5.0 Mistweaver PvE Guide

90 Blood Elf Monk
10/07/2012 11:58 PMPosted by Kabigon
At 90, you NEED to be a Fistweaver, you will burn too much mana otherwise and gain nowhere near enough tea.

Wrong. You don't NEED to do anything. The top parses on some fights are from players who aren't fistweaving.

You will not spam jab either.

Also incorrect. Jab is our most efficient source of chi generation. It's very easy to quickly generate chi and gain stacks of tea to keep your mana up.

You will pool your chi

Pooling chi is dumb. Spend it as soon as you get it to maximize chi generation.

use Blackout Kick/ Tigerpalm as your heal/ greater heal. Keep Renewing mists up, use Uplift when you can to add time, if your good on your Monestary buffs and dont need to uplift, toss on an enveloping mist on tank and take a breather.

Tiger Palm is rarely used unless you have absolutely no other things to do. BOK + Uplift are your biggest chi dumps. I never take breathers. I constantly hit the boss \ DPS for tea generation and I never run out of mana.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I've run some numbers and there are some things to consider:

Jab is the most efficient Chi-generating ability, after Expel Harm, but Soothing Mist comes very close to it when you take into account that it provides more healing than Jab does.

Blackout Kick/Tiger Palm are extremely inefficient chi-spending abilities. If you were to ramp up and stay within melee range to get the full effect of the buff and only use them the minimal amount of times to get them out there, in that first 20 second period.. your Chi would have been more effective had it been used on our other Chi dumps. Using Chi on these abilities should eventually improve *if* you're melee'ing, and only using them to maintain melee buffs. However, in practice, the opportunity to sit and fistweave for minutes just isn't there, which leads me to.. not using Blackout Kick/Tiger Palm unless I'm good on mana and my actual goal is to provide additional damage.

Lastly, the least efficient thing you could possibly do is use Tiger Palm/Blackout Kick when you do not need to refresh your buffs.

So far, for myself fistweaving has been helpful in 5s, and not so great in raids.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

I constantly hit the boss \ DPS for tea generation and I never run out of mana.

Tried what you just recommended, only jabbing and dumping chi on bok/uplift, or Enveloping for tank heals, while keeping renewing mists up...
Saying you never run out of mana... I dont know, unless your fights usually last 20 to 30 seconds? Then I cant possibly understand how you aren't having serious mana problems.

Mind you I made sure to not waste any chi, I was always spending at 2 or 4.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Could be a gear thing, I have well over 10k spirit fully buffed. I don't run into any issues though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/08/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Mist
Could be a gear thing, I have well over 10k spirit fully buffed. I don't run into any issues though.

I sincerely hope it is, I dunno if it is possible to "remember" how bad it was for you when you had my kind of gear, as... well.. you got such copious amounts of spirit so fast. For me, the above that you critiqued is pretty much the only way I can exist in a dungeon without going "lawl, well we're f***ed"
Even with that kind of play I am still needing to say stop so we can drink.

Not to mention doing anything for dailies takes nearly a minute or more to kill a mob as a mistweaver.

Blizz completely failed this class spec as far as viable solo questing goes. Even Disc Priests resto shammies/druids and holy pallies dont take almost a minute to kill a single target.

A simple "converts any overhealing done by your damaging spells into additional damage to your target."
I feel like I need to be awarded some kind of medal for the smallest tweak that would turn this class from the dismal solo class it is into something viable. Not only that but you would probably be doing a tad better damage in dungeons/ raids which is also a nice thing to have.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/08/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Kabigon

I sincerely hope it is, I dunno if it is possible to "remember" how bad it was for you when you had my kind of gear, as... well.. you got such copious amounts of spirit so fast. For me, the above that you critiqued is pretty much the only way I can exist in a dungeon without going "lawl, well we're f***ed"
Even with that kind of play I am still needing to say stop so we can drink.

Not to mention doing anything for dailies takes nearly a minute or more to kill a mob as a mistweaver.

Blizz completely failed this class spec as far as viable solo questing goes. Even Disc Priests resto shammies/druids and holy pallies dont take almost a minute to kill a single target.

A simple "converts any overhealing done by your damaging spells into additional damage to your target."
I feel like I need to be awarded some kind of medal for the smallest tweak that would turn this class from the dismal solo class it is into something viable. Not only that but you would probably be doing a tad better damage in dungeons/ raids which is also a nice thing to have.

