A 'Guild Wars 2' Player Reviews 'MoP'

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Why does it matter that its a GW2 player? honestly who cares what other games reviewers play. I love Guild Wars 2 you what other game I love? yup thats right World of Warcraft; I know its shocking but bear with me, games should be judged on their own merits not on the merits of another game, that goes for wow and any other game.
Reply Quote
54 Human Priest

There are all of 5 people who PvP in this game.

No, you're just plain wrong. Are you seriously spending release day trashing the game on the forums? That's pretty sad.
Edited by Olgill on 9/25/2012 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/25/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Magedaw
Minus anyone with skill who tried PvE and realized how much of a joke it is lol. Soooo probably a few more than 5.

It's almost as if you're implying that anyone with skill would take WoW's pvp seriously.
Reply Quote
29 Tauren Druid
09/25/2012 11:37 AMPosted by Kurnea
Minus anyone with skill who tried PvE and realized how much of a joke it is lol. Soooo probably a few more than 5.

It's almost as if you're implying that anyone with skill would take WoW's pvp seriously.

It's almost as if you're implying that people who play wow have no skill and you're superior to all 10 million of them.. Tell us all about the super srs game you play.. that would prob be too hard for the average wow player.
Reply Quote
12 Blood Elf Rogue
09/25/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Ecrulis
Why does it matter that its a GW2 player? honestly who cares what other games reviewers play. I love Guild Wars 2 you what other game I love? yup thats right World of Warcraft; I know its shocking but bear with me, games should be judged on their own merits not on the merits of another game, that goes for wow and any other game.
No point in using logic atm, everyone's in butthurt mode.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/25/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Hrero
It's almost as if you're implying that people who play wow have no skill and you're superior to all 10 million of them.. Tell us all about the super srs game you play.. that would prob be too hard for the average wow player.

Typically I stick to rpgs, not exactly the best genre for pvp. But off the top of my head I'd say Dota 2, LoL, Starcraft 2, and Counterstrike are better games in regards to pvp.
Reply Quote
29 Tauren Druid
09/25/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Kurnea

Typically I stick to rpgs, not exactly the best genre for pvp. But off the top of my head I'd say Dota 2, LoL, Starcraft 2, and Counterstrike are better games in regards to pvp.

I've played DOTA and LOL.. you use 6 buttons.. and it's the same map everytime. Gets a little tedious.. especially when one feeder/afk can ruin the game for everyone. I'm not a big fan of RTS pvp.. it's just a race to see who can build faster.. not my thing. FPS: played one, you've played them all. But opinions right? Everyone's got em.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The healers now have a mana cap of 100,000. Really? What is Blizzard afraid of? A rampant band of mistweavers, roaming the land in search of victims…to heal? Lemos said that healing is downgraded “with every expansion, and it only serves to drive people away from being healers.”

Blizzard is trying to keep mana management relevant for healers. Guild Wars doesn't face this challenge because in the end game everyone gets the maximum gear level pretty quickly and there is no variation after that. In WotLK the state of healing was this: spam your AoE and/or fastest heals as much as possible to keep everyone topped off. When Cataclysm dropped they nerfed spirit to force healers to be more judicious about the skills they used and the frequency with which they used them. Spirit became irrelevant because Intellect had two benefits: it boosted the size of your initial mana pool (removing the need to regenerate mana) and it increased the amount of healing done (requiring you to heal less often). As additional raids were added the new tiers of gear raised the size of mana pools to the point where the state of healing became: spam your AoE heals as much as possible to keep everyone topped off. In other words, we were right back where we started.

The new mana cap comes with a regen buff for spirit. This forces healers to rely on spirit again. In theory no matter how good their gear is healers will never be in a position where they can indiscriminately spam their most powerful heal as often as possible. We'll see how this plays out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
It's the implied that makes the article so fun.

"Since I play a superior game, I'll hand down a review compared to my superior game. By the way, in case you didn't catch it in the 27 times I mentioned it in the article, I play Guild Wars 2. You know...the superior game? So superior that we'll mention it in the headlines. Comparing jumping puzzles to one particularly popular game is fine, but when it comes to comparing a portion of WoW to a game, we'll choose one that the internet as a whole -- especially people who don't play the game that we're reviewing -- like to say it's based on with information pulled directly from their nether regions. But my superior game -- did I mention that I play Guild Wars 2? Because I do -- is based on a world-class game. Because it's Guild Wars 2. You know...the superior game."

