Anybody else totally miserable leveling?

90 Gnome Priest
I hate leveling with the passion of a thousand fiery suns.

If I go shadow, I have a very low HP bar and get much closer to dying (and actually die on normal quest mobs).

If I go disc (which I have for the majority) it takes me FOREVER to kill things, and I eat up mana quite quickly, typically using the shadowfiend guy every other pull or so.

Because I strictly heal (typically) I blame my lack of shadow knowledge on the dying thing, but I just level disc instead. It takes a long, long time to kill a same level mob, but at least I don't die when I accidentally get knocked back into a second (or third) one.

I said when I level my druid, I will either tank or heal, and find a leveling partner that is spec'd the opposite and ONLY quest with them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/30/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Niktesla
The heal spec DPS rotation is probably somewhat similar to the damage spec rotation.

Not sure if serious.

Specifically, with the 'pruning' of spells that has been happening the last two expacs healers don't get access to many DPS specific spells. As a resto druid, I don't get Starsurge, Sunfire or Starfire and that's barely scratching the surface of balance spells. On the feral side resto doesn't get Savage Roar (which must be constantly kept up) or Rip (important bleed and a major part of feral DPS).

The holy paladin doesn't get Templar's Verdict, Divine Storm, Hammer of the Righteous or Inquisition.

The priest doesn't get Mind Blast, Mind Sear, VT, and on and on. . .

I didn't even get into cooldowns, procs, mastery, passives or utility that are major factors in keeping yourself alive as DPS (like interrupts). The assertion that heal spec DPS rotation is probably somewhat similar to the damage spec rotation is completely on crack.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
09/30/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Zyleia
The heal spec DPS rotation is probably somewhat similar to the damage spec rotation.

The holy paladin doesn't get Templar's Verdict, Divine Storm, Hammer of the Righteous or Inquisition.

Or holy wrath or consec or any kind of AoE besides SoR which hits in the double digits and doesn't proc off our spells.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Isn't it possible to level solely through dungeons?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'm leveling as disc. And, no, not miserable. I had to swap around my keys constantly until I got it down good though.
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
Well that's just plain not true. If a healer could do good damage at the same time as doing good healing then yes, you'd have a point. For example, if I could do 20k HPS at the same time as doing 20k DPS, then yes, that would make DPS classes fairly obsolete.

But that's not what anyone is asking for

Its 100% true. People are specifically asking for more DPS while keeping the same amount of healing. The fact that you can't do both simultaneously is irrelevant because the potential would be there if you could do both.

09/30/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Zyleia
Not sure if serious.

I didn't realize so much was cut from the other classes, my bad.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
09/30/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Wasselin

It's possible to level solely through mining. It sucks a lot though, as with sitting around on dungeon queues.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/27/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Elethia
So, perhaps you don't know this, but it's entirely possible to level as Disc.

I leveled as Disc. Took me three days of solid playing, but I did grind out to 87 in dungeons only. That helped. I mean, it takes 34 Smites to kill a Fightened Mushbeast. I can do in in less than 45 seconds if I blow all my cool downs, then it's about 20 seconds. It's not like I'm bitter that when Cascade pulled 10 mobs an Alliance Paladin came by and mowed them ALL down in 20 seconds. Or the Draenai Ele Shaman who mowed down the 10 mobs and saved my life. Or the Human DK who took down all the mobs I accidentally aggro'd in the time I had to Shield and Flash Heal.

No, I'm not bitter at all ;)

It takes longer when you're Disc / Holy. It really does. There's no two ways about it. World Bosses 1 or 2 shot me. It's annoying when I see Melee classes solo them. But such is the way of the Healer.

Healing PuGs in Heroics.... not possible at this time. :P
Edited by Feythylan on 9/30/2012 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
09/30/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Wasselin
Sub-MOP, yes. Dungeon XP seems to take a sever nosedive somewhere around 80, and it crashes and burns at 85. Whereas in lowbie dungeons you'll get a respectable level or two per dungeon, it slowly peters off to half a level, or a quarter, but in MOP dungeons with quests I barely got 15% of a level. Not worth it imo. YMMV.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I leveled as Resto from 30 - 68. At 68 I finally had enough gold for dual spec and made my OS Ele so I could go back to leveling Ele.

