Patch 5.0 & MOP created bad fps & stutter

(Locked)

Has there even been an acknowledgement that there is an issue here from Blizzard?
/sign I'm done downloading needless thing after needless thing. Guess who has updated his drivers no less than 3 times, restarted his modem, rebooted several times, did several trace routes and numerous setting adjustments, THIS GUY.

I can't meet Blizzard halfway on this any longer. If this continues, I'm cancelling my subscription Friday.
90 Human Mage
/Bump because I should not have to reinstall WoW each patch to fix errors. And sometimes, that doesn't even help. >.>
85 Human Death Knight
After the patch, my character's movements became jerky. Flying over stormwind could only be described as a series of lurches. Latencies which had been consistent at 80 home/80 world in cata, were often in the hundreds. Fps, which were always a problem, typically around 5-8 during combat in cata, more often dropped lower, making it unplayable. This performance was poor enough that I decided not to buy mop. I was also having some weird graphical issues of black patches on the ground where it was sand or snow, but that was fixed changing from directx11 to directx9. Then that computer died.

So for the past few days, I've been trying to run wow on an XP machine with the minimum required specifications. Blizzard claims this machine and its graphics card are supported. I've spent the past few days trying to get wow to run. The game just freezes, for seconds--or minutes--at a time. Latencies are typically in the low hundreds for home and mid-high hundreds world. My server is one of the lowest medium pop servers and the world latency often spikes into the thousands. Sometimes many of the graphic elements just disappear, such as road textures, user interface, and all characters. The game crashes frequently. I've been unable to play and even walking from the mailbox to the bank is often a challenge. I've got all my graphic and sound settings at the lowest possible, except that I had to put the screen resolution and view distance up one notch because of legibility and navigation problems. I don't have any add ons installed. I'm not running other programs. I've updated my video card driver. For a while I couldn't log in either but plugging my modem directly into my computer seems to have fixed that. I've disabled various things, pinged, etc. sent Blizzard various files. Maybe they will come up with some miracle cure, but my guess is that wow is simply not going to run. No doubt they'll blame it all on this low end computer, (they've already said I should have more memory, but if that's the case then they shouldn't claim you can run wow on a machine like this...). I know the same problems were there on a better computer that did have more memory. I am expecting to cancel my sub this week, if support cannot help me get satisfactory performance. Maybe I'll try again when I have a better computer, but I'm interested to see whether these issues are resolved since there seems to be no guarantee that even the latest and greatest computer will work.
Edited by Taurra on 10/10/2012 7:25 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Warlock
/sign

Just picked up the xpack and to my horror I've run into the same stuttering and lag problems. Ugh. Glad to hear I'm not the only one though.
86 Goblin Hunter
Syk
Apparently this issue is shared by a LOT of people. Wow. O.o

My post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794033207

To sum up: Same thing. High end machine, worked fine before MoP (and even in the MoP beta), but now is totally screwy with crap FPS. I am lucky insofar is that mine is still PLAYABLE, just frustratingly jerky.
100 Tauren Druid
Here too. I'm doing fine then, suddenly my frame rate will drop to like, 5. I don't know what causes it, everything here's updated, my internets fine. Everything else runs fine, only problems with WoW

I was checking a few things, and from what seems to appear- My WoW client had switched to 64 bit? At least that's what it's showing here. May just be reading something wrong here. But it used to be 32 for me

Well anyway, the FPS drop isn't too common for me
Edited by Yzzami on 10/11/2012 1:19 AM PDT
90 Orc Warlock
I have seen various blue posts about them knowing about this issue, and claiming that t is 'in the works to be corrected' however this is kind of an annoying issue, prior to the patch I was getting around 45-60fps textures all on high environment on ultra save for ground clutter and particle density on ultra everything else was on low. Now to get anywhere near that I have to put the whole thing on low and look at the sky.

Also another fun filled problem I keep running into. if I use /reload in a dungeon my FPS drops to 2fps for the rest of the dungeon until I drop from the group, logout then log back in. Ain't that some fun filled crazy.
90 Goblin Priest
my laptop was working perfectly fine at thanks gibing dinner. then when i got home after those two days it just started to say that WoW is not responding. i completely re installed windows and wow.. now it will say its not responding for 2 minutes. I can play the game after wards but it flickers.. and I find i have to double click a lot..
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm still having problems...bump
90 Human Paladin
I only really notice this when im flying. When im on the ground doing stuff i dont notice but when im flying at 310% + crusader the stuff I fly by is choppy but my fps stays high. Weird.
100 Night Elf Priest
I have an AMD-8120 at 3.4Ghz, 8GB of 1600 RAM, ASUS 7850, 2TB 7200 RPM drive, its not maxing out my system at all and i have a ping of 100ms and im still getting this problem I have tried 0 add-ons even had it my SSD for awhile when this started happening so i moved it off to my other drive. I have no clue what is happening but blizzard need to fix this it can happen any time from 5 people being in a dungeon to just flying around in Dal. I'm going to open a ticket to see what they say I stopped playing for a week to see if they get this fixed

FPS around 30+ normal in Dal.
FPS drop <5 FPS
90 Night Elf Hunter
I too am having this problem. Bought a new video card last week. Was running great. Now it's unplayable. If this is not fixed soon. I will not be playing much longer.
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't know if anyone is interested, but I just did a full break down of what settings is causing what I feel is the majority of low performance on everyones machine, from low end to highend.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794482344

I posted for another website as well, in fact, it has the images/results ready for you to see, you don't have to go look anywhere else.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1315242/mop-fps-analysis-5-0-5-new-expansions-performance-vs-high-performance-machine/0_50
90 Orc Hunter
Signing this, unbelievably !@#$ customer support happening here, unless they're all stroking their metre-long goatee's attempting to come up with a reason, it's becoming clear their poorly treated customer service reps are just reading from scripts and can never give clear responses when it comes to individual problems.
90 Troll Mage
I don't know if anyone is interested, but I just did a full break down of what settings is causing what I feel is the majority of low performance on everyones machine, from low end to highend.

I posted for another website as well, in fact, it has the images/results ready for you to see, you don't have to go look anywhere else.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1315242/mop-fps-analysis-5-0-5-new-expansions-performance-vs-high-performance-machine/0_50

Very deep analysis there. In the end you have come to the conclusion that I feel most of us who have troubleshooted this issue since Aug 28th...I too have only been able to play it with no stutter, once liquid and shadows are below good...The liquid setting having being the biggest cause of these issues, followed by the combinations of but not limited to shadows, sunshafts, and ssao setting, with some multi-sampling issues to boot. It is very frustration and shows a clear arrogant mindset of blizzard in the way that this is being handled, not handled, er ignored.

I personally feel this issue was a by choice situation and that they were fully aware of this particular problem and chose to go with it, most likely on a premise that there will only be a few affected and that it won't hurt their bottom line. I have an amd and intel system. I also have an nvidia card and an amd card. There is nothing else for my to try, everything is perfect on my end. All tips, troubleshooting and the like done and cleared all to no improvement. I have played blizz's forum/tech support/bug/ and ticket run around game.

I'm fed up. This is just f****d up!!!!
Edited by Arkticsizzle on 10/11/2012 9:30 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid

Very deep analysis there. In the end you have come to the conclusion that I feel most of us who have troubleshooted this issue since Aug 28th...I too have only been able to play it with no stutter, once liquid and shadows are below good...The liquid setting having being the biggest cause of these issues, followed by the combinations of but not limited to shadows, sunshafts, and ssao setting, with some multi-sampling issues to boot. It is very frustration and shows a clear arrogant mindset of blizzard in the way that this is being handled, not handled, er ignored.

I personally feel this issue was a by choice situation and that they were fully aware of this particular problem and chose to go with it, most likely on a premise that there will only be a few affected and that it won't hurt their bottom line. I have an amd and intel system. I also have an nvidia card and an amd card. There is nothing else for my to try, everything is perfect on my end. All tips, troubleshooting and the like done and cleared all to no improvement. I have played blizz's forum/tech support/bug/ and ticket run around game.

I'm fed up. This is just f****d up!!!!

It is frustrating, but the main conclusion was to at least show that there is an inconsistency in performance within the game itself, and there is only one logical conclusion, there has to be problematic code.

I moved to Valley of the Four Winds, I redid some testing. Nowhere near a single drop of water, I set the Liquid Quality to Ultra, without a moments hesitation 100fps to a low 40fps.

Although arrogant, I was hoping at least sitting down getting some numbers out there, it might speed things up in a response. I know my computer well enough to know when I am having a problem or its the game itself. So to say I know what I am talking about has little weight on the internet. The best I could is help another person see that there is an underlying problem the way I just kind of pick up on it.

On HWBOT, I am ranked 3rd, previously 1st, in North America in 2 GPU water cooled setups, if anyone is curious (User: RagingCain, 16th in World)
http://hwbot.org/benchmark/3dmark11_-_performance/rankings?cores=2#start=0#interval=20#coolingType=3#region=north_america
The game does have a flaw in its rendering methodology, whether it is with Water Tessellation or through its multiple object rendering, compounded with Multisampling, it isn't working as it should be behind the scenes.

Everyone should keep in mind, that while WoW looks very similar graphically to Cataclysm, a lot of code was reworked, a lot of support was removed for older hardware/optimizations may be botched or missing. I think that is a part of the problem. For every 5 threads I see, of high end machines struggling, there are probably 2 to 3 for machines with not just old, but anemic hardware. Blues have already stated they have pushed forward by dropping older hardware support.

The thing that bothers me is a few blues have said they haven't been able to reproduce it (I forget where they said it.) That means they are lying or they don't have high enough machines themselves.
Edited by Höneybadger on 10/11/2012 10:09 PM PDT
90 Orc Hunter
bump
90 Human Rogue
Having the same issues except mine didnt appear to get bad until the recent small patch it installed this past Tuesday. I quest at around 5-8 fps and any BG and im at 1fps. This is stupid especially since we pay to play this game which is not really playable now...
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
/signed !
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]