Who else loves begging tanks to wait?

1 Night Elf Hunter
Getting into these higher level dungeons, I'm wondering if I'm the only one who enjoys our new-found role of having to beg tanks to slow down constantly?

I mean, you might think that it would be obvious that after a huge pull, when the healer somehow managed to keep everyone alive, but is OOM, that waiting a few seconds instead of facepulling again immediately afterward would be obvious. But that is not the case.

Instead, I have been given the role of group speed moderator. Everyone else just wants to mash everything as fast as they can but I have to be the party pooper asking everyone to slow down, just so that I am able to do my job.

I've played since early Vanilla and played a healer almost that entire time. Early cataclysm was the only time in that 8+ year history that I actually quit the game. It just wasn't fun as a healer feeling like you didn't have the tools to do the job. It's not fun feeling like everyone else has to change the way they play just to accommodate your needs (drinking for mana).

And that's if they even speak English. Nothing more fun than a Brazilian tank who constantly pulls at 10% healer mana and you don't even have the option to communicate the problem.

The only tool at my disposal here is to let people die, which 75% of the time just results in me being vote kicked.

The key to getting past the mistakes of cataclysm is not to repeat them. This really isn't looking good.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
To be honest, I haven't had much of a problem with tanks chain pulling the new dungeons, guess I've been lucky.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
09/27/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Hainiryuun
To be honest, I haven't had much of a problem with tanks chain pulling the new dungeons, guess I've been lucky.

Same here but If I do get the occasional impatient tank, I will say my macro "WAIT HOLD UP, drinkin' for mana." With that I barely if ever have any problems since I always carry stacks of drinks, alchemy potions, and my finger is itchy on innervate (seriously I love that spell). Make sure when you are low on mana, and tank is done witht he mob you instantly start drinking, I have seen so many healers that just do not drink between pulls and it's painfully obvious.

09/27/2012 10:18 AMPosted by Nourishderp
And that's if they even speak English. Nothing more fun than a Brazilian tank who constantly pulls at 10% healer mana and you don't even have the option to communicate the problem.

Say "Espara un minuto tipo, mana."
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/27/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Hainiryuun

I've had a tank chain pull several times without problems.

There's certain mobs where you're just begging to die if you chain-pull, but otherwise I haven't encountered anything threatening yet from dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I have leveled this toon over the last few weeks. I have gone from training tanks that my mana bar has nothing to do with how much I can heal to, “Wait OOM”. The early levels I found it impossible to go oom, I do not care how hard I was spamming my heavy heals, and tanks took that to mean – full mana bar obviously I am not pulling big enough. Now that I just entered the world of cata heroics I have to pay attention to mana for the first time. I look forward to seeing what happens when I get some panda gear.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
09/27/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Sparklefever
It's not too bad til you get into heroics tbh, the normals are but a tiny tiny taste of the pain that is to come.

It can't be any worse then when the troll heroics of 4.1 first came out. Healing those has battle-hardened me lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
My first Mists dungeon:

I switched specs to heal and went to drink, and tank had already pulled first boss - the party downed it without me.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Hunter
My first Mists dungeon:

I switched specs to heal and went to drink, and tank had already pulled first boss - the party downed it without me.

Yeah, that is how it is at 85, and part of the problem due to the expectations it sets. The first two dungeons are also pretty easy.

Starting at 87 with your gear scaling taking a nosedive and the instances getting significantly harder, it's not the same. By the time you hit 90 it's Cataclysm 2.0.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Impatient irresponsible tanks are level-wide. I never know what I'm gonna get when I go into LFD without any guildies with me. But it isn't just tanks. Irresponsible DPS too - who pull adds, don't do anything to mitigate the damage they take, etc. I'm healing sure - that is what I'm there to do. I just resent the expectation that folks don't have to also be more aware of themselves (or drink a potion sometimes).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would say let them run ahead and die if they can't be bothered to let you sit and get mana for a few seconds. At the same time though, be mashing you drink as the last mob dies so you can start drinking immediately after getting out of combat.

People are spoiled right now. Healers haven't been running out of mana (excluding new 85s) since the troll heroics. After dying a few times they will realize that your blue bar directly translates to their green bar (hopefully). If you get kicked for letting a tank or anyone else die because they pulled when you weren't ready, requeue and hopefully get a better group.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You seem to think that you, as the healer, for some reason don't have to change your own playstyle.

