Dear Blizzard: I don't care about your quests

90 Human Rogue
Yeah questing through the dozens of Pandaria zones and storylines is really a mindless grind...
... as opposed to playing your 10,000th game of AV. Thrilling.

So your example of PvP's staleness is a battleground that the entire community hates so much that they demanded it be given an off switch because its a race to kill a PvE mob?

Warsong Gulch is fresh and exciting every time I zone in; level-appropriate UBRS is a form of torture. It takes all kinds.

Frankly you're lucky they give xp at all.

They threw you a bone and made BGs a viable form of leveling

See? See? This is exactly the kind of mindless vindictiveness I was talking about. This is all the substance there is to arguments against competitive experience for PvP activities.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I know. It existed even in vanilla.

XP In BGs wasn't added til late Wrath expac...as far as I know, which was to get rid of twinks ravaging regular bgs more or less.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
And the award for "dumbest thread I've ever seen" goes to...
Specdps and this thread! Congratulations, you've earned it!
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
09/25/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Fietputanzz
I know. It existed even in vanilla.

XP In BGs wasn't added til late Wrath expac...as far as I know, which was to get rid of twinks ravaging regular bgs more or less.

You received experience for the repeatable proto-daily for handing in Marks of Honor. Twinks simply didn't turn in the quest. I did nearly the entire final level of every bracket on my first character by turning in this quest.
Edited by Zskfjrpclmgq on 9/25/2012 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
buff dungeon xp.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/25/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Zskfjrpclmgq
There's an especially pathetic brand of vindictiveness (a kind of bizarre mixture of schadenfreude and nerdy smugness) attached to all the arguments against to OP in this thread

To be fair, it took the OP 4/5 pages to get to the point of what it is he actually wants. Being dramatic and overly emotional, all the while tossing out made up statistics tends to get one unwanted comments.

09/25/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Specdps
My response is to demand equality for both play styles...

I'm sure there's some sort of reason for it being the way it is. Honestly though, questing is not as horrific as you're making it out to be and the "kill 8437952 boars" line is a little dramatic, but I understand your point. I like the PvP storyline idea someone mentioned. It would probably get me to pvp again.
Edited by Sherbear on 9/25/2012 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If it wasn't for the quest I wouldn't play, and it has been my experience that only the uneducated and illiterate don't care about the quest because they can barely read.
Reply Quote
71 Goblin Rogue
I don't PvP. At all. So no dog in this fight... and what with the CRZ stuff going on for "WPvP" recently, my opinions toward the average PvP forum poster haven't been especially favorable these days (sadly).

BUT... I gotta say, Zsk has posted some very reasonable and well thought out points on this topic. Nice to see this.

OP, please take a few minutes to READ what she says... and how she says it. It can make a huge difference in the reactions you might get from a post like yours. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/25/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Jadden
and it has been my experience that only the uneducated and illiterate don't care about the quest because they can barely read.

I'm sorry, but what a ridiculous thing to say...
I like to plow through quests on my main and I scarcely read the material. I'm perfectly literate.
Edited by Sherbear on 9/25/2012 3:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
I never did. I don't think I've even read more than 10 quests since I started playing your game. You know what else? less than 20% of your customer base even bothers to read your quests. Nobody cares. Most people just want to hit level cap. So you can sit there and nerf BG xp and every other alternate method of leveling to try and FORCE people to quest, but at the end of the day, nobody cares about your text based 2001 game design.

Nerf AV. Nerf it all. Force people to play the game the way you want them to play it. It's bad game design. Just because you're more concerned with writing dialogue than having stable servers for a major expansion launch doesn't mean that I have to care.

All games like WoW have a story of some kind. the quests are meant to teach you how to play your toon while at the same time explaining the backstory of how your toon got to where he/she is end game. Unless i'm in an extreme hurry of some kind or another and I've never done the quest before, between the time I pick it up and before I turn it in, even if it's the moment before I click complete quest I take time to read it. There have been questlines that were good enough to get some type of emotional response from me which means that the writers did a good job. To give you an example of what I mean, I'm horde at heart and absolutely despise playing alliance but I keep an ally toon to play with friends. I never paid attention to the alliance side of things but Bolvar and Saurfang the younger dying at the wrath gate got me pretty steamed and made me want to kill Arthas that much more, not to mention some of the things I witnessed in the quests and even what he made this troll do. call me a nerd if you wish (then again you sort of have to be to play a game like this) but I enjoy the story behind quests. I don't care much for the questing experience but I can stomach it for the story at least.

