wasn't definitive until roughly two months ago.. yeah, no money.

Of course, if $40 is so little to you... *waggles eyebrows and holds out hand*

(I'm kidding about that last bit. I have enough to occupy me since I can at least level pandas in the meantime. :p)
Reply Quote
Here's the link if it wasn't posted already-

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6080181259#9
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
09/25/2012 08:11 AMPosted by Moxacillin
Thanks zoom but seriously where do you go to battle with your pets?

Here's some good info to start:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7339047/Pet_Battles_QA_with_Cory_Stockton-9_24_2012

♥ Aune
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

I don't understand why people don't realize that some of us ordered physical copies that have to be shipped.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Strange that Blizzard would state that pet battles are separate from the expansion as they were advertised pretty hard as being part of MoP. I'd have to see the exact words Blizzard used.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
And it is available to you, they never said anything about the quests :-p.

There you go. Pet battles without MoP? Check.

No quests/some achievements not possible without MoP? Check. Working as intended.

You were promised pet battles and you have pet battles.
Reply Quote
83 Gnome Warlock
I was a little disappointed with how they treated pet battles. with the entry price just to learn from a trainer people with a trial account wouldn't be able to try it out and even for people like me who just re subbed to try out pet battles learning they have to shell out even more real life money to get the full experience. I had no interest in doing another WoW expansion and now i'm required to pay for one for a feature I personally don't consider worth it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
09/25/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Littlefinger
I was a little disappointed with how they treated pet battles. with the entry price just to learn from a trainer people with a trial account wouldn't be able to try it out and even for people like me who just re subbed to try out pet battles learning they have to shell out even more real life money to get the full experience. I had no interest in doing another WoW expansion and now i'm required to pay for one for a feature I personally don't consider worth it.

Then don't buy the xpac. Problem solved.
Reply Quote
89 Tauren Druid
09/25/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Littlefinger

Why would they put all aspects of the pet system out there for everyone to take part in? There has to be something to entice those that only have vanilla to buy the other expansions. In all honesty I think Blizzard has gone out of their way to allow those that don't have the other expansions to feel involved in MoP.
Edited by Splotz on 9/25/2012 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I'm hoping this is just an oversight, since it isn't something that would have cropped up in the beta.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
09/25/2012 07:36 AMPosted by Sardath
Sucks... Pet Battles is or was supposed to be a MoP feature. To have it without MoP is just dumb. Want to Pet Battle? Buy the expansion. That's how it should be.

Did you read the quote from Blizzard over a month ago stating that it is for everyone, not just MoP? This isn't a matter of opinion- but thanks for your input. :)

Except it is a matter of opinion. When someone says, "that's how it should be", they are stating an opinion. Maybe if you paid any attention to what he wrote, or stopped to think about it at all, you'd have reconsidered that post - but thanks for your input.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Apparently its a known bug and not an intended feature

09/25/2012 02:54 AMPosted by Kremda
None of the pet battle quests have shown up for me. I checked on all my toons, along with making sure "Low Level Quest" tracking was activated. None.

09/25/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Sapperwix
We're aware of this issue and are actively working on it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]