Monk Weapon Placement Feedback

90 Pandaren Monk
I really dislike (thats putting it nicely) weapon placement for monks. The upside down staffs make anything other than a stick look really awkward, and duel wield weapons are so high up on our backs that the hilts look like antenna. Both of those also go through the female Pandaren Monk's heads.

Now, I totally understand the reasoning for the placements. Monks grab the bottom of their weapons from their backs and hit the enemies with the top. I get it, but it doesnt make it look any better. The saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." comes to mind when I look at the weapon placements. There was nothing wrong with weapons holstered on the hip or staffs right-side up.

As a Pandaren I have more than enough room on my hips for some weapons, so can I just put them there? And can I have my staff like the other casters? The giant ornaments at the top keep hitting me in the behind. Please? PLEASE?!
Edited by Tsunâde on 10/17/2012 3:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
21 Pandaren Monk
Yes, weapon placement is a bit odd: http://oi46.tinypic.com/1ftyww.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So very much agreed. The weapon placement looks ... bad (and, like you, I'm putting it as nicely as I can). As I was telling my guildie, I wish there was a glyph that worked like Glyph of Jab but also hid our weapons. (Jab doesn't, does it? I haven't tried it out yet).

How awesome would that be? We'd look like we're just barehanded martial artists, kicking butt with just our furious fists, and no bizarrely placed, model-clipping weapons to ruin the look.

Please, Blizz, consider either making monk weapon placement different or allowing use to hide our weapons. Or both, if you have the time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
weapon placement is bad. +1
Reply Quote
43 Pandaren Monk
meh... I'm ok with the sword & mace on my back. Back in the day when I used to dual wield on my hunter and it showed my weapons it was always like this....

I kinda don't mind so much. BUT.. I'm not running with a staff... so....
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I'm all for the kung-fu stuff, but I want a reverse glyph of jab where we use the weapons in our autoattacks.

I mean, we finally get a class that can actually /use/ staves/polearms for fighting and... they leave them on the back of their neck.

Also Weapon place bad +1 (Tree still pretty though)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I love the way staves and polearms mount... its much more realistic
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
09/27/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Reika

Realistic? Doing a roll with a staff sticking 3 feet above your head isn't what I'd call realistic. Having a staff clip into tail/butt isn't realistic either. If they're going to be upside down they need to adjust the positioning so the head of the staff is further down.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
09/27/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Kirisame
I wish there was a glyph that worked like Glyph of Jab but also hid our weapons. (Jab doesn't, does it? I haven't tried it out yet).

Sadly I dont think it does. Otherwise Id totally buy it but since it doesnt (from what Ive heard) its not worth the 300g its goin for on my server atm. >.<

09/27/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Lena

Realistic? Doing a roll with a staff sticking 3 feet above your head isn't what I'd call realistic.

I totally agree with ya Lena. Everytime I roll with a staff I feel like its gonna snap in half or completely mess up the roll and hurt my panda. Is it realistic? Sure, kinda, I guess. But that little bit of realism messes up a whole lot of other stuff. Its not worth it in my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
What I really wanna know is if Blizz actually acknowledges this as a problem or if its "working as intended". I really hope it gets changed because my panda is really tired of weapon hilts swirling around in her head. >.>

If they can change male Blood Elf Monk's jab and blackout kick animations then they can totally change some weapon placements.
Reply Quote
39 Pandaren Monk
It feels weird that staves basically balance themselves on my shoulders instead of the middle of my back.

and 1h weapons need to be on my sides, not dangling off the back of my neck.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Yup, is just looks and feels wrong. I'm not sure what kind of dark magic is allowing us to balance our weapons on our necks, but it needs to stop.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I actually like the way it looks. Made sense the way staves looked on other classes with the top near the shoulders but monks actually fight with them. The way the staves are positioned now make the combat look more fluid then having the staff glitch through his body in to his hands in the middle of combat. I guess an option to pick whichever position the staff is on your back would be a good idea since this is an issue for some people.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
Depends on the staff.

Some looks okay or great with it.

Others, such as the earthy-pillar one in Cataclysm? Not so much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
+1 to this
Reply Quote
61 Draenei Monk
Looks fine to me on a male draenei. Also, for the staff at least, it points the proper way for an animation where you swing it from your back, across the enemies face and back onto you back.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Two days after the introduction of the class and a massive overhaul of the game as we knew it, I would love to think that this is the absolute last thing on Blizzard's mind.

No offense.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Hunter
09/27/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Reika

alright .... oO

http://i48.tinypic.com/ak9vyb.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

alright .... oO

http://i48.tinypic.com/ak9vyb.jpg

Oh god Sadpanda, that pic! Its so bad that its funny.

Two days after the introduction of the class and a massive overhaul of the game as we knew it, I would love to think that this is the absolute last thing on Blizzard's mind.

No offense.

No offense taken.

I dont expect it to be their first , or heck even their twentieth priority, but I do hope that its on the list somewhere. I understand that its not game breaking so its not high up, but if they can fix 2 male belf monk animations on the fly then I'm sure they can fix this.

09/28/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Verndale
Also, for the staff at least, it points the proper way for an animation where you swing it from your back, across the enemies face and back onto you back.

Yeah, I get that but from what Ive seen staff placement on most races looks too high. If they lowered it a bit then maybe. I dunno, but that still leaves the problem of the later level staffs with the big ornaments on top. It looks bad with them just hanging there, banging into your behind.
Edited by Tsunâde on 9/29/2012 1:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
61 Pandaren Monk
I think a couple things need to happen.

First off, keep this style. Leave the weapons high on the back. They really can't change that without changing the animation. It's pretty fluid.

Second, Allow monks a way to hide their weapons. It doesn't necessarily need to be tied to the glyph of Jab, since I'm sure some monks enjoy having a staff or what have you on their back just for the appearance.

Third, Give monks a way to really use their weapon(s) when fighting. I for one would love to see my monk using her staff or that awesome looking polearm I'll be getting in combat rather than her fists constantly. This could easily be done through a glyph. I believe all that needs to be done is suppress the "Way of the Monk" passive ability. Hell, one of the Masters at the Peak of Serenity is a weapons expert, and says he knows how to fight with any weapon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]