09/25/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Snowfox
Actually it's 89.999%, because 1 in 10 is always something interesting.

I would consider that number subjective as well though I do agree that it's extremely high. One of the basic things in economics that I've always heard is 50% of all statistics can be made to say whatever you want.
Reply Quote
I don't have any stats - but I tend to side the OP with the view that alot of people don't read all the quests. I'd point out though that Guild Wars 2 is an excellent game if you don't like reading quests.. WoW likes there little stories..
Reply Quote
15 Pandaren Monk
09/25/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Specdps
less than 20% of your customer base even bothers to read your quests.

Source for this statistic?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Quests arn't too bad I think blizzard really try there best to minimize and avoid those really grindy kill xx and collect xx quests. But being an mmo it's inevitable that these types of quests appear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
09/25/2012 03:27 PMPosted by Gunny
Blizzard will ALWAYS find a way to force players into using new features and experiencing new content. I'm sure they track usage stats and use that to show value added for the new content or features. The easiest way to do it is to tie experience, honor/conquest, justice/valor, or rep to something and put a tangible at the other end. Sure, you don't HAVE to do it if you don't mind not being competitive... lol

You're right, but these are two separate matters. Yes, players will always be all but forced to experience new content (I don't think it will ever be feasible, for example, to level an entirely new expansion to level cap through battleground experience alone; Blizzard doesn't want a situation like today's Alterac Valley) and I think even the most hardcore PvP players are fine with that.

On the other hand, I don't see why people should be forced to do it that way a second (or tenth) time around. What the OP is really getting at is that he'd like to see PvP experience be feasible for *most* of the leveling process (equivalent to a mixture of dungeons and questing for all levels up until current expansion content, let's say). As I've said above in this thread, I don't see a thing in the world wrong with this idea, and I haven't for years. This feature could easily be set up as a Death-Knight-style unlock if you want to force people to do it the old-fashioned way at least the first time through (which I also don't think is a terrible idea).

Also, as a contextual note for those of you who haven't been paying attention: The reason we're all talking about this right now is that AV was bugged today in such a way that the experience reward for winning was way too high (that is, it was high enough to be competitive with ordinary questing for the first time in the history of WoW). This was freaking awesome, and so of course was immediately nerfed. That is why OP be mad.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
09/25/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Specdps
The point of this thread was to ask the question why is questing the only way to level? If I want to bg or dungeon grind, why should I be penalized for choosing to play the game a different way? Why should I be forced to quest? Why is Blizzard forcing me to play the game a certain way?

Questing is hardly the only way to level, and while it’s easy to toss around imaginary numbers on how many people are interested in quest text, I can assure you that a rather large number of people do care. I actually think you’re missing out on quite a lot of great story nuggets if you ignore the text entirely, but you know what they say: different strokes for different folks.

With that being said, if your aim is to simply reach max-level as quickly as possible, there are a number of different ways to do so. I know of several people that have rotated between running dungeons, questing, running BGs, and grinding mobs as the mood strikes them. I’d definitely encourage people to experience the game the way they would like to experience it. Battle some pets, work on some professions, explore exotic new places, and just, well, enjoy the journey. There’s an awful lot to see and do beyond those bubbles on your XP bar. ;)
Reply Quote
78 Human Warlock
09/25/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Vaeflare
The point of this thread was to ask the question why is questing the only way to level? If I want to bg or dungeon grind, why should I be penalized for choosing to play the game a different way? Why should I be forced to quest? Why is Blizzard forcing me to play the game a certain way?

Questing is hardly the only way to level, and while it’s easy to toss around imaginary numbers on how many people are interested in quest text, I can assure you that a rather large number of people do care. I actually think you’re missing out on quite a lot of great story nuggets if you ignore the text entirely, but you know what they say: different strokes for different folks.

With that being said, if your aim is to simply reach max-level as quickly as possible, there are a number of different ways to do so. I know of several people that have rotated between running dungeons, questing, running BGs, and grinding mobs as the mood strikes them. I’d definitely encourage people to experience the game the way they would like to experience it. Battle some pets, work on some professions, explore exotic new places, and just, well, enjoy the journey. There’s an awful lot to see and do beyond those bubbles on your XP bar. ;)

To be fair, nothing comes close to questing for exp. I like running dungeons a lot but the exp is terrible.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
09/25/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Vaeflare

That's great, and I'm sure that's what most of us do, but the fact of the matter is that there is currently no doubt as to what playstyle is most efficient. At the end of the day, the numbers do matter.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Druid
But I like questing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]