Is there an advantage to raising vs catching?

As the threat title states, I've been noticing that a lot of the pets I want come from different zones and thus, levels.

Is there a benefit to catching + raising a pet from, say, level 5, as opposed to catching a pet of the exact same name/type that's level 20?

Example: Squirrels in Elwynn Forest are level 1. Squirrels in Crystalsong Forest are level 22(23?) Is there any sort of benefit to catching the level 1 and raising it all the way up?
Edited by Stax on 9/28/2012 6:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Hunter
There shouldn't be. Every pet of the same type (by "type," I mean all Squirrels, not all Critters) should have the same growth rate built into their stats. The only thing to watch for is rarity, which you can see by getting PetBattleQulityGlow (have to search for it, as it's not on the Curse Client).
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Well the difference is in the EVs.

If you didn't get it, that's a joke. And I have no idea what the answer to the OPs question is. I could stop now and not press submit, but I probably won't.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
You won't get achievements for "Raise 15 pets to level 10" type achievements if you tame a level 14 pet and raise it to level 15. I don't know if you can even get any of those achievements with level 2 tamed pets. I haven't tested to see if level 1 tamed pets work, but I imagine they *should*. All pre-battle pets are level 1 to start, so those definitely work for the achievement.

As for the difference in pets, a level 1 raised to level 25 and a level 22 raised to level 25 should have the same stats (allowing for the known differences in stat distribution).
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
Another interesting note is I've raised two Speedys with the same starting stats to the same level, and they both have equal stats. So I'm guessing if it starts off with greater stats, like on a rare quality pet, it'll be better than a normal pet once you level it?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
09/28/2012 07:28 AMPosted by Minzel
Another interesting note is I've raised two Speedys with the same starting stats to the same level, and they both have equal stats. So I'm guessing if it starts off with greater stats, like on a rare quality pet, it'll be better than a normal pet once you level it?

A higher quality of the same pet will have greater stats as the pet levels, yes.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
09/28/2012 07:28 AMPosted by Minzel

That's what I'm curious about too. Thus far all my rares are things like Rabbits and Toads though so I haven't really been motivated to level them and test :P
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
You won't get achievements for "Raise 15 pets to level 10" type achievements if you tame a level 14 pet and raise it to level 15. I don't know if you can even get any of those achievements with level 2 tamed pets. I haven't tested to see if level 1 tamed pets work, but I imagine they *should*. All pre-battle pets are level 1 to start, so those definitely work for the achievement.

As for the difference in pets, a level 1 raised to level 25 and a level 22 raised to level 25 should have the same stats (allowing for the known differences in stat distribution).

Nope. You can catch a level 9 pet, raise it one level and get the "Raise a pet to level 10" achievement. Or credit for the "Raise a pet of every Family." One of the first things I tested on the beta.

Now, the tricky part is finding a specific pet of the correct level. For instance if you want a Spawn of Onyxia, you don't get a whole lot of choice. If you want a Rabbit or a Snake, you can get almost any level.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm going to assume that catching higher level pets than the achievement don't count. For example, catching a level 10/11 pet will not count towards the "Raise X Pets to Level 10" achievement. Still at work (also, my pets aren't high enough level for this). Can anyone confirm?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As the threat title states, I've been noticing that a lot of the pets I want come from different zones and thus, levels.

Is there a benefit to catching + raising a pet from, say, level 5, as opposed to catching a pet of the exact same name/type that's level 20?

Example: Squirrels in Elwynn Forest are level 1. Squirrels in Crystalsong Forest are level 22(23?) Is there any sort of benefit to catching the level 1 and raising it all the way up?

You save time by capturing higher level pet. I think that's it. On the other hand, capturing them early at lower levels could get your capturing achievements done sooner.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have watched this closely and have nearly 50 caught rares at this point along with many others I've looked at while fighting but skipped since I allready had them.

For a given pet type, if the stat distribution is the same between a lower level rare and a higher level rare, if you level the lower level rare it will have the same stats as the higher level rare.

But some pets have different rare stat distributions. I've observed this with flying rares specifically like the Sea Gull and Bats. They will sometimes be rare with well rounded stats, othertimes with less HP and a huge speed bonus. I imagine there are other rare stat distributions in the same pet type, but I haven't seen as many rare duplicates with some of the other pets.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
Once you get into the 20s raising pets is super easy.

Put lvl 1 pet in front of list
Start battle
Swap with higher lvl pet
Kill wild creature
Finish battle

Your lvl 1 will get around 200 exp from the fight and ding once or twice depending on lvl.
Reply Quote
42 Pandaren Monk
Rememebr the rares are best stats and gain faster/higher but wow some of those 'wild' pets kick butt. Like snakes or moths at lvl 10 and 12. yeeks . think hard on the match.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]