Why is tank group leader in WOW?

69 Undead Priest
Having played a few mmos over the years I was completely surprised that the team tank in dungeons in this game is expected to be the leader. Running ahead of the group to get to the "boss" and giving direction to the rest of the group. Most other games use a "puller" to bring the mobs to the tank who then engages and fights to keep agg...the healer heals, the dd hits, and the group moves on. Other players contribute with emergency heals, crowd control (adds), and added damage. Why has this game evolved so differently? Why is the "puller" not the leader?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Because tanks have the tools to pull monsters themselves and largely dictate the pace the dungeon is cleared.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/27/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Gluttenfree
Why is the "puller" not the leader?

Tank: Pulls things. Tank is usually leader. If tank is leader, and a tank pulls things, then you can argue that the "puller" is the leader.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wouldn't say that tanks are the 'de facto leaders,' but when they're (barring idiots) pulling, it tends to go smoother when a tank is running stuff. The good ones know what needs to be CC'ed early in an expansion, what pulls can be avoided, what to do on bosses, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The whole point to being a tank is controling the mobs and the fight. Also, the whole point to being a group leader in wow is controling the mobs and the fight.

Hmm, I wonder why tanks are typically the group leaders... :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Because the tank and the healer are the only 2 adults, and the healer doesn't want to stop watching "her stories" long enough to lead.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Healers tend to be in the rear of the group. Leading DPSs from the rear is like trying to herd cats. Blizzard needs to give me a squirt bottle if they expect me to lead your average PUG.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Because if someone else pulls, s/he sometimes cannot stay alive.

Way back when, we had the Perfect Zone of Ultimate Safety. But now tanks have tools to survive a pull.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
It doesn't matter who pulls or who tanks or who is designated by blizzard to be the leader.

The only thing that matters is the person who chooses to direct everyone knows what they are talking about. Tanks only role is to keep enemies off of others and, to the best of there abilities, stay alive. Its not there job to call out, mark or even pull. It just happens to be far easier to keep enemies from attacking the other players if the tank pulls, but that does not mean the tank has to be the puller.
Reply Quote
It doesn't matter who pulls or who tanks or who is designated by blizzard to be the leader.

The only thing that matters is the person who chooses to direct everyone knows what they are talking about. Tanks only role is to keep enemies off of others and, to the best of there abilities, stay alive. Its not there job to call out, mark or even pull. It just happens to be far easier to keep enemies from attacking the other players if the tank pulls, but that does not mean the tank has to be the puller.

Unless the tank says otherwise, the tank pulls.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
09/27/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Gluttenfree
Why is the "puller" not the leader?

The tank IS the puller.
Ya don't pull for the tank unless he asks, or there's other wise some reason for it.
And tank goes first to avoid dps and healer getting proximity agro, as well as to facilitate tank getting initial agro.
It's well designed. Whats your issue again?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
A tank is de facto leader in 5 mans because s/he can do it easiest with the least amount of typing. S/He has the tools for gaining aggro and does virtually all of the interrupts and the mechanics are simple enough that mainly dps are responsible only to not stand in fire. In raids the tank is less likely to be leader because everyone's on vent/skype/mumble and the mechanics are more complicated. The raid group I'm with has a healer as raid leader which I think may be a role better suited for it than a tank.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
most of the time now and im sure everyone will agree
if someone else pulls mobs besides the tank , the tank then cries and says you pull it you tank it
so to avoid that just let the tank do his thing
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
in all fairness to tanks and yes i am one when other ppl pull it makes it a work out to gather them back up. BUT if there are players pulling massive dps and can kill without the tank having to worry about gathering it back up its not too bad. what i do hate is when a healer pulls running through or thinks u have their threat and ur still going through the rotation and hits one and yells help thats a lil aggravating im okay with it as long as if u pull u can handle ur own too
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
most of the time now and im sure everyone will agree
if someone else pulls mobs besides the tank , the tank then cries and says you pull it you tank it
so to avoid that just let the tank do his thing

Coming from a hunter. I think a well played hunter is one of my best tools in any 5 man i "lead/tank" However, comments like Pull. Go. Hurry up, or running ahead multi shotting then having to feign is annoying more then anything else.

I pull fast, I cc or mark for cc, I turn the mobs that need to be turned and position them so melee doesnt get trapped on a wall in in gtaoe. this is of course 5 man, in raids the tank is to busy to lead *most the time. in pugs havae a good tank let him/her pull......AND dont roll need on tank gear unless you ask!!=)
Reply Quote
61 Pandaren Monk
A hunter "puller" was typically used in Vanilla. It was boring and it sucked and served no purpose.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i agree with that i am still gearing and get out rolled on needs from hunters and such on tank gear that i need and when i ask for it they just leave i hate that cause i have been running certain dungeons to get a bettter i lvl for mop and they steal when the gear finally drops lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]