general spell "Battle Pet Training"
passive. 'see your trainer.

When I 'talk' to the priest trainer I get;
Priest trainer box:
How do I reset my Talents
class specializations
glyphs
learn dual specializations

There's nothing about the spell or learning it here.
The spell is 'colored' so, presumably active but it
doesn't do anything if I clik on it.

When my 12th level priest is battling a coyote or sometimes
a bob-cat a shield shaped symbol appears over the animal.
It slow-flashes from blue to gold.
What does the symbol mean? What am I supposed to do to
make it 'work'? left/right/middle clicking doesn't 'do' anything.
It's a passive spell so there's no way to bring it down to the battle
bar. I've even tried 'not fighting back' by putting the priest's staff
back in his bag. Of course then he fights just using fists as soon as
you 'select' the animal. the power word shield and flash heal can keep
him 'healthy' for almost forever, but that doesn't change anything.

I think the blue/gold shield might have something to do with making the animal
into a battle pet, but that's just conjecture.
Does anyone know how to activate the battle pet training spell
Or, know what the blue-2-gold colored shield shape is for?
90 Draenei Shaman
There are lots of types of trainers, Battle Pet Trainers are only the newest. Ask a guard in Stormwind for directions. The guard will put a mark on your map showing the location of the Battle Pet Trainer, or whatever else you ask for that's on the guard's list.

Your class trainer...priest and all other classes....are hardly used at all now, as of MoP. Previously, you had to visit your class trainer to learn each spell. Every time you leveled, you checked to see if there were new spells to learn, and you went to the class trainer.

Other types of trainers are for professions such as skinning, mining, enchanting, fishing, cooking, first aid....etc etc. Some of those trainers are combined at the lowest levels, but you still have to see the individual trainers to progress.

I don't know about the shield, but regarding "selecting" a target and starting to fight: A left click merely selects a target, and does not start the fight. Right clicking a target will start an interaction with it....so for an enemy or mob, you will start to fight.
Edited by Nebliina on 9/28/2012 11:09 AM PDT
48 Orc Warlock
You need to see the battle pet trainer. Just like you will need to see the riding trainer when you get to level 20.

Now where would that guy be.... You probably don't want the one I found in Brill the Forsaken town.

And I can't remember the name of the town (or the area) you go to after you leave the Dwarf starting area. But I bet it's there.

Sorry, I can't help you with the shield. And I haven't gotten around to battle pets yet.
The trainer you want to learn the pet battle skill is "behind" the Dwarven District near the area where the portals to Cataclysm zones are. {edit-> in Stormwind. I don't know where there are others if there are.} I believe that the way to get there without flying is to go behind the Heroes call board in front of the bank, but am not too sure as it's been a long while since I even tried to without flying.

Before you go there, you might want to be aware that it costs around 100 gold (depending upon rep discounts) to buy the skill. If this is your first character you probably don't have that much. [And I just realized now why someone was asking for gold in that general area on chat...]

The "shield" you are referring to indicates something other than Pet battles - possibly that your opponent is becoming "enraged", or has activated a defensive state skill.

Pet battles will be against the "critter" type animals, like rabbits and squirrels, etc., once you learn the skill. They will show on the minimap as a "green hand" type icon, and will have a "green hand" type icon over them as they scurry about. You right click on them to start the pet battle. Until you learn the skill though, you won't see anything special about them. And I still don't know how to tell (if you can at all) what quality they are without starting a fight with them.

Areas seem to have critters that are somewhere around roughly 1/3 of the "player" level range for the area you are in, so you will want to target levels appropriately for leveling your battle pets. And at the higher levels, one or more extra wild pets may join in so take that into account.

Good luck!

<S>
Edited by Sylth on 9/28/2012 11:26 AM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
Battle pets are not mobs. They basically look like critters. If you can attack it the way you'd attack a mob, it's not a battle pet. If you learned battle pet training and turned on pet tracking, there will be a small green "paw" symbol over the tamable pets and they'll appear on the minimap as well.

I have no idea what's going on with the shield. Can you post a screenshot?
09/28/2012 11:25 AMPosted by Sylth
And I still don't know how to tell (if you can at all) what quality they are without starting a fight with them.

I have developed a very intuitive way to tell quite accurately what quality the pet is as soon as you start a pet battle.

It does require capturing one pet as a "control" to get a baseline. This pet can be released after you capture it.

Basically, you fight a pet battle and capture the first pet. Take note of the pet's quality when you capture it, then look at it's Health bar. Take note of how much HP it has.

For this example I'll use a level 4 pet because it's the most fresh in my memory.

What I have found is based on pet levels 1-10 thus far and is roughly as follows:

Poor quality level 4 pet has ~335-375 hp
Common quality level 4 has ~380-445 hp
Uncommon quality level 4 has ~446-485 hp
Rare quality level 4 has ~486-530+

NOTE: These are NOT exact numbers, these are very rough estimates based on my personal experience training my pets up to level 10 (so far). That said, using this method, I was able to find 4-5 rare pets last night in about 30 minutes.

Also when going to a new area, capturing your first pet as a "baseline" is necessary to gauge Pet level/Quality vs. HP levels of potential pets in the area. This "baseline gauge" pet can be immediately released if it is a poor quality pet, then just figure roughly 75-100 HP differences between the different quality of pets from that point. Catch the pets with the highest HP you find.
20 Dwarf Hunter
thanks all

but I just wanted to know the answer to the three questions.

First is there some where in Wow where there's a glossary of terms/icons/symbols/etc telling us exactly what they mean and how they're used? to the staff: If not, why not. The people who program the game have to have this in order to write the program(s).

Second: How do I invoke the "Train battle Pet" spell, and when am I suppose to use it?

Third: What it the meaning of the blue/gold shield shape, and how do I use it?

Interestingly, that symbol showed up when my character Gnarla was fighting a Bob-cat.
I did 'something' (have no idea what) and a window popped up telling me "You already have TOO MANY pets!" I guess one (Bear) is too many.

I also found the "battle" pet trainer just outside of Storm Wind's north wall and she offered to sell me a bunny rabbit or a tabby cat. I don't consider either of these to be a "Battle" pet.
I'm guessing the 'new' battle pet is the old vanity pet.

Now if it were a temple trained Siamese fighting cat that I could whirl around my head by the tail and throw into the midst of the battle... you know the ones that were trained to land on the enemy's head and claw their eyes out?

That at least would be helpful... or at least distracting. Probably allow you to fight bad guys four or five levels above you while they were trying to get the cat off.
90 Night Elf Druid
First is there some where in Wow where there's a glossary of terms/icons/symbols/etc telling us exactly what they mean and how they're used? to the staff: If not, why not. The people who program the game have to have this in order to write the program(s).

Game developers aren't in this forum, and they can't respond to player posts anyway. There's a useful glossary of terms in one of the threads stickied to the top of this forum.

09/28/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Knarla
Second: How do I invoke the "Train battle Pet" spell, and when am I suppose to use it?

There's no such spells as "Train Battle Pet" that I can find in the database. Are you talking about "Battle Pet Training" in the spellbook? If so, you don't use it. It's just a passive ability that lets your character have access to the battle pets feature.

Third: What it the meaning of the blue/gold shield shape, and how do I use it?

None of us have a clue what you mean by this, so posting a screenshot of it might help.

09/28/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Knarla

Pretty much. There are more details here:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Pet_Battle_System
90 Night Elf Rogue
I also found the "battle" pet trainer just outside of Storm Wind's north wall and she offered to sell me a bunny rabbit or a tabby cat. I don't consider either of these to be a "Battle" pet.

Have you ever played Pokemon? Wandering through the game encountering little creatures and using your own little creatures to injure them enough so you can capture them? THAT's basically Pet Battles in WoW. You use your little vanity pets to capture little critters to add to your collection, make a Pet Battle team, level them up fighting other creatures and challenge other players in a "pet battle" duel.
Baloo,

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21362-PetBattleQualityGlowMoP.html

This add-on takes the guesswork out of it. It shows the quality of the pet in the name displayed, once you start the battle. What I don't know of a way to do is how to determine the quality without starting a battle - or if there is even a way.

<S>

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/index/

I haven't touched the pet battle stuff yet, but my guess is those are probably just starter pets for players who hadn't collected a bazillion companion pets before the Pet Battle system was implemented. That site lists every possible companion pet though, many of which should seem more suitable, such as Wolpertinger's Tankard from Brewfest.

Now if it were a temple trained Siamese fighting cat that I could whirl around my head by the tail and throw into the midst of the battle... you know the ones that were trained to land on the enemy's head and claw their eyes out?

That at least would be helpful... or at least distracting. Probably allow you to fight bad guys four or five levels above you while they were trying to get the cat off.

Pet Battles have nothing at all to do with any class, or with combat. It's a totally separate feature in which you pit little vanity pets against each other. As mentioned, it's basically Pokemon, except they can't call it that.
Baloo,

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21362-PetBattleQualityGlowMoP.html

This add-on takes the guesswork out of it. It shows the quality of the pet in the name displayed, once you start the battle. What I don't know of a way to do is how to determine the quality without starting a battle - or if there is even a way.

<S>

Ahh I understand. No there isn't a way to tell pre-battle. They all appear as a level 1 critter out in the world and before you engage them from what I've seen.
20 Dwarf Hunter
ok, I have screen shots. How to I upload them?
90 Night Elf Rogue
ok, I have screen shots. How to I upload them?

You have to post them to a 3rd party site (like imageshack) and then link the URL of the image here.

One of the limitations of the WoW forums is that there's no private messaging function nor is there a communal or per account "post board".
Edited by Avanna on 9/29/2012 8:50 AM PDT
20 Dwarf Hunter
btw after an encounter, if I leave power word shield on and just run off (not particularly wanting to kill the coyote for no reason.) the blue/gold shield persists over the characters head for quite some time.
90 Human Mage
Could you post on your priest or link its Armoury page? It sounds to me like you're getting some sort of proc from one of your passive abilities (that's a good thing).
20 Dwarf Hunter
my priest doesn't seem to be in the pull down list after Knarla
and I don't know how to link it's Armoury page. Can you tell me how to do that?
20 Dwarf Hunter
btw I get the same blue/gold shield with Gnarla, so maybe it would be easier to post her
Armoury page. I just don't have any screen shots of her.
20 Human Priest
Knarla here again.
I was mess'n around w the pulldown and found Llewelyn (the K is silent, like in Knife) :)
so here's his picture and possibly what you need?
90 Pandaren Hunter
We need to see an in-game screenshot of the "shield" you are talking about.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]