How bad is Outlands/WOTLK/Cata leveling?

90 Pandaren Monk
Not sure how many have made it to those zones....but so far I am dreading it.

Going to be making it there tonight and was wondering if the leveling slows down a huge amount? Its been so long since ive leveled there. Currently its taking me 20 minutes to get a level questing and less time in a 5 man. Was wondering how long its taking per level in the other past Xpacs zones.

Whats strats are people using to level through these zones?

All dungeons? All BGs? Curious about everyones feedback and experiences so far. (depending on how many got there)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
um. typically I fill up my quest log, finish them all, get the XP buff, and turn them all in. and continue as necessary. It's gotten me to level 65 in a matter of a couple hours. outlands sucks. wrath/cata I won't mind so much as it's a little easier to move around there.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
That's good to hear. I won't lie, the xpac levels are the most intimidating to me. They get quite dull quite fast. Glad to hear that Outlands isn't taking extreme amounts of time though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Outland isn't so bad, but you need to jump zones quickly. Do Hellfire from 58-61, Zangarmarsh from 61-63, Terokkar Forest until 64, Nagrand up to 67 and Netherstorm until 68 when you can go to Northrend. Don't get caught doing quests that are lower level than you could be doing, basically. If you're level 62 and still in Hellfire Peninsula (which is quite possible - there's more than enough quests there for that), then you're not doing quests which give the most possible xp for your time, and the mobs are lower level so killing won't get you as much.

Outland goes fast, but of course Northrend goes even faster. I did Borean Tundra -> Dragonblight -> Grizzly Hills -> Zul'drak -> Storm Peaks -> Icecrown, jumping to next zone as soon as I got a breadcrumb to do so. Went very fast and the quests there are still pretty good.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Despite what the forums are showing me as, I'm mid 60's at the moment, so well into Outland.

However, even at 58 it was fairly easy. I switched over to Mistweaver, rounded up as many mobs as I could handle (which seems to be anything I felt like without the range leash making them starting to run away), and just start burning the down with SCK + Chi Wave. If I come across an elite, fight it -> paralysis when you are at low health to heal up -> rinse/repeat.

Doing each dungeon once, and adding to all of this the benefit of BoA gear and the Enlightenment buff (which is HUGE), Ill probably have only spent a day in TBC.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/28/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Kryllin
um. typically I fill up my quest log, finish them all, get the XP buff, and turn them all in. and continue as necessary. It's gotten me to level 65 in a matter of a couple hours. outlands sucks. wrath/cata I won't mind so much as it's a little easier to move around there.

Sorry to ruin the ongoing topic, but exp buff? I didn't know there was one outside of the rest buff but doesn't that only apply to monsters?
Reply Quote
Enlightenment which you get from a guy using your Zen Pilgrimage skill to port is 50% buff to quests and monster xp for an hour. AND is repeatable.

I WANT this for my other panda alts :)
Edited by Übear on 9/28/2012 11:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
09/28/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Jëcht

Sorry to ruin the ongoing topic, but exp buff? I didn't know there was one outside of the rest buff but doesn't that only apply to monsters?
Every 10 levels (starting at 20) you get a quest to use Zen Pilgrimage and fight a master at the top of the monastery. The reward is a level 20/30/40/... item and a 2 hour +50% XP buff. After you've completed one it opens up a daily quest that gives you the buff.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So far outlands was pretty easy, knocked that out in a few hours. Northrend though is going pretty slow at times specially when you don't have the enlightenment buff.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I imagine I'll get to Outland this weekend, hopefully beyond.

Yay, more felboars.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Outlands was so so as it still has the problem of old vanilla questing where everything is miles apart.

So far northrend hasn't been so bad. Things are clustered together nicely and you can pretty much cut a zone into parts of where a quest hub is. Problems is that it's harder to get death balls rolling due to short aggro chains and packs/mobs being spread appart.

Haven't gotten to Cata but the fact that mobs are gonna be far apart still is gonna be murder for kill quests. I can feel it.

Death Balls?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
i hated WoTLK. it was boring to me so out found myself taking frequent breaks, but Outlands and Cata go fast
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I did Outland in a day, then remembered that Northrend is hands down THE worst leveling experience in the game, so I've been doing Archaeology to level and am 20% into 79.

The way I see it, if I don't do Archaeology on my Monk now, I wont be able to do it when I get to Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Im doing wrath right now and its boring as hell still, at least completing two zones are enough to hit 80.
Edited by Ayve on 9/28/2012 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
They are easy, done them 14 times now....
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Vex
Does archeology give exp even if you're leveling it from lv1?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
09/28/2012 09:13 PMPosted by Capucine

It always gives a proportionate amount of exp depending on your level. Im 79 and still get 1% per find. 6% a digsite is extremely better than having to force yourself to do Northrend.

I honestly tried to, but an hour of questing into Northrend I was so tired of it I left and never looked back.
Edited by Klairisa on 9/28/2012 9:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
09/28/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Klairisa

It always gives a proportionate amount of exp depending on your level. Im 79 and still get 1% per find. 6% a digsite is extremely better than having to force yourself to do Northrend.

I honestly tried to, but an hour of questing into Northrend I was so tired of it I left and never looked back.

I hope you don't mind that I'm totally stealing this idea :P

definitely making these last 3 levels easier...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]