Xubuntu for netbook?

I'm not too experienced in linux distros. I need a lightweight distro that will be used for office purposes (no heavy use and especially no games.) Ubuntu works fine, but various graphical effects will stutter because of the weak IGP. Will Xubuntu be noticeably smoother on a netbook?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The XFCE desktop (Xubuntu) is considerably more "lightweight" than the normal (still Gnome?) desktop on Ubuntu. I've never used it on a netbook, but I played with these distros on my old K7 (Athlon XP) system where I needed lightweight. LXDE is even lighter, but I'm not sure how well the Lubuntu distro is maintained now. I ended up loading regular Ubuntu as a CLI server and then installing LXDE or XFCE from the command line package manager ("apt-get" or whatever).

But that's kinda advanced (you'll have a computer you don't know how to use for an hour or so, lol) but I just did that to make it really really lightweight for that ancient CPU... but the last time I used it, (on a newer PC) Xubuntu was pretty solid right out of the box. I always used the LTS version (Lucid), but just because Maverick was screwy with the nvida chipset on my K7... I think the new LTS edition is out now - and that looks like the latest release of Xubuntu anyway.

So, yes, it'll be smoother. There is lighter desktops out there, but Xubuntu is probably the best-put-together one of all the official Ubuntu knockoffs.

Edit: it looks like there actually is 12.10 and 12.04 versions of Lubuntu out, but I have no idea how well it's supported these days - It seemed somewhat neglected when I tried it like 2 years ago, but they may have gotten their act together by now, considering that they have both of those new versions up... (disclaimer: LXDE is light, but it's pretty hardcore bare-bones. XFCE is a nicer more full-featured interface)
Edited by Plusfour on 9/27/2012 1:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Alright thank you
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
mhmm.

Xubuntu is my favorite, btw... :)
Reply Quote
Yeah I tried crunchbang, but I was having a lot of trouble getting it setup well and I figured its for more advanced users. Googling didnt help much with crunchbang because of its relatively low/advanced userbase.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
What I normally do when I install any flavour of *buntu is go with the official Gnome/Unity/whatever Ubuntu and then if I don't like the default desktop environment I install a new one. Xfce4 is beautiful and lightweight and still is built with GTK. If you're going with a Ubuntu I'd recommend checking it out as well.
There are other alternatives such as LXDE, Fluxbox, or Awesome but those are a bit different than the heavy ones and may be less user friendly at first but they're still easy to use and are much lighter on resources while still able to be configured to look nice (most noticeably Fluxbox).

Just make sure that you go with a Long Term Support (LTS) version of Ubuntu if you want something more stable.

Linux Mint also works very well and is based off of Ubuntu. It doesn't come with Unity but instead has Cinnamon and MATE which are similar to Gnome 3. They're still relatively new but work well and will function more like the Gnome we've all come to know and like (Unless you're a KDE user ;)

I'm currently using Linux Mint Debian Edition on this Eee PC 1000. It originally came with Xandros but the UI was too simple and I've used Ubuntu and now LMDE and LMDE is wonderful. When I boot up and into Awesome and the only thing that's running is Conky, my system monitor, it's using 4% of my 1GB RAM and stays fairly low no matter what I'm doing until I have Firefox and a dozen tabs (of WoW forums!) open for a few hours. Haha.

I suggest LMDE because it's based off of Debian rather than Ubuntu and unless you manage to break something which, unless you're like me and poke around where maybe you shouldn't be, you probably won't, you won't have to install again. This is because Debian uses rolling upgrades so you'll always get the latest version based on the "Unstable" repository that LMDE uses as their base. (Debian has a long process for things to be classified as "Stable" so don't let this deter you, they have the really unstable stuff under "Testing".) However, this doesn't mean that everything built for Debian will run on LMDE, all distros have their own changes to packages and applications so while something may work, you also may break it installing something that wasn't configured to run on your system. Just compile it from source if there's no version specific for your distro, the readme will usually walk you through that.

I hope you're a little more familiar with Linux now.

Oh, also, you can just install a different desktop environment/window manager from Synatpic or the Software Package Manager that's installed. There should be a section and you can just do a web search to find some screen shots to get a general idea of what it'll look like by default.

To change your desktop environment just select it under "session" when you go to log in. By default you should be under "Ubuntu 3D" and right now there's also a "Ubuntu 2D" and "Ubuntu Classic" which should be a little better on performance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]