Glyph of Soul Shards & Burning Ember

90 Tauren Shaman
Hello fellow Warlocks,

I wanted to ask the community about these two glyphs and how much everyone here is using them. So far I haven't come across any Affliction or Destruction Warlocks that haven't been using these glyphs and they seem kind of counter intuitive to Blizzards new concept of not making any glyph or talent mandatory.

Now I haven't poled thousands or even 100 of players on this, but I was hoping to get some player feedback now that they have been on live realms for a while.

Personally I'd like to see these two talents be made baseline as they feel like a requirement and I don't find their effect very exciting or interesting. However, its very possible many of you feel differently or may see it differently, and I'd love to hear why.

So speak up locks! Are you using these glyphs? Would you like them to stay the same or be made baseline? Do you feel like you have to choose them? What would you change?
Reply Quote
4 Undead Warlock
It's not like there's any other real glyph choices anyway, especially for destro.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Gnome Warlock
I'm glyphed for both (obviously depending on spec) I find for Affliction it is almost mandatory as a large part of the DPS is dependent on Haunts up-time, having an extra shard for that is almost a no brainer.

For Destro, I find it is useful in some situations, but rarely do I stack 4 embers before I unload a choas bolt, so I find it somewhat useful, but not a ton, so "meh" on that one. It's nice to save an ember for "utility" purposes during a fight (heal, insta-demon) but doesn't affect DPS really at all.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I like to pool Embers for Demon Soul (combined with a mastery use effect and trinket procs, you can get some pretty absurd numbers from that), so the extra ember is nearly required for that. If you burn them as soon as you get them, sure, not really needed, but the burst and damage benefits from chaining 4 Chaos Bolts with temp buffs is hard to ignore.

For Affliction, it's an obvious glyph, given that it lets you multiDoT easier and it lets you pool more shards for Nightfall flexibility.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I use Embers glyph. I find that the extra ember is great for a quick needed heal and it's not like it hurts me as far as I know.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
For PvE, they're both mandatory for sure, mostly because a lot of the other glyphs aren't clear cut DPS increases or utility based. Affliction it helps with initial rotation with the extra shard so you have the option to SB: SS and Haunting right away while still having half your shards. The Burning Embers glyph is a little less useful since most of the time you don't sit on embers (especially at 90), but having a 4th ember slot gives you the maximum burst DPS potential for burn phases.

I mainly PvP - and I actually take neither glyph. For Affliction, I just find other glyphs more useful then faster ramp up time. Rarely am I sitting at my Soul Shard cap, and Nightful doesn't proc that often so it's easy to maintain staying at 1-2 shards at a time. Also, Affliction PvP has other attractive choices (healthstone, CoEx, Soul Swap). I don't take Burning Embers either for Destruction. First of all, it takes a while to build an ember in the first place so buildling 4 embers is a long time of not doing anything. The exception is in battlegrounds where you can rack up embers easier by using Shadowburn. I don't see much of a use for it for arenas and duels though. Still though, the problem Destruction has is that there aren't really many glyphs good for Destro PvP. There's healthstone and Conflag, but that third slot is really up in the air. I chose Siphon Life just for some passive healing, but Burning Embers could probably be viable too. I just don't think sitting on max embers is a good way to play Destruction.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i use the shard glyph. im a big fan of SB/SS. insta dot 4 mobs or players, MG then drain soul for the kill and refill 4 shards.....plus SB/SoC can be nice for large groups i guess for nightfall procs.
Edited by Deote on 9/27/2012 3:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
09/26/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Lewsifer
For Destro, I find it is useful in some situations, but rarely do I stack 4 embers before I unload a choas bolt, so I find it somewhat useful, but not a ton, so "meh" on that one. It's nice to save an ember for "utility" purposes during a fight (heal, insta-demon) but doesn't affect DPS really at all.

Pretty much. Once you've taken Glyph of Soulstone, what else do you take (for Raids/Dungeons specifically)? Most things are for other specs, or niche value.

I like to pool Embers for Demon Soul (combined with a mastery use effect and trinket procs, you can get some pretty absurd numbers from that), so the extra ember is nearly required for that. If you burn them as soon as you get them, sure, not really needed, but the burst and damage benefits from chaining 4 Chaos Bolts with temp buffs is hard to ignore.

Aside from required burn phases, is that even a DPS increase? Your Chaos Bolts may hit harder, but you're losing a lot of DPS to lack of Backdraft on all of them.

However for burn phases I could see it being handy.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Aside from required burn phases, is that even a DPS increase? Your Chaos Bolts may hit harder, but you're losing a lot of DPS to lack of Backdraft on all of them.

However for burn phases I could see it being handy.

Last I checked, using Backdraft on Chaos Bolt was a DPS loss to begin with. So using them during Dark Soul would A) avoid Backdraft usage, and B) drastically increase your damage.

At 20% base crit chance, Dark Soul represents a 25% damage increase to Chaos Bolt. In my experience, I get roughly 6 Chaos Bolts in every 2 minutes (while avoiding capping), and Chaos Bolt is about 25% of my total damage, so using Dark Soul on those 4 (which is 2/3rds of my Chaos Bolts for the cooldown time period) represents a DPS increase of roughly 3.2%. That's not insignificant.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]