Account locked due to "suspicious activity"

90 Undead Hunter
I just received an e-mail from Blizzard when I tried to log into the forums saying that my account had been locked due to "suspicious activity." After going through the process of resetting my password and getting back on here, making sure everything is okay (it seems to be), I'm really curious to know just what suspicious activity has taken place. The e-mail that I was sent gave no indication whatsoever as to what actually occurred.

So... how do I find out what happened? Was it something I did to trigger it? Only thing I can think of is that I put up about 20 auctions earlier today, while usually I only do maybe 3 or 4 every few days. Or did someone break into my account? My original password was rather obscure and moderately complex, so I find that hard to believe -- though not impossible.

Just really confused by this and hoping I needn't worry further now that I've changed my password and such.
Reply Quote
25 Night Elf Druid
Usually it's logging in your account from a different location
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
I'm really curious to know just what suspicious activity has taken place.

Did you log in from a different location than usual?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Ahh, okay. That's probably it -- I'm babysitting my niece at my sister's house right now, logged in from there instead of my place. Seems a bit drastic to send such a dramatic, yet vague e-mail just because I logged in somewhere else.

Does this mean I'll go through another lockdown when I log back in at home?
Edited by Malicirin on 9/29/2012 8:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
25 Night Elf Druid
Does this mean I'll go through another lockdown when I logged back in at home?

Not usually.

But it **IS** possible.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
09/29/2012 08:11 PMPosted by Malicirin

Not likely. The system is used to seeing you log in from there and will likely be fine with it.

Think of it this way, Blizzard is just taking some strong steps to ensure that your account is indeed secure!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Alright, good to know. Appreciate the quick replies, thanks guys!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
09/29/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Perl

Not likely. The system is used to seeing you log in from there and will likely be fine with it.

Think of it this way, Blizzard is just taking some strong steps to ensure that your account is indeed secure!

True. I'd rather it be overly secure than not, but it was rather surprising to see that e-mail. They should explain in it that they've detected a new IP logging in or something.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Yay, thanks for this thread. Same thing just happened to me lol. And I AM at a different computer
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Mage
Just FYI, it's not just logging in at different computers that can trigger the warning. You can also have the same thing happen if you log in from different locations using a laptop, or if you use a wifi hotspot as your primary internet connection and do a lot of traveling.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
same thing is happening to me but I am logging into wow armory from android and never had this problem...besides my previous pw was very strong and so was my new one and same for the 3rd pw,I hope it's a glitch on the website's end as I am not doing anything wrong at all
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]