Healing will always be my bread and butter, but I will never quest Resto again. Thats never fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I leveled as Disc from 85-90. just hit 90 yesterday - and I'm a slow leveler in general. I hate questing. And I gotta say, it's fun to level as Disc even if it's slow. I can tank and kite quite a few mobs and slowly kill 'em off. Mindbender + Power Infusion and instant holy fire, smite smite smite along with SW: Pain certainly is the way to go. I even managed to solo a rare by myself at 87 -- even if it took a while.

I tried shadow the other night to see if it's much faster, and since I wasn't that great at shadow, the speed of me killing mobs is about the same as disc, so I went back to disc. Totally switching that shadow spec now for a holy spec and test holy in dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
My desire to get to 90 in time for tuesday during a horrendously busy week outweighed my absolute loathing for dps.

Now I just pray that I don't need to go dps to fill a spot in the raid.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
09/29/2012 11:41 PMPosted by Niktesla
Leveling as a tank or healer is my least favorite part of this game. We should get bonus XP when we hit LFD to make up for the fact that questing is that much slower for us.

No healers shouldn't. Just go a DPS spec for questing. Dual spec is there for a reason. Stop being an idiot and just DPS for five levels while soloing.

Then you end up with the wrong gear when you hit 90 and you're either rolling need on healing items and pissing off the actual healer, or not healing for a few weeks while they get decked out and don't care anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I feel the same way. I hate managing two sets of gear. I dont play DPS, all my toons are healers...

Questing as a holy paladin is judge, holy shock and...denounce I think? That's it. Not only is the damage subpar but three skills = boring as hell....and no AOE - they took away consecrate from us.
Edited by Morce on 10/1/2012 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I feel the same way. I hate managing two sets of gear. I dont play DPS, all my toons are healers...

Questing as a holy paladin is judge, holy shock and...denounce I think? That's it. Not only is the damage subpar but three skills = boring as hell....and no AOE - they took away consecrate from us.

Why do you judge? It's actually just holy shock and denounce. If you pick of glyph of harsh words you can use Word of Glory as an attack, but I'm not sure there is really a point to doing that.

Personally, I'm going to level in dungeons. If I don't make it to level 90 by the time my subscription runs out... I'm not trying to be threatening, but I don't have patience anymore to endure something I don't find fun and don't want to do in order to do something I do want to do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Yep, every other healing class can switch specs to quest and keep the same gear. Holy Paladins need to build a whole extra set of gear.

No AoE is a major bummer and makes many quests an absolute chore.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Why do you judge? It's actually just holy shock and denounce. If you pick of glyph of harsh words you can use Word of Glory as an attack, but I'm not sure there is really a point to doing that.

Well, if you don't use WoG to damage as well, you basically have no HP dump while leveling., And if you glyph for WoG to increase your damage, then you'd want to cast it anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk

Yep, every other healing class can switch specs to quest and keep the same gear. Holy Paladins need to build a whole extra set of gear.

No AoE is a major bummer and makes many quests an absolute chore.

Monks will have to as well...which I am not looking forward too. I'm kind of in the same boat as Wasselin, though I plan on using Archaeology exp as a way to distract myself if I get a little burnt out on dungeons. I also heard there are Pet Battle quests and dailies that give level appropriate exp? Not sure on that. Basically I don't plan on doing any quests at all if I can help it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Monks will have to as well...which I am not looking forward too. I'm kind of in the same boat as Wasselin, though I plan on using Archaeology exp as a way to distract myself if I get a little burnt out on dungeons. I also heard there are Pet Battle quests and dailies that give level appropriate exp? Not sure on that. Basically I don't plan on doing any quests at all if I can help it.

Don't you get a spellpower to AP conversion, though? I'd think leveling in the mistweaver spec was easier than leveling in other specs because of that. Kinda like how druids can go kitty with their healing gear.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Have to say, I'm not having the OP's problem!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]