I don't think its terrible for solo, its a healing spec so its not there to kill things quickly. Touch of Death does speed things along though for when you're questing/soloing. Honestly if you want to solo/quest just get a WW spec that's in full quest greens or something, it'll save you a lot of time lol.

And once you hit about 7.5k spirit unbuffed you should feel pretty comfortable with your mana, especially if you're using your mana tea properly. In heroics mana is a non issue unless people are standing in every puddle they can find and causing me to cast surging mists.

Raids our Holy Pally and Resto Druid are running on fumes (they also have about 2 - 3k less spirit than I do cause they're still stuck in avoiding spirit more or less) and I'm still sitting at about 75% while doing top or very close to matching our holy paladin's effective healing.

Challenge modes are the only dungeons so far where I've really felt my mana get strained, though I suspect this'll be for all healers no matter their spirit. That said, again monks are amazing at being able to pull some heals out at low mana I feel. Especially if you're using Chi Brew and able to use up a quick 4 chi for another stack of mana tea. I need to do more challenge modes to get a better feel but this'll be where our regen is really tested I think (I've only gotten silver in Temple of the Jade Serpent and Bronze on Gate of the Setting Sun so far).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/08/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Kabigon
I sincerely hope it is, I dunno if it is possible to "remember" how bad it was for you when you had my kind of gear, as... well.. you got such copious amounts of spirit so fast.

99% sure it's gear.

Also, I don't remember how bad it was. >>; I didn't start healing until I had this gear. YAY HAVING 10000000000000000 HEALERS IN GUILD.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

• Soothing Mist - 8 sec channel, 1% mana per tick. Your core heal. It’s channeled and fairly weak. but cheap. During the channel, you can cast Surging Mist or Enveloping Mist as an instant to heal the channel target. Has a 25% chance to generate 1 Chi with each tick. Jade Serpent Statue will cast this on a random ally when you do.

• I'm pretty sure the JSS will cast its Soothing Mist on the lowest-health member, not randomly.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    10/08/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Mist
    At 90, you NEED to be a Fistweaver, you will burn too much mana otherwise and gain nowhere near enough tea.

Wrong. You don't NEED to do anything. The top parses on some fights are from players who aren't fistweaving.

Are those parses of them only ranged casting, or doing a hybrid style?

I constantly hit the boss \ DPS for tea generation and I never run out of mana.

Tried what you just recommended, only jabbing and dumping chi on bok/uplift, or Enveloping for tank heals, while keeping renewing mists up...
    Saying you never run out of mana... I dont know, unless your fights usually last 20 to 30 seconds? Then I cant possibly understand how you aren't having serious mana problems.

It has to be a gear thing, or you aren't spending chi as efficiently as you think. I try to fistweave almost exclusively, and I keep MT on cooldown (glyphed), and I do just fine with what I have. Yeah, 5 minute + fights are a pain still, we ran Stone Guards (25) last night, and I had to channel a mana pot around 25%, but other than that I was good to go.

For you, for now, any piece that doesn't have spirit on it, reforge into it. You have plenty of haste, as 1345 is the first break point, and the next one is around 8k, which is insane. I would suggest reforging out of the extra haste into spirit, and take the crit on your staff to spirit. Since Jade Spirit is just barely available yet, even to those who do dailies everyday, go with heartsong on your weapons until JS is available. Switch your meta to Revitalizing Primal Diamond until you are comfortable with your regen. Also, until you get some more gear, I recommend dungeoning with flasks and spirit food.
    Reply Quote
    Guide updated 15 October.

Changes:
    -Clarified that melee'ing when possible is optimal (which diverges from the design intent that you can choose either, so we'll see what happens with this)
    -Recommended Crackling Jade Lightning more heavily for Eminence healing.
    -Clarified Rotation section to highlight the necessity for Chi generation and recommending Jab.
    -Suggested Heartsong as a cheap alternative to Jade Spirit.
    -Redid stat weights to clarify haste's caps and value.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    10/15/2012 05:33 AMPosted by Jekerchan

It has to be a gear thing, or you aren't spending chi as efficiently as you think. I try to fistweave almost exclusively, and I keep MT on cooldown (glyphed), and I do just fine with what I have. Yeah, 5 minute + fights are a pain still, we ran Stone Guards (25) last night, and I had to channel a mana pot around 25%, but other than that I was good to go.