If you are having mana problems, here are two things you should do:

Heal smarter - people don't necessarily need to be topped off at all times, or even very often. Read the group, know the dungeons, and adjust where your heals go accordingly.

Use your CD's on trash, if necessary. Yes, on trash. The good tanks in the game do this, the good dps in the game do this...the healer is not (and should not be) exempt.

I am more than willing to help any healer that is struggling in any way that I can, but I don't have sympathy for those who refuse to adapt, and ask others to change so they don't have to.

Riôt
Reply Quote
I was just healing a group in heroic shado-pan monestary. This was about my 6th heroic in a row, the previous 5 had no issues at all. I get in there with a tank that has about 30k more hp than me and my group pulls the entire first room. I kept all but one dps alive while we killed literally the whole first room and as I'm feeling a really proud sense of accomplishment while stopping the drink the tank darts ahead. I say I'm drinking to which the whole group flips out, calls me numerous profanities in caps and then charges into the next boss which closes the doors locking me out. They wipe obviously and then of course blame me. So we go back in and fight the boss to which they do a terrible job not avoiding any damage basically but we get through alive. I of course have to drink again after a boss fight and this time the extra 8 seconds of drinking was clearly too much and they kicked me. This is what you have to look forward to in 90 heroics. Are there really fresh 90 healers healing freshly geared 90 tanks through chain pulls without drinking? And i don't want to hear from people under level 90 because i didn't need a single drink until heroics.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
@Ryst:

It's an all too common mentality among tanks and dps, especially when they're used to charging through things. You saw the same thing when Cata first came out—although then you saw it earlier than heroics. The system now is even more problematic, because normal dungeons (with the possible exception of the tail end of Shadow-Pan Monastery) are incredibly easy.

That facility helps foster unreal expectations on the parts of the tank and dps.

However, yes, there are likely groups capable of chain pulling without drinks. You will almost certainly not find them in LFD. I'd warrant any group doing that is a full guild group on vent coordinating cooldowns (ie: preparing for/doing challenge modes).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I had really bad mana issues for the first few, but now that I have slightly better gear (as do the tanks I have been running with) I have to drink much less often.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I really can't be the only who thinks everything except Shado-Pan on heroic, is insanely easy. 90% of time I stand there doing nothing. And its not that Monks are OP, people just don't take any damage, and the only CC I've seen is on a boss in Mogu'shan Palace. I actually hope they increase the difficulty.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/28/2012 03:15 AMPosted by Jadefox
I really can't be the only who thinks everything except Shado-Pan on heroic, is insanely easy. 90% of time I stand there doing nothing. And its not that Monks are OP, people just don't take any damage, and the only CC I've seen is on a boss in Mogu'shan Palace. I actually hope they increase the difficulty.

The trash is more difficult than the bosses.

However, I've seen groups wipe on the last boss repeatedly. Pugs just do not want to burn the Gripping Hatreds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Sin
09/27/2012 10:55 PMPosted by Ryst
I was just healing a group in heroic shado-pan monestary. This was about my 6th heroic in a row, the previous 5 had no issues at all. I get in there with a tank that has about 30k more hp than me and my group pulls the entire first room. I kept all but one dps alive while we killed literally the whole first room and as I'm feeling a really proud sense of accomplishment while stopping the drink the tank darts ahead. I say I'm drinking to which the whole group flips out, calls me numerous profanities in caps and then charges into the next boss which closes the doors locking me out. They wipe obviously and then of course blame me. So we go back in and fight the boss to which they do a terrible job not avoiding any damage basically but we get through alive. I of course have to drink again after a boss fight and this time the extra 8 seconds of drinking was clearly too much and they kicked me. This is what you have to look forward to in 90 heroics. Are there really fresh 90 healers healing freshly geared 90 tanks through chain pulls without drinking? And i don't want to hear from people under level 90 because i didn't need a single drink until heroics.

I hear yah. I had one dungeon last night the tank got overconfident cut no one had died yet in Shado-pan Monestary, so he decided to pull a whole big group of Sha mobs while i was trying to drink. with 25% mana i obviously couldn keep the group up. So now i have a new policy, if i'm drinking and they pull, I let them die. u can go res them after the fight anyways if you hadn't thrown any heals. And being kicked> than leaving. You get no penalties for being kicked, prlly find a new group faster anyways.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]