It's always worth a smirk to watch subtle manipulation at work.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/25/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Hrero
I've played DOTA and LOL.. you use 6 buttons.. and it's the same map everytime. Gets a little tedious..

And gets a bit competitive. The meta-gaming with either goes fairly deep.

I'm not a big fan of RTS pvp.. it's just a race to see who can build faster.. not my thing.

If you think it's just a race to see who can build faster, you don't understand the game at all. I mean, by that logic it would simply be about pumping out as many resource gatherers and expanding asap. Knowing how to harass your opponent, how to counter their forces, knowing when to push with your forces, all of these are factors. It basically comes down to whoever can best multitask.

FPS: played one, you've played them all.
The dynamics between the likes of Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3, and Counterstrike are very different.

Regardless, just seems that competitive pvpers don't see WoW as a great source for pvp. I'm sure many people find it fun and entertaining, but I don't exactly see the general gaming community praising WoW's pvp.
Reply Quote
54 Human Priest
I have both.. I prefer WoW. Being able to determine the size of my characters nose isn't really important to me. I like the co-operative element of GW2 but it's hard to even know what's going on when you have 20 people piled on top of a world boss.. Also, the travel points ruin immersion for me.
Reply Quote
54 Human Priest
09/25/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Kurnea
I've played DOTA and LOL.. you use 6 buttons.. and it's the same map everytime. Gets a little tedious..

And gets a bit competitive. The meta-gaming with either goes fairly deep.

I'm not a big fan of RTS pvp.. it's just a race to see who can build faster.. not my thing.

If you think it's just a race to see who can build faster, you don't understand the game at all. I mean, by that logic it would simply be about pumping out as many resource gatherers and expanding asap. Knowing how to harass your opponent, how to counter their forces, knowing when to push with your forces, all of these are factors. It basically comes down to whoever can best multitask.

FPS: played one, you've played them all.
The dynamics between the likes of Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3, and Counterstrike are very different.

Regardless, just seems that competitive pvpers don't see WoW as a great source for pvp. I'm sure many people find it fun and entertaining, but I don't exactly see the general gaming community praising WoW's pvp.

Yeah I haven't really played a lot of RTS online.. I just found it was all about actions per minute.. and you can't even see the other guy. You have to have a strat before where you build things in a certain order, as fast as you can. It's just not my thing. I agree that the general gaming community doesn't praise WoW's pvp, and I know that some of the games you mentioned actually have professional leagues.. WoW will always be unbalanced because there's so much going on. I'm not a professional gamer, I just think it's more fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I wont nitpick anything specifically (i want to, though) so i'll just say it was a very personal review, at best. It serves very little purpose in terms of knowing what to expect from the game.

There are times where the writer seems to be talking to people who have no idea what WOW is and two lines later it seems like the text is meant to experienced players. You can't really tell who is it aimed for.

Also, another thing that came to my mind is the several affirmations about things that are highly debatable, for start, the notion that guild wars 2 is a more advanced game.

Interesting work, but not quite there. I'm really surprised to see it in forbes.com i'd expect a much more professional review there. Honestly, i felt like reading a random rookie game blog, rather than a column on forbes.

/end-critique-no-one-asked
Edited by Hoylshadow on 9/25/2012 12:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I wont nitpick anything specifically (i want to, though) so i'll just say it was a very personal review, at best. It serves very little purpose in terms of knowing what to expect from the game.

There are times where the writer seems to be talking to people who have no idea what WOW is and two lines later it seems like the text is meant to experienced players. You can't really tell who is it aimed for.

Also, another thing that came to my mind is the several affirmations about things that are highly debatable, for start, the notion that guild wars 2 is a more advanced game.

Interesting work, but not quite there. I'm really surprised to see it in forbes.com i'd expect a much more professional review there. Honestly, i felt like reading a random rookie game blog, rather than a column on forbes.

/end-critique-no-one-asked

pretty much what I got out of it too, GW2 is a different game and I dont really understand the obsession with comparing it to WoW, I love WoW for the PvE I love GW2 for the pvp it is possible to like more than one MMO
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]