For you, for now, any piece that doesn't have spirit on it, reforge into it. You have plenty of haste, as 1345 is the first break point, and the next one is around 8k, which is insane. I would suggest reforging out of the extra haste into spirit, and take the crit on your staff to spirit. Since Jade Spirit is just barely available yet, even to those who do dailies everyday, go with heartsong on your weapons until JS is available. Switch your meta to Revitalizing Primal Diamond until you are comfortable with your regen. Also, until you get some more gear, I recommend dungeoning with flasks and spirit food.

I wont lie.... I had completely forgot reforging existed, I had come back a couple months before mists came out from a year long break, as cata was a little disappointing on Bloodscalp, and since I didnt bother to gear I never took that into account.

Holy crap I feel like a baddie xD

I will do just that, and thank you for what will probably be some of the best help I have gotten along with Mists again, for the initial ideas in how to do things correctly.

Yesterday I had just gotten my Engi helm, and a few more pieces of gear, so I stopped completely oom'ing and am actually finishing most heroics with 25% or more mana at bosses, which is much better than before =D
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Monk
    10/15/2012 05:33 AMPosted by Jekerchan

On Blood Legion's heroic will kill, their mistweavers literally only cast Renewing Mist \ Spinning Crane Kick \ Uplift for like the whole fight.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Wonder if that's still the case since the SCK nerf.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk

I wont lie.... I had completely forgot reforging existed, I had come back a couple months before mists came out from a year long break, as cata was a little disappointing on Bloodscalp, and since I didnt bother to gear I never took that into account.

Holy crap I feel like a baddie xD

I will do just that, and thank you for what will probably be some of the best help I have gotten along with Mists again, for the initial ideas in how to do things correctly.

Yesterday I had just gotten my Engi helm, and a few more pieces of gear, so I stopped completely oom'ing and am actually finishing most heroics with 25% or more mana at bosses, which is much better than before =D

You are quite welcome sir. Monks are fun, and I like the level of complexity they have that differs from the traditional 3 heal setup.

Once you get to the point where you are real comfortable with mana regen, your heals will be at a good spot too. Granted it's only normal modes, but 2 healing Feng with a holy pally isn't all that bad, while fistweaving most of the time. If you want to see an example of how I do that, check here, from my stream: http://www.twitch.tv/jekerdud/b/335744691 I know I'm not perfect with how I use my Chi, but meh, whatever.

I recommend doing a "hybrid" of both keybinds and an addon setup like Vuhdo or Grid+Clique. Just having the mouse for the main heals helps leave you free to DPS as you see fit.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Monk
    10/15/2012 11:16 PMPosted by Jekerchan
    Wonder if that's still the case since the SCK nerf.

SCK has only actually been nerfed once. So yes.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk

I recommend doing a "hybrid" of both keybinds and an addon setup like Vuhdo or Grid+Clique. Just having the mouse for the main heals helps leave you free to DPS as you see fit.

Yeah I have used Clique+Grid since as long as I remember them being out, so helpful, sadly they havent added a buff to track Renewing Mists, which is a downer, Forte Xorcist also doesnt have a full suite of monk buffs to be tracked, which is also sad, but all in due time =]

I tend to have my heals on clique, and an emergency cooldown as well.
    All my attacks are on keybinds, as well as every cooldown I have to blow, and a few heals.

You're not alone in the world of all around badassery! haha
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Sadly, Forte is not the way to go. You'll want to use weak auras to track it. If you watched my video, the weak auras I use is something Affinitii from Blood Legion set up, and it's extremely helpful. You can find the video he made about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B30Yywqd44U Along with pastebins for all the imports.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    Mist, I know you use jab a lot. Is uplift the only chi dump ability you use? I've been using BoK and the punch ability (brain fart ugh lol) as well. Also, is it just by making sure to use mana tea on CD and your high spirit how you keep from ooming? I haven't done a regular raid yet, just LFR and each of the three fights I was oom with the boss at around 10%. Admittingly, I wasn't great about using mana tea on CD though.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Monk
    BoK to keep SZ up, uplift every time you can, chi burst any time you don't have enough RM's out and need to heal the raid. That's about it.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Monk
    Sorry if I come off dumb, but all I'm getting from this post is you HAVE to fistweave to be a good Monk healer. What is so wrong with range healing ? Call me slow but why have the option to range heal if we are meant to solo melee heal. Yes, I know there are some fights that may cause to not be in melee range but should either style just be a choice ?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]