Zen Alchemy Discovery on Greys?

90 Blood Elf Priest
My shammy has hit around 550 alchemy, and I've been trying to see if I can still discover new Zen recipies on Zen recipies that are grey. Anyone know weather or not you can/can't still discover new recipies on grey stuff?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I don't see why not. You can still discover BC recipies from Cata greys/wotlk greys/yadda yadda.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
You cannot discover MoP alchemy recipes from greys. The exception to this is from the trained patterns Alchemist's Rejuvenation and Master Healing Potion (but they will only give a limited amount of discoveries). I found this out because I used heartblossom to level my alchemy to 535 and found I had no items which granted me skill and nothing on the trainer.

However a limited run of potion making showed me that it seems very unlikely to gain points on other grey patterns.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So does this I'm completely SOL???

I tried to be efficient and get a jump on maxing my Alchemy. I bought a bunch of Elementium Ore really cheap last week and prospected them all to a common stones. When Mop hit, I immediately transmuted Shadowspirit Diamonds until it was grey (lvl 535).

Went to alchemy trainer in Jade Forest...and found nothing.

So now I have an entire alchemy book competely grey.

Working as intended to screw over those trying to get a jump on alchemy, or is there a way out (other than dropping and re-leveling alchemy)?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Actually went to tried crafting the 2 MoP recipes from the trainers. They've been grey for a long time. Got tons of discoveries from making 2 stacks of potions.

So you CAN proc discoveries from grey items...as long as they are MoP items.
Reply Quote
Good information to know. :) Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
OK either this is bs or it has been hotfixed, I did 50 Alchemist's Rejuvenation that was grey to me this second and I DID NOT LEARN ONE EXTRA RECIPE AT ALL, 50 attemps and 50 NOTHINGS!!!!!!!!

As I understand it, discovery has nothing to do with your alchemy skill level, or whether a recipe is orange, yellow, green, or grey. Rather, each recipe has a list of recipes that can be learned by crafting it. If you've already learned all the recipes available to be learned from a particular recipe, then crafting it again will not lead to any discoveries---you'll have to move on to a higher-level recipe.

Since you're not posting on your alchemist, I can't say for sure, but my guess is that you've already made all discoveries possible from those potions and need to try something else.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
10/01/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Keeblik
As I understand it, discovery has nothing to do with your alchemy skill level, or whether a recipe is orange, yellow, green, or grey. Rather, each recipe has a list of recipes that can be learned by crafting it. If you've already learned all the recipes available to be learned from a particular recipe, then crafting it again will not lead to any discoveries---you'll have to move on to a higher-level recipe.

Not true at all.

Greys have a very low rate of discovery, But master healing pot and alchemist rejuv will always have some chance of a discovery. Greater then zero but still less then 1%, Level to 535 from non mop mats? be prepared to make 500 pots to get a discovery, only 50 probably won't do it.

Something else false is that you need to be a certain level before you can discover certain patterns, like 590 for transmute living steel, again not true.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I just did.

You don't seem to as much, though. What I was doing was this:

Learn a new recipe.

Make stuff in THAT recipe.

Learn new recipes sooner.

It seems to work that way. However, I just had like a billion of the tea leaves (GO FIGURE), so I was making the intro junk healing recipe (now gray. ) I still got a new recipe, after making a lot with no new recipe (the one I got was vermillion transmute.)

It definitely slows down, when you've already made/discovered a lot on one type. I also don't know if the same type, such as the healing getting vermillion transmute, is the only one that can discover that recipe.

I just know that when I make even a few of a new recipe, I get a discovery.
------------------

From what a poster says above, gray seems to have nothing to do with it; Rather it seems to be how many discoveries you've already got on that item ( I may have them all now, from the healing potion.)
Edited by Kybeorie on 10/1/2012 4:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Yes you can.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]