The Hit (point) List: Finding Rares

89 Night Elf Hunter
I've seen some discussions on this on Warcraft Pets, but the site is down and I'm not sure if anyone has started a list. So, here goes :3

You can't tell before a battle whether or not a pet is rare quality. But, it appears that you can use hitpoints as a guide to know when a wild pet is rare. So, if we were to make a list of how many hitpoints each rare has when we catch it, we'll probably have a reference sheet that we can use. While you are fighting, you'll probably battle enough pets that you'll get an idea. This would be for those afraid, well what if the very first one I find is rare and I kill it?

These are the rares I have so far and how many hit points they had when caught.
If people are interested in adding their own, I'll check back laters and update the first post. You can use the armory to see the pets, but I'm not sure it will be helpful if the pet has been leveled.

RedRidge
• Fledgling Buzzard (4) 373

Searing Gorge
• Fire Beetle (13) 903

Feralis
• Nether Faerie Dragon (11) 636
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
or you can use an addon to tell you. The rarity of the pets you're fighting can be looked up, it's just not shown in the default ui.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21362-PetBattleQualityGlowMoP.html
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Be aware that hit points are not the only way to determine visually (sans Addon) whether a pet is rare or not. Often I find that looking at the average of a pets speed and damage give a pretty good indicator of rarity.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
If there is a rare pet that has lower HP than a common or poor, I don't want it no matter how good it's speed or attack are.

Anyway, there's no need to make an elaborate list. Just catch the first one of that type you see. Make a note of it's stats and compare it to any new ones you run across.
Edited by Shalura on 9/26/2012 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
I wish blizzard would have a glow on them that would just flat out tell you rarity. Even Pokemon makes their rare pets shiny and sparkly
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Hunter
Personally, I prefer to make a list as constantly digging into my pet list to compare is tedious and my memory when staying up way too late, is not reliable. I'd rather have something to print out. And, I figure a mod maker could use such info to make an add-on that would do it. But if you don't want to use a list, by all means, don't use one. :3

Sadly, that addon hasn't worked for me :(
Edited by Vhale on 9/26/2012 1:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
or you can use an addon to tell you. The rarity of the pets you're fighting can be looked up, it's just not shown in the default ui.

Is this working for you I downloaded it and i'm not seeing a ui change.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Rare pets seem to have one of their stats (HP, power, speed) boosted. I kind of get this feeling that there will be epic and maybe even legendary pets that have 2 or all 3 stats boosted high. They're just going to be really rare.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/26/2012 01:01 PMPosted by Desidarius
I wish blizzard would have a glow on them that would just flat out tell you rarity. Even Pokemon makes their rare pets shiny and sparkly

In Pokémon, a pet being 'shiny' does not automatically make it better then others of its species: that comes down to a combination of its nature and its Hidden Values (AKA: how much of a 'bonus' it has in each individual stat). In other words: A normal-colored, non 'sparkly' 'mon can outclass a shiny one depending on the stats.

In WoW, a pet being Rare is the same as finding a Pokémon with higher then average stats or near-perfect stats; but just like in Pokémon, there's no visual indicator of this other then catching it and observing its stats.
Edited by Varadore on 9/26/2012 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
09/26/2012 01:15 PMPosted by Aleros
Rare pets seem to have one of their stats (HP, power, speed) boosted. I kind of get this feeling that there will be epic and maybe even legendary pets that have 2 or all 3 stats boosted high. They're just going to be really rare.

So far only NPCs have these at high lvl tamer battles
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/26/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Shalura
If there is a rare pet that has lower HP than a common or poor, I don't want it no matter how good it's speed or attack are.

That's kind of silly. There are some pets who take massive hits to their speed and attack to buff HP, like Turtles and Beetles, so when you come across a truly balanced variety rare, it might well have lower HP than an uncommon.

There are multiple stat distributions (maximum is 18 but most species have more like 2-4). Judging by HP is a pretty flawed system in some cases, and it is very sad that Blizzard didn't include the rarity information after making it fully available to the Game's API.

In addition to the addon listed above, you can even make a macro to show you rarity. The code is absurdly simple yet Blizzard chose not to include this for a reason that is beyond me.

/run for i=1,C_PetBattles.GetNumPets(2) do SELECTED_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(C_PetBattles.GetName(2,i).." - ".._G["BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY"..C_PetBattles.GetBreedQuality(2,i)]) end

That will print a line in your chat window with the rarity of each pet you're fighting against.

Edit: Changed macro to not show "nil" if fighting less than 3 pets.
Edited by Simca on 9/26/2012 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Great, that macro works.
Just a reminder for other people, you need to bind that macro to a key that doesn't get replaced by the Pet Battle UI. Basically anything that's not 1 - 6. I'd avoid the whole first action bar just to be sure.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
09/26/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Varadore

In Pokémon, a pet being 'shiny' does not automatically make it better then others of its species: that comes down to a combination of its nature and its Hidden Values (AKA: how much of a 'bonus' it has in each individual stat). In other words: A normal-colored, non 'sparkly' 'mon can outclass a shiny one depending on the stats.

In WoW, a pet being Rare is the same as finding a Pokémon with higher then average stats or near-perfect stats; but just like in Pokémon, there's no visual indicator of this other then catching it and observing its stats.

Before RSE shiny Pokemon had better stats than regular ones.
Reply Quote
Desolace
• Rock Viper (8) 441
Reply Quote

Is this working for you I downloaded it and i'm not seeing a ui change.

It works but you must select load out of date addons.

It was made for beta, and is out of data technically, but it still works.
Reply Quote
Desloace
Stoned Armadillo (7) 600
Edited by Zumaku on 9/26/2012 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You can't just look at health. I have an uncommon grey moth with 153 HP, but then caught a rare, same type and level, with 152 HP but higher speed.
Reply Quote
50 Gnome Monk
Thanks!
Reply Quote

/run for i=1,C_PetBattles.GetNumPets(2) do SELECTED_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(C_PetBattles.GetName(2,i).." - ".._G["BATTLE_PET_BREED_QUALITY"..C_PetBattles.GetBreedQuality(2,i)]) end

You

Great, that macro works.
Just a reminder for other people, you need to bind that macro to a key that doesn't get replaced by the Pet Battle UI. Basically anything that's not 1 - 6. I'd avoid the whole first action bar just to be sure.

And You

Are my new favorite people in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Great, that macro works.

Yeah, I like to use 'T' for professions and macros (Disenchanting, Milling, Prospecting, Ultraxion, etc). It's not a particularly simple key to hit during combat and its default function is almost entirely